Author Topic: Is anyone running Eagle 7.7.0 on MacOS 10.15.x (Catalina)? Does it work?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline montemcguireTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The title says it all. I've been happily running Eagle 7.7.0 on 10.11.6 for a number of years, but now I've upgraded my machine to MacOS 10.13.6, and Eagle still seems to work, although I have not put in many hours verifying this.

I'm contemplating further MacOS upgrades to Catalina (10.15.xx) and I am curious if any users here are running Eagle 7.7.0 under Catalina. What say you fine folks??

Best regards,

Monte McGuire

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
Re: Is anyone running Eagle 7.7.0 on MacOS 10.15.x (Catalina)? Does it work?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 06:59:18 am »
I can't answer you'r question because I don't use a Mac.

I'm using Eagle 7.7.0 for Linux (64 bit) and I noticed that when I upgraded my os that it stopped working because
of incompatibilities or deprecated/removed functions in SSL and cryptography libraries.
Fortunately, I still had the older os installation around on a different partition and I copied the older libraries
to the new os which fixed the problem. After that I made a backup of these libraries so now, every time when I upgrade
my OS, I add the backupped libraries and Eagle is happy.
Maybe you can do the same to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Here's some info:

Eagle missing libraries problem:

> ./eagle-lin64-7.7.0.run
Ensure the following libraries are available:
        libssl.so.1.0.0 => not found
        libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => not found

So, when I created symlinks, Eagle was able to find the libraries but a new complaint popped up:

cd /usr/lib64/
sudo ln -s libssl.so.1.1 libssl.so.1.0.0
sudo ln -s libcrypto.so.1.1 libcrypto.so.1.0.0

./eagle: symbol lookup error: ./eagle: undefined symbol: CRYPTO_num_locks

So, I removed the symlinks and copied libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0 from an older distro (opensuse Leap 42.3) and put
them into my new distro and I use the following command to start Eagle:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libs ./eagle

Now everything works fine.

Offline montemcguireTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
A post to answer my own question, in case anyone finds this topic in a search.

I have installed a test Catalina system (10.15.7) and upon re-licensing my version of Eagle 7.7.0 ultimate, I find that it works just fine. I have read somewhere else that a user found Eagle to crash if he zoomed too quickly, but I noticed no such problem.

I opened some libraries and some of my layouts, and everything seemed to work just fine. I am not going to keep Catalina, since all 32 bit stuff goes away, but Eagle 7.7.0 is a 64 bit app, and it seems to work just fine under Catalina.

I will be keeping Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6), and Eagle 7.7.0 works just fine there too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf