Author Topic: All symbols and footprints are smashed (v9.x) - how to un-smash?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Hemi345Topic starter

• Contributor
All symbols and footprints are smashed (v9.x) - how to un-smash?
« on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:58 pm »
I have an annoying issue with Eagle now that I can't figure out.  At some point, all the symbols and footprint 'stuff' like name, value, etc are all separate... they have their own origin/handle to grab and move around. Screenshot below (yellow arrows are pointing to the origins/handles). I sorta remember a setting in the older versions of Eagle that when you right-click you could break apart a symbol or footprint to allow this, but I just don't see that option anymore and can't remember what it was called.  Having origins on all this makes it frustrating to move things around because I keep grabbing the origin of the other stuff instead of the main component.  Not only that, but I have the same issue in board view too! Anyone know how to join all this back together?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:47:31 pm by Hemi345 »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
Re: Symbol and footprint 'stuff' are separate (v9.x) - how to join?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:17:11 pm »
Right-click on the component and select properties. Then uncheck "Smashed".

Type "help smash" for more info.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:19:11 pm »
I am sure someone with 9.x experience will chime in soon; I am still on verson 7.x.

In 7.x, the "Smash" command (or icon) is used to separate the name and value text from the main object. There is no "unsmash", but you can open the part's properties dialog box (via the "Info" command), and then uncheck the "smashed" checkbox.

Edit: Ah, Karel beat me to it...  ;)

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:25:48 pm »
I don't see a Smashed option in the properties.  Also, the docs say holding shift while the Smashed tool is active will do this too but that doesn't work either.

This seems to have happened on a global level because all components are now like this. 

It seems they're calling this "REPOSITION" now, but the issue remains.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:28:36 pm by Hemi345 »

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
Re: All symbols and footprints are smashed (v9.x) - how to un-smash?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 09:05:53 pm »
Hello,

In early v9.x the SMASH command was removed and everything became auto-smashed. This did cause a lot of irritation and complaining over on the official Autodesk EAGLE forum. In 9.3, to correct the issues caused by this, there is now a new way to hide all the handles for the attributes. When the group or info commands are activated there is now a new "Enable Attributes" button on the toolbar at the top. Clicking this enables you to toggle the visibility of the grab handles on the attributes. There is still some improvement needed, it needs to be available in more tools (or everywhere) and it needs to be independent between schematic and board, hopefully they'll do this in an upcoming release.

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:41:04 pm »
Rachael, just before you posted, I found this thread on AutoDesk's forums:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/2-9-reposition-attributes-issue/m-p/8317100

Thank you for the information about the "enable attributes" icon (it's shaped like a gift tag).  Like you said, this all needs a little more work. Another bug I discovered is changes made in a library weren't visible in the board view.  E.g., I added a silkscreen to a foot print and updated the library in my design and it wouldn't show up.  You could see the silkscreen was there in the generated gerbers or using the "MANUFACTURING" tab that shows you what the board should look like.  But they wouldn't show up until I just tried the reposition tool. That needs to be fixed.

IMHO, reposition needs to be disabled by default.  This was maddening trying to layout a board while still being able to see the silkscreen names or values included in the footprints.  I was having to toggle on/off the silk layers and it was so time consuming.

Offline Sylvi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 06:35:32 pm »
Hemi345 said:
" I keep grabbing the origin of the other stuff instead of the main component."

Try zooming in more so you can accurately place the cursor.

otherwise, in the board editor, when you want to move a smashed part, move the part away a bit, reposition the name and value to suite the new location, then lift the whole part into the intended location.

You get fast at this by doing it. Same with zoomingin in/out. You can zoom way in, set your cursor where the part should go and then use the 'move' command and type the part name in and voila the part is on your cursor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf