Author Topic: The Autodesk Eagle edition  (Read 194142 times)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: The Autodesk Eagle edition
« Reply #550 on: March 22, 2018, 08:33:36 pm »
... and that happens if you have to meet a deadline and need to change something like a transistor type because the original one isn't available for the next 6 months.

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #551 on: March 22, 2018, 09:09:19 pm »
But... but... allowing third parties to insert artificial points of failure into your business processes is what all the cool kids are doing these days!

The following users thanked this post: macegr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: March 22, 2018, 09:53:58 pm »
I'm not going to say... Oh hell yes I am - I told you so, repeatedly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #553 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:50 pm »
But... but... allowing third parties to insert artificial points of failure into your business processes is what all the cool kids are doing these days!

Telling people this would 100% happen at unknown times has been |O  |O  |O

Because it's just freaking obvious this can happen and will happen. If it's not obvious, then sadly that person is just not mentally equipped to understand. If they do understand but don't care, then they're just using the software as a toy rather than a tool.

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #554 on: March 22, 2018, 11:37:52 pm »
I decided to actually see if I was being overly paranoid about this whole Eagle thing, so I've spoken to all my clients about it.  They've assured me it's perfectly fine for me to deliver on our contracts late, or even never, as long as it was due to a third party.

Wow, what a relief!  I've been so wrong for such a long time!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #555 on: March 22, 2018, 11:53:16 pm »
When does Eagle stop working entirely? Never.

All files are local and you can work for a very long time with no internet. When my internet is dead for a few hours I am busted in so many ways, Eagle is the last of my concerns.

All that coming from a person very critical of Eagle.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #556 on: March 23, 2018, 06:23:41 am »
Eagle also very rarely unexpectedly stops working. When working with Altium I have seen the error handling mechanism in action a few dozen times.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2018, 03:08:47 pm »
I have a solid list of gripes with Eagle, but fortunately stability is not one of them. On the rare occasions that Eagle has crashed, the data is generally intact.

There have been a few occasions over a number of years where the relationship between the schematic and layout files has been damaged. I tend to save bread crumb versions with different names in addition to the automatic backups - so recovery is not terrible. Overall, good reliability.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Online bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #558 on: April 23, 2018, 08:35:29 am »
on a mission to tell everyone I know that life is too precious to use Eagle.
:-DD
That should go to the EEVblog Book of Quotes

Offline bgm

• Supporter
« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2018, 11:32:06 pm »
All files are local and you can work for a very long time with no internet. When my internet is dead for a few hours I am busted in so many ways, Eagle is the last of my concerns.

I always find this hilarious.  People can't work without the internet....  I spend 2-3 months away at a time often without a phone let alone internet.  One very quickly works out what is "needed" vs what is "nice to have" ...  The real amusing part is to watch student geologists come out - that is as entertaining as hell.  :)
/BGM
"Forward to the past!"

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2018, 02:12:09 am »

I always find this hilarious.  People can't work without the internet....  I spend 2-3 months away at a time often without a phone let alone internet.  One very quickly works out what is "needed" vs what is "nice to have" ...  The real amusing part is to watch student geologists come out - that is as entertaining as hell.  :)

I can enjoy life without internet, phone, TV, etc.... not a problem.

Engineering with a distributed team spread all over the world....not so much. I need data to feed the engineering process constantly. From datasheets to pricing. Things don't completely stop, but relative to the speed expected in our modern world it may as well be stopped.
Eagle is an engineering tool and engineering in our modern world (professionally) is not practical without an internet connection.

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #561 on: May 10, 2018, 08:53:11 pm »
https://www.autodesk.com/products/artcam/overview

As of February 7, 2018, Autodesk will officially discontinue ArtCAM as an individual product. As of that date, there will not be any further releases or development for ArtCAM and product updates will no longer be delivered.

Customers who have an active ArtCAM subscription can continue to renew until July 7, 2018.

Perpetual licenses

Customers who have a perpetual license of ArtCAM on maintenance can continue to renew their maintenance plan or choose to use their license without maintenance.

ArtCAM was a large, capable, and well-known tool in the CNC operator world. It was announced EOL this year, with only 5 months to locate, purchase, train up, and convert existing parts to a different program before the subscription-based licenses would start self-destructing.

Meanwhile, the announcement above admits that permanent license holders will be able to keep using the abandoned software as long as necessary while making a switch to another program.

Not sure why I bother pointing out that SaaS is harmful to customers, the companies doing this are openly pointing out why permanent licensing is better in their own product-kill press releases!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: MarkL, XFDDesign, ReneK

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #562 on: May 11, 2018, 01:14:24 am »

Not sure why I bother pointing out that SaaS is harmful to customers, the companies doing this are openly pointing out why permanent licensing is better in their own product-kill press releases!  :-DD

This week I've officially begun my migration away from Eagle over to KiCad, and have found it to be generally painless (biggest pain being the development of new libraries for my components). I've been, in general, very happy with Eagle but the Rent-ware aspect just keeps showing itself to be a needless risk.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: MarkL, ReneK, macegr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf