Author Topic: Need help with creating a new part  (Read 3082 times)

Offline fubar.grTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
Need help with creating a new part
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:43:59 am »
Is it me or is Eagle library editor broken and totally unintuitive?

I downloaded this library: https://github.com/cyberlink1/Arduino-Eagle-Cad-Library/tree/master

There's a package, device and symbol named PRO-MINI-2. I want to copy all three within the same library under a new name, so I can make a few edits of my own.

I managed to copy the symbol under the name PRO-MINI-3, by right clicking and selecting Copy to Library. A window popped up asking for a new name. But copying the package with the same method is impossible.

I tried opening the package in the editor and Save As... but this option saves the whole library, not the package alone.

I tried selecting the pads and copying it to a blank package, but it is not possible to copy-paste between packages like that.

So what the heck am I doing wrong?

Offline fubar.grTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Fubar.gr
Re: Need help with creating a new part
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 10:51:21 am »
And I am answering my own question, because I just managed to do it.

Instead of expanding the library, I double-clicked the library name and this window pops up

From there, it is possible to duplicate devices packages and symbols by right-clicking and selecting Duplicate

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:01:54 am »
Sometimes I just open up the library XML file in a decent text editor and copy the appropriate block of XML. I find it useful if copying something from one library to another. Maybe just how my brain works.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:14:10 am »
I usually do like this:

copy PRO-MINI-2.dev@Arduino-clone.lbr my_new_PRO-MINI-2.dev

copy PRO-MINI-2.pac@Arduino-clone.lbr my_new_PRO-MINI-2.pac

For more info, type "help copy".

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 07:08:13 am »
If you are in the library and right click on the device name (I am on a Mac, then it is ctrl click)
you will have a menu with  "duplicate"

You duplicate your package, give it a new name, and its done.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:18 am »
I really need to get used to using the Eagle "command line" stuff. I just forget it's even there most of the time.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 07:39:41 pm »
I really need to get used to using the Eagle "command line" stuff. I just forget it's even there most of the time.

If I have to layout 500+ components on a board solely with the mouse, I would look for another job.
Consider you are zoomed into a part of the board where you want to layout some components.
Instead of zooming out or panning and looking for and selecting/grabbing the component,
you simply type "move r123". That component will be immediately attached to your mouse cursur and you can place it
where you want. Then you press the "arrow-up" key and change the command into "move r124" and repeat the process.
While the component is attached to the mouse cursor, you can rotate it by clicking the right mouse button.
Middle-click to place the component on the opposite side of the board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf