Author Topic: Eagle will be part of Fusion360  (Read 64092 times)

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
Re: Eagle will be part of Fusion360
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »
Matt Berggren from Autodesk estimates it will take them at least 1 year to fully integrate Eagle into Fusion 360 and another 1 year to herd people from desktop Eagle to Fusion Eagle:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/will-eagle-as-a-standalone-product-disappear-following-the/m-p/9313704#M28372

In other words, desktop Eagle will be toast in 2 years, give or take.

Not just desktop, non-integrated Eagle, but Eagle on Linux. It's hard to phrase that as anything other than a product kill, though Autodesk will try.

Offline hanakp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2020, 06:00:06 pm »
BTW, integration into Fusion will also be the third major Eagle GUI overhaul in the last 4 years. Take that as you will.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2020, 06:03:25 pm »
Not really - everything up to this point has been largely incremental. Lipstick on a pig......

Fusion360 is the first effort to enter the 21st century.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2020, 03:14:57 am »
Not much in this update directly for Eagle users other than maybe the Team side of things. This only went live today.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/march-2020-product-update-whats-new/

The major update of note is the refinement of the 3D sketching capabilities and Fusion now has a built in Slicer capability for 3D printing. Early quick look at the 3D printing side of it and video here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg2958130/#msg2958130
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline escapekit

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2020, 11:42:13 am »
Please, avoid trying to design something in Fusion Electronics. I've been pulling my hair for the last week. |O
There are more bugs than features. It is a joke. I hope they get their s**t together soon because releasing this "thing" to the public is not serious. :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2020, 07:50:59 pm »
Please, avoid trying to design something in Fusion Electronics. I've been pulling my hair for the last week. |O
There are more bugs than features. It is a joke. I hope they get their s**t together soon because releasing this "thing" to the public is not serious. :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

I made this determination after about 30 minutes.

It is currently a sad little experiment that should not have escaped the developers test environment. I do, however, believe they will get it dialed in in due time. The major alarm for me is the initially, they BROKE the existing workflow and I had no immediate fallback. They fixed that so at least I can function normally until they get F360 Electronics to a point of usability.

Offline escapekit

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2020, 01:16:32 am »

I made this determination after about 30 minutes.

It is currently a sad little experiment that should not have escaped the developers test environment. I do, however, believe they will get it dialed in in due time. The major alarm for me is the initially, they BROKE the existing workflow and I had no immediate fallback. They fixed that so at least I can function normally until they get F360 Electronics to a point of usability.
Sadly I was too excited about the possibilities it promised that I kept lying to myself until half an hour ago. I've spent a couple hours routing a PCB (the same I've needed a whole week fighting Fusion to design the schematics, footprints and packages for) and in this amount of time I must have saved at least 5 times. Suddenly Fusion crashes and when I open it back up all the routing is lost in the 2D PCB but present on the 3D PCB. No way of getting it back there, all the "versions" saved on the last couple of hours of the 2D PCB (what would be the .brd in Eagle) are identical.
Yeah, it looks cool and someday it will be a nice program, but man they shot themselves in the foot.
I expect it will be at least a year until it is somewhat usable. The amount of bugs is staggering. I haven't seen anything this bad in a long time.
It was too good to be true... Now I get why they give it away for free with an Eagle License... because it is useless!

Offline 1sciguy

• Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »
Happy to keep my stand-alone copy of Eagle professional version 6.5.0 from back in 2013.  There is no footprint that I have not been able to make myself and no board I haven't been able to route.  I'm 56 years old and it will probably last for what I need to do for the rest of my life.  No, I don't have integrated Spice, but have never needed it in my field.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE biz & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2020, 07:50:04 pm »
Happy to keep my stand-alone copy of Eagle professional version 6.5.0 from back in 2013.  There is no footprint that I have not been able to make myself and no board I haven't been able to route.  I'm 56 years old and it will probably last for what I need to do for the rest of my life.  No, I don't have integrated Spice, but have never needed it in my field.

Me too!....have V6.5 Pro key as purchased Dec.2013.......always in reserve to CircuitStudio.
Always liked Eagle, just hated the component library management.

Ian,
Ian Johnston - Manufacturer of the PDVS2mini & author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website & Online Shop: www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline glatocha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2020, 03:52:18 pm »
Hi all,

my few adds to the conversation. First, in general I think the whole idea behind it is not bad. To get the pcb into 3D and design around it is ok. And I disagree with the sentence that professionals will not design electronic and mechanic - real professionals will not use fusion 360 at first place and apparently Autodesk do not believe that Eagle was ever a professional softwate (they might have $$$ data to back it up).

Totally agree with all of you that all this integration is a disaster so far. Eagle was not 100% intuitive software but you could get used to it. Now I don't even no where are my files, where are the libraries. Can't modify library.
For example, I have typical SOIC 74HC595 in the project from standard eagle library. it does not have a proper 3D model, so I wanted to change it (using not so bad generator), but... can't overwrite the 3D in the original library. I can make a copy of the library, but the components are already in the design so I would need to delete them and add and connect again :(

Also, there's no print in the option, I need to type "print" like in 1980s :/

and as I am writing this post, my computer is calculating cut in the case. By default it overlaped to the board, so it's cutting through the layers. 2019 i9, 32GB RAM :):)

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2020, 04:24:23 pm »
real professionals will not use fusion 360 at first place and apparently Autodesk do not believe that Eagle was ever a professional softwate (they might have $$$ data to back it up).

I totally disagree. I do agree that F360 isn't TOP TIER professional, the likes of Inventor or Creo or ProE, etc. But plenty of those compete with Solidworks for the professional dollar, and I'd buy Fusion 10 times before I'd buy Solidworks once - as many in this space have.

I think the differentiation is pretty analogous to Eagle vs TOP TIER professional EDA software - nobody evaluating "Allegro vs Altium" thinks "but what about Eagle?" But PLENTY of companies doing legitimate, professional design work just don't have design or business rationale to sink that much money into CAD software, and land on Eagle.

Totally agree with all of you that all this integration is a disaster so far. Eagle was not 100% intuitive software but you could get used to it. Now I don't even no where are my files, where are the libraries. Can't modify library.
For example, I have typical SOIC 74HC595 in the project from standard eagle library. it does not have a proper 3D model, so I wanted to change it (using not so bad generator), but... can't overwrite the 3D in the original library. I can make a copy of the library, but the components are already in the design so I would need to delete them and add and connect again :(

Also, there's no print in the option, I need to type "print" like in 1980s :/

I do agree that the integration is, at this point, unusable, but I think the UI troubles are mostly just a matter of getting used to a new paradigm. And I do think that, in the long run, the "Fusion 360" experience will be much more straightforward and approachable than the Eagle one. For now, the problem is that it's a mishmash of both, slowly but surely plodding through all the legacy and debt that Eagle brings.

The real reason I think it's completely unusable is just that it crashes constantly and takes your data with it. It's simply not stable enough for production use yet (the Electronics workspace, specifically).

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2020, 05:05:58 pm »

I totally disagree. I do agree that F360 isn't TOP TIER professional, the likes of Inventor or Creo or ProE, etc. But plenty of those compete with Solidworks for the professional dollar, and I'd buy Fusion 10 times before I'd buy Solidworks once - as many in this space have.

I think the differentiation is pretty analogous to Eagle vs TOP TIER professional EDA software - nobody evaluating "Allegro vs Altium" thinks "but what about Eagle?" But PLENTY of companies doing legitimate, professional design work just don't have design or business rationale to sink that much money into CAD software, and land on Eagle.

Perhaps I am a good example along with many of the companies that I work with.

I used Solidworks since 1998 along with Mastercam and Camworks. All of which are expensive, professional packages that have a lot to offer. About 2.5 years ago, I was faced with the annual maintenance of Solidworks and Mastercam which was about $3k plus the penalties for skipping previous maintenance coming to about $5k.

I decided to try Fusion360 on a trial to see how it goes.....it went great. I transferred a very complex and very expensive product design with about 1,000 parts over to Fusion. It is a tightly integrated project with a dozen+ circuit boards wrapped in a complicated CNC machined enclosure. The sale price for the product is around $20k/ea and sold to very high level businesses that accept nothing less than perfect.

Fusion easily handled ALL of the mechanical design, CNC machining, documentation drawings, marketing renderings and animations. At that time, there was basic integration with Eagle that allowed a very fast workflow to identify and resolve conflicts with EE and ME.

I never looked back. I love Solidworks, but don't miss it for a second. I love MAstercam, but don't miss it for a second. I only made one project in Altium and loved it - Eagle is still quite a distance from Altium but the integration workflow (separate Eagle and Fusion360) is FAR better than Solidwoks/Altium. The F360 integration has a ways to go, but they are making steady progress.

Many business exclusively use F360 and Eagle because they were accessible when they were small and they don't want the learning curve and expense to change. I spoke with the Altium sales person yesterday and told him that to switch I would drastically increase my software expenses, require a huge transition, a big learning curve and the result would not likely be any better from a business perspective.

I design high layer count high-speed impedance controlled PCB's all the time - all of which are somehow integrated into a complex CNC enclosure or requires some complex thermal control design. Fusion360 has simulation tools to help with cooling designs for electronics built-in.

I am not going to burn money on higher end tools just for bragging rights.

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2020, 06:21:13 pm »
I should add, all the companies I know that transitioned from Eagle to Altium in the past 2 years or so did so for purely workflow-related reasons, and not capability reasons, and workflow is an area Eagle is pushing on HARD right now for development. It's still a mess, but it's very clearly going the right direction. For instance, one company switched because Eagle managed libraries could NOT be shared, and that was an immediate roadblock. The company couldn't (easily) own or control the IP generated by engineers, since it had to be owned by individual subscribers with no method of transfer. That's now completely fixed. The only reason I'd personally do a project in Altium vs Eagle given the choice is that Altium's BOM capabilities and handling of manufacturing data are LIGHTYEARS ahead of eagle. That is, to me, EXTREMELY low hanging fruit in Eagle that just hasn't gotten development priority yet with all the integration work still to do. Ditto KiCad - the crappy workflows around BOM will be easily addressed as soon as Eeschema actually has a Python API, which is on the roadmap (albeit, quite a long way off).

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2020, 08:16:49 pm »
Hi,

Got it NOW that eagle for itself won´t exist anymore....
Today I want to upgrade my free license to the version, which costs appx 18€/month.
Now it´s fusion only and cost 58€ - Way too much for a hobbyist like me.
Eagle ist now for professionals only, what a shame.  :(

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2020, 09:23:20 pm »
Must correct this.
Got a non commerical license for fusion for one year free, eagle changed from free to premium.
I could open eagle in fusion, but I also could open eagle alone, so actually I´m confident with it.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2020, 07:56:30 am »
So what did you pay?
And is there a link to this offer, or did you negotiate it offline?
Thanks!

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2020, 10:27:13 am »
Hi,

Nothing, it´s a one year non-commercial license :

https://www.autodesk.de/products/fusion-360/personal

Signed in, download and install it - That was it.

When I´m open up fusion, it shows that is not a testversion but a personal non-commercial version.
And when I´m open up eagle 9.6.2, it shows it is the premium version instead of free.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2020, 04:12:54 pm »
Thanks! That is a decent offer from Autodesk.

Just makes you wonder what will happen a year from now... I actually paid (a bit more than 100 Euro) for a one-year Standard license, when Autodesk ran their "last chance to get Eagle Standard" promotion earlier this year. But I ended up not using that 9.5 version yet, and did a couple of designs in my 7.6 version instead. I am not ready to lock myself into their subscription model yet and want to see what they offer me when the first year runs out. They have changed their take on the subscription model a bit too often, so I can't say I trust them on this matter.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2020, 04:26:22 pm »
Must correct this.
Got a non commerical license for fusion for one year free, eagle changed from free to premium.
I could open eagle in fusion, but I also could open eagle alone, so actually I´m confident with it.
Be careful you don't lock yourself out of your designs when yout version reverts to the free version. They may make use of features no longer available.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2020, 09:51:27 pm »
Actually I think, I could the one year license extend for another year when it´s close to expiration - If not, with the free license you could at least view every file.
Will report it in 12 months.. ;)

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2021, 01:01:03 am »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:27:21 pm by Simon »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2021, 07:22:59 am »
I recently sold a copy of ...

I'm curious when somebody is going to report you here for spamming the forum  :popcorn:

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2021, 10:25:50 pm »
I recently sold a copy of ...

I'm curious when somebody is going to report you here for spamming the forum  :popcorn:

I just did.

Offline sauerwald

« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2021, 12:12:59 am »
I have a full commercial license for Eagle, and have had since the cadsoft days.   I have a small business and use both mechanical and ecad as a part of that - prior to my own business I worked for a large firm where I used Altium for ECAD, and on the very rare times that I needed MCAD, I had access to Solidworks.

For the type of work that I do now, I prefer Eagle to Altium - I have gripes about it, but working on small, low speed analog boards, I really like having the schematic on one monitor, and the PCB on a second monitor, and having the two always in sync.   Since I get Fusion for free, it is hard to justify the cost to keep a Solidworks licence (about $5K/year), so I use Fusion for the mechanical CAD, and for what I do (mostly sheet metal cabinets) it works fine.   I am not impressed with the Eagle from Fusion for a bunch of reasons - the new managed libraries make everything more difficult (in my opinion, library management was a weakness of Eagle, and is now worse).   The process of updating an eagle design in fusion takes away what was one of the best features of Eagle.

I just renewed my Eagle/Fusion license, but I am keeping an eye on where Autodesk is going with this, and am thinking about learning KiCAD (if I can figure out how to say it).

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2021, 03:17:40 am »
For the third time, I am attempting to get through an entire project in Fusion360 Electronics.

It is still crazy, but at the moment I can get though to the end at least. The first two efforts were total flameouts that could not be finished.

Check out the weird ass library system.

https://youtu.be/Cy7mnUepniY

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf