Author Topic: Eagle will be part of Fusion360  (Read 17217 times)

IanJ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
Re: Eagle will be part of Fusion360
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2021, 05:51:04 pm »
For the third time, I am attempting to get through an entire project in Fusion360 Electronics.

It is still crazy, but at the moment I can get though to the end at least. The first two efforts were total flameouts that could not be finished.

Check out the weird ass library system.

https://youtu.be/Cy7mnUepniY

Because I have the $300 Fusion360 license, I figured I'd try to do something simple with the Electronics/EAGLE thing, which is part of the package.

Total flameout. Trying to navigate the libraries and put parts on a schematic was way more difficult than it should be. Why oh why.

Funny, though, exporting a STEP model of a board from Kicad and importing it into F360 works well.

I mean, I absolutely see the value in having changes made to the PCB layout immediately reflected in the 3D model so the enclosure etc design can continue and be updated. The export-from-Kicad/Import-in-F360 means basically deleting the old board model in F360, importing the update, aligning it, all of that.

But damn, the Autodesk Electronics thing is a disaster.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2021, 09:41:17 pm »

But damn, the Autodesk Electronics thing is a disaster.

At least recently - they are willing to admit that in a public way. The first step to solving a problem is to admit you have one.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2021, 11:09:44 pm »
Trying to navigate the libraries and put parts on a schematic was way more difficult than it should be.

Hm ? Don´t know this problem here.
It´s all the same like working with eagle 7.0 or others.
BTW, licensed the private fusion 360 version, but using only eagle 9.6, which comes as the premium license version when you´re logged in...

Offline latigid on

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2021, 10:25:21 pm »
I'm pretty happy with Fusion360 but the couple of times I tried the electronics part I gave up, even with an extremely simple project of just a few LEDs. Maybe I am simply used to the speed of EAGLE.

Library management somehow seems worse on Fusion. It's probably because I am trying to use v7 libraries but the act of adding a 3D STEP model seems extremely convoluted and difficult.

I wanted 3D models for the boards so I first tried DXF export from v7 (I think there is a better way in v8, right?). But the DXF file took hours to load in Fusion. So I opened my .brd and could get a working model, except that it does not capture the silkscreen layers! As I was using a PCB as a panel, I found a hack somehow by pasting some sort of image as a decal.

When I tried to load legacy files in Fusion, I felt like I could only open the .brd or .sch but never the two in sync.

So I don't really see a good reason to work with finicky cloud software when I have a full v7 license.

Offline Limhes

• Limhes.NET
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2021, 06:50:00 am »
Any news on the future of Eagle on Linux?

I am using Eagle professionally since I am using Linux (long term Windows hater). I really like the integration with Fusion 360 and so does my MCAD colleague who uses Fusion 360 on Mac (also a Windows hater). Our workflow is such, that he gives me a board outline to work with, and some additional space constraints if any, I make the board in Eagle, and push the 3D design to Fusion 360 where he checks the fit. This integration works very well, but we are smart enough not to even try changing the board from Fusion. So, the direction is always Eagle -> Fusion and never the opposite.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2021, 07:24:01 am »
There was a workaround to run Fusion 360 with Linux pre Eagle but I haven't looked at it in the last 6+ months.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf