Author Topic: The Autodesk Eagle edition  (Read 194149 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: The Autodesk Eagle edition
« Reply #475 on: March 09, 2017, 09:33:25 pm »
I just don't see it happening, Altium, OrCad and a few others have the high end market pretty much locked up, trying to break into that is going to be like trying to break into the smartphone market. There just isn't room for another major player.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #476 on: March 09, 2017, 10:53:42 pm »
I just don't see it happening, Altium, OrCad and a few others have the high end market pretty much locked up, trying to break into that is going to be like trying to break into the smartphone market. There just isn't room for another major player.
Unless that player had something really special to offer, and not just a rehash of a very dated package.
From what I've seen of it, I imagine they are taking business from Solidworks and others with Fusion360, with a low entry cost. To do the same in the ( much smaller) PCB market they'd only have stood a chance by starting from scratch with the cash they spent on Eagle.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #477 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:33 pm »
My Altium rep called again today to remind me they are offering Designer for $6k including the 2-day class. I don't want to spend the $$ for a few more months though.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #478 on: March 10, 2017, 03:54:36 pm »
Unless that player had something really special to offer, and not just a rehash of a very dated package.
From what I've seen of it, I imagine they are taking business from Solidworks and others with Fusion360, with a low entry cost. To do the same in the ( much smaller) PCB market they'd only have stood a chance by starting from scratch with the cash they spent on Eagle.

Probably not even that. I am using Fusion360 for my private stuff and we have bought a subscription at work for doing the occasional CAD work we need, but Fusion360 has all the same issues as Eagle now - online only saving (but you can export/backup your document), constantly changing so you are a guinea pig/beta tester, no way to have a perpetual license nor a stable version.

That is unlikely to be a competition to Solidworks, more like capturing the entry level market that hasn't been served before by a similarly capable tool - all those "makers", 3D printer users, hobbyists and such that were either using FreeCAD or pirated/student versions of Solidworks or some other software. Fusion actually includes features explicitly targeting these users, like CAM export for 3D printers and manufacturing services. And for Autodesk it is a good platform for betatesting ideas for their flagship products, such as Inventor or AutoCAD.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #479 on: March 10, 2017, 06:26:14 pm »
Eagle [...] is still glorified mspaint.exe with a gerber generator.

Come on! All of us are critical enough of Eagle, and well aware of its limitations. But that absurd statement will cost you some credibility points.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #480 on: March 10, 2017, 06:51:42 pm »
Years ago, in 1997, there was a book "PCB Design Using AutoCAD" (ISBN: 9780080514833). Wasn't there also an extension for electrical schematics?
Found it .. still alive ... here we are: http://www.autodesk.de/products/autocad-electrical/overview

Maybe they develop now the "eagle extension" for Autocad and customers can upgrade.  :-//

Time will tell.
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:36:40 pm by hammy »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: March 10, 2017, 07:07:23 pm »
Microsoft was eager to join the smartphone revolution for a long time but look at how well that worked out. It's very difficult to break into a market that already is dominated by multiple mature players. Eagle had a niche in the hobbyist/prosumer/very small company arena but they have thrown that under the bus chasing bigger fish that have already been caught.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #482 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:39 pm »
Well. It has been about 17 years since I've read something from an industry professional who believes that money is in endless supply and therefore almost any cost is actually no cost.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2017, 02:28:24 pm »
Wow.  That blog post is an impressive exercise in "trying too hard."

Yeah, I think he was trying to convince himself more than the readers.

Sam talks about the "Southwest Airlines business model", which encompasses a number of things (single airplane type, no hubs, no fees) but can be simplified as "low cost". But Autodesk seem to be taking the opposite approach of Southwest, rather than a simple one-off fee, they seem to be going the "add on fees" route which overall increase total cost to the customer.

Southwest are resisting pressure from shareholders and analysts to start adding fees. Southwest management insist that putting customers before shareholders is their strategy. Autodesk can say what they like, but their actions speak louder.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

The following users thanked this post: KE5FX

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2017, 05:57:26 pm »

Yeah, I think he was trying to convince himself more than the readers.

Sam talks about the "Southwest Airlines business model", which encompasses a number of things (single airplane type, no hubs, no fees) but can be simplified as "low cost". But Autodesk seem to be taking the opposite approach of Southwest, rather than a simple one-off fee, they seem to be going the "add on fees" route which overall increase total cost to the customer.

Southwest are resisting pressure from shareholders and analysts to start adding fees. Southwest management insist that putting customers before shareholders is their strategy. Autodesk can say what they like, but their actions speak louder.

I don't fly often but when I do fly, Southwest is one of two choices I use almost exclusively. I can't speak for everyone, but if they start adding fees I will stop flying Southwest. I don't need the absolute lowest price, but I hate being nickel & dimed and playing games with fees and hidden costs.

The following users thanked this post: XFDDesign

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2017, 06:57:55 pm »
Airline travel was already an ephemeral service, too. You aren't buying a product that generates IP that you need to be able to access and use for an unspecified amount of time later.

If Southwest followed the Autodesk model, they'd go out of business immediately. Throwing people out of the plane mid-flight if they're late paying their monthly air travel fee isn't popular with customers.

Online H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2017, 06:31:12 am »
If Southwest followed the Autodesk model, they'd go out of business immediately. Throwing people out of the plane mid-flight if they're late paying their monthly air travel fee isn't popular with customers.
Or giving the travelers their checked in baggage back with a padlock on it. Saying, here's a list of YOUR items in YOUR bag and you're free to view this list as much as you want but if you want to open the bag and access your items you have to pay - and if you don't keep on paying we're coming back with that lock.

Yeah, Autodesk EAGLE doesn't hold your files hostage per-se, they're just making sure you can't work in them without continuously handing them money.

The following users thanked this post: gildasd, Karel, GlowingGhoul, macegr

Offline Cervisia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #487 on: March 14, 2017, 02:59:38 pm »
Autodesk EAGLE doesn't hold your files hostage per-se, they're just making sure you can't work in them without continuously handing them money.
… or without an internet connection, or a license server query mechanism that Autodesk has proven to be completely reliable: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/eagle-8-0-2-blank-screen-on-load/td-p/6906897  :palm:

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #488 on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:57 pm »
I've read the article... and I finally get to use this quote:

That guys' so full of shit it's a wonder his eyes don't turn brown. 💩
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:18 pm »
Autodesk EAGLE doesn't hold your files hostage per-se, they're just making sure you can't work in them without continuously handing them money.
… or without an internet connection, or a license server query mechanism that Autodesk has proven to be completely reliable: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/eagle-forum/eagle-8-0-2-blank-screen-on-load/td-p/6906897  :palm:

Note that, at the time of writing, Autodesk still haven't fixed this and the customers (multiple) concerned haven't been able to get a login to Eagle for over two weeks.

In my professional life, if that customer was me and it was holding up production work for over two weeks Autodesk wouldn't be talking to me, they wouldn't be talking to the Chief Executive, they'd be talking to the company's lawyers.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: March 14, 2017, 07:13:30 pm »
I expect Jorge Garcia here any moment to do some damage control...

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #491 on: March 14, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »
Hopefully Autodesk's management starts to understand why the subscription model forces a lot of customers to look for another EDA package. They've screwed up Eagle completely and lost all their credibility. A :palm:^2 for that!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #492 on: March 14, 2017, 07:52:47 pm »
Their credibility was vaporized in one fell swoop when they lied about their intentions and said subscription model was not being considered, that was only a few months before they rolled out the subscription only thing. You can't tell me they didn't know full well that's what the plan was back before they said it wasn't.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #493 on: March 14, 2017, 08:06:09 pm »
Someone should check if anyone at Autodesk recently bought a lot of Altium stock, because this debacle has been a fantastic guerilla marketing scheme for CircuitStudio.

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #494 on: March 14, 2017, 08:12:07 pm »

Note that, at the time of writing, Autodesk still haven't fixed this and the customers (multiple) concerned haven't been able to get a login to Eagle for over two weeks.

In my professional life, if that customer was me and it was holding up production work for over two weeks Autodesk wouldn't be talking to me, they wouldn't be talking to the Chief Executive, they'd be talking to the company's lawyers.
My reading of the EULA is pretty clear that Autodesk is not liable for anything more than the purchase price of the license (secs. 5 and 7, US version):

http://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/software-license-agreements

Plus sec. 6 which hints at "you knew what you were getting into".

Autodesk has a market cap of $18B and an annual revenue of $2B.  Good luck having your company lawyer argue against Autodesk's army of lawyers.  And if your company already has an army of lawyers, you're likely already using a big-time package and not Eagle.  It's a no-win scenario for small companies.

Cadsoft Eagle is dead.  Long live Eagle 7.7.

The following users thanked this post: XFDDesign

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #495 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:23 pm »
Yawn...

I still dislike Autodesk's move to the subscription model as much as I disliked it when it was announced. And yes, I also fully intend to stick with my permanent 7.x license, and have a close look at the alternatives.

But it seems that we have been going round in circles for weeks in this thread, without adding anything new to the discussion. Is this just to make sure that the thread stays at the top of the Eagle forum, so sporadic visitors don't overlook it and become aware of Autodesk's appaling move? Maybe one of the moderators could make this thread sticky and pin it to the top of the list, to save us the bother of permanent repetitions?  ;)

Or maybe this is our self-help and support group, and we still need to talk to cope with the pain...  :P

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #496 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:59 pm »
Someone should check if anyone at Autodesk recently bought a lot of Altium stock, because this debacle has been a fantastic guerilla marketing scheme for CircuitStudio.

Very interesting thought.

• Does Altium provide stock options to employees? (Yes, they have an employee stock purchase plan, stock options, and equity incentives)
  • Did Sam Sattel (ex-Altium employee, 16 year career) purchase significant holdings via Altium's employee stock purchase plan?
  • Was Sam required to divest himself of all Altium holdings before he started working for Autodesk 6 months ago?
  • Does Sam remain in close contact with anyone else who could purchase or has purchased large amounts of Altium stock?

I have no idea, just asking questions here  ^-^

Nobody likes signing same-industry non-compete clauses in employment contracts, but holy heck this is precisely why companies have them. Although in this case Altium would be poorly served to enforce it  8)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:08:02 pm by macegr »

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #497 on: March 14, 2017, 09:24:09 pm »
2.1.3 Territory. Except as otherwise authorized in writing by Autodesk, the licenses granted in this Agreement are granted only for the Territory. Nothing in this Agreement permits Licensee (including, without limitation, Licensee’s Personnel, if any) to Install or Access the Licensed Materials outside of the Territory.

37 “Territory” (a) means the country, countries or jurisdiction(s) specified in the License Identification, or (b) if there is no such License Identification, or no country or jurisdiction is specified in the License Identification, means the country in which Licensee acquires a license to the Autodesk Materials. If the License Identification specifies, or Licensee acquires the Autodesk Materials in, a member country of the European Union or the European Free Trade Association, Territory means all the countries of the European Union and the European Free Trade Association.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/FY17/Suites/LSA/en-US/lsa.html

What have they been smoking? I can't install it on a laptop and use it abroad?

Offline macegr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #498 on: March 14, 2017, 09:32:01 pm »
They'll say something like "Oh, that's just our rascally little lawyers putting things in contracts nobody really reads, don't worry about it."

I notice that Eagle reps repeatedly state that "Autodesk Eagle" (specifically not calling it Eagle 8 ) is not an "upgrade" from Eagle 7, therefore the part of the Autodesk contract that says your old license is revoked and you must destroy your old versions of Eagle upon upgrading to the new version...doesn't apply. So don't worry about that part of the contract, it's a new product not an upgrade.

Yet my Eagle 7 just told me a couple days ago that I'm now using an outdated version of Eagle, an upgrade to Version 8 is available.

Can't trust anything they say about such matters. Jorge and Ed will be awesome as always about tech support but everyone else is being misleading about all other aspect of this.

Matt cannot seriously believe that we'd accept the explanation that Autodesk made a 30 million dollar purchase without knowing EXACTLY what the roadmap was for at least the year following the purchase. It's out of the question that they didn't know they were going to make it subscription-based from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:33:59 pm by macegr »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »

My reading of the EULA is pretty clear that Autodesk is not liable for anything more than the purchase price of the license (secs. 5 and 7, US version):

http://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/software-license-agreements

Plus sec. 6 which hints at "you knew what you were getting into".

Autodesk has a market cap of $18B and an annual revenue of $2B.  Good luck having your company lawyer argue against Autodesk's army of lawyers.  And if your company already has an army of lawyers, you're likely already using a big-time package and not Eagle.  It's a no-win scenario for small companies.

Cadsoft Eagle is dead.  Long live Eagle 7.7.

Lawyers put a lot of rubbish in end user contracts knowing that it won't survive an actual battle in court, that's one of the reasons for severability clauses. Someone like you comes along, looks at it, and gives in; a lawyer looks at it and says "that won't last five minutes in front of a judge" and ploughs on.

You don't deploy lawyers because you plan to win a court case; deploying lawyers is the commercially acceptable form of twisting a man's arm behind his back and asking him if he likes hospital food. You deploy the lawyers to get something done. It's a shot across the bows - "Get this fixed or you're in trouble". 

In my business life I've resorted to calling the lawyers in three times, we never went to court and I got what I wanted every time; in every case the other company was bigger than mine. This is why you keep one of the big 'name' firms on a retainer, even when you're a relatively small company, a single phone call or letter from the lawyer will often get the job done and not even dent your retainer. You may even be sabre rattling, but if the other guy gives in...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf