Author Topic: This IS the Patch for Protel99se SP6 for Win7/8/10.  (Read 22719 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
This IS the Patch for Protel99se SP6 for Win7/8/10.
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:02:31 am »
Hello Protel99se fans,

For those of you who have problems loading PCB Library files in Protel99se within Win7/8/10, I found a patch which fixes the problem.

Here on this forum,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/51279-loading-library-file-protel-99-a-3.html
Follow 'GuntherVB's' fix exactly.
(Copy of GuntherVB's post)
Ok, I just spent a long day debugging Protel 99 SE (Service Pack 6) in OllyDbg to solve the problem of not being able to load the library files in Windows 7 ("File not recognized").

The library dialog tries to concatenate the filename and path of the selected library file to obtain a full path to the library file that you want to add. But, a call to the windows function SHGetPathFromIDListA corrupts the memory where the filename is stored (it puts a zero where the string starts, which, in the null-terminated string world, means that the string is now suddenly empty). The dialog gets confused and doesn't succeed in opening the file.

The call to SHGetPathFromIDListA does not do anything noteworthy, so I replaced all instructions related to that call with NOP instructions. This solved the problem.

So: get yourself a hex editor (I use "HxD", it's free) and edit the "Client99SE.exe" file. Change all bytes from offset 2690E to 26917 (= a total of 10 bytes that need to be changed) to 90.

A NOP instruction is 90 in hexadecimal, hence the change.

Save the changes, run Protel 99 SE, try loading a library, should work. I will do some more testing and - if necessary - tinkering if there are still more problems.

Enjoy!
I kept a copy of the original Client99SE.exe before starting obviously.
Make sure you have SP6 installed since there are different revisions of Client99SE...
I used 'free Free Hex Editor Neo' and everything worked like a charm.

(Read my post #2 below, there is a second patch for the schematic editor adding library files)

Enjoy...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:01:31 am by BrianHG »

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, ebclr, DTJ

• Super Contributor
Re: This IS the Patch for Protel99se SP6 for Win7/8/10.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:54:57 pm »
Note that you also need to follow the second patch shown in post #22 (see above DIYaudio link) to allow library loading in schematics as well:
Quote by BonnyBrown:
Thanks, that worked well, but only fixes the library dialog for the PCB editor.

So I followed your same approach and found where to patch for the schematic library dialog as well (I don't understand why the code is duplicated, as the dialogs are pretty much identical, but anyway...)

Patch offset 0x25f78 to 0x25f81 inclusive with 0x90 (original bytes were: 50 8b 45 ec 50 e8 7e c1 fd ff ) in Client99SE.exe

With both these patches applied, you can add libraries to both the pcb and schematic under windows 7.

Is there a list of what else is broken in Protel 99SE under Windows 7?

Thanks again,
Tony.

With these 2 patches, Protel99se appears to be fully functional under Win7.

The following users thanked this post: DTJ

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 03:19:15 am »
Reviving a long dead issue....

Thanks BrianHG - Protel 99SE works fine on my W10 installation but I'm having issues getting it to work on my W7 workshop PC.

Your patch saved the day with my W10 install.

I've applied the two edits and it runs fine but does not recognise  the lib files on W7 (home prem)

Any clues?

Cheers.

EDIT - After more searching I found a post claiming that if it did not work after the hex editing then changing folder view options to un-hide known extensions would fix the issue. I tried it and it worked.
As far as I can tell its all working fine now with Brians edits done + the unhide known extension option changed as per the attached screen shot.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/51279-loading-library-file-protel-99-a-4.html?s=1ef3ab735fb0da9f8244840bbe9a59cf

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:09:51 am by DTJ »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:18:41 pm »
Reviving a long dead issue....

Thanks BrianHG - Protel 99SE works fine on my W10 installation but I'm having issues getting it to work on my W7 workshop PC.

Your patch saved the day with my W10 install.

I've applied the two edits and it runs fine but does not recognise  the lib files on W7 (home prem)

Any clues?

Cheers.

EDIT - After more searching I found a post claiming that if it did not work after the hex editing then changing folder view options to un-hide known extensions would fix the issue. I tried it and it worked.
As far as I can tell its all working fine now with Brians edits done + the unhide known extension option changed as per the attached screen shot.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/software-tools/51279-loading-library-file-protel-99-a-4.html?s=1ef3ab735fb0da9f8244840bbe9a59cf
When doing a fresh install in Win7, you run the installer with 'Administrator' privileges. (Right click on the installer and choose 'Run As Administrator')
When running the service pack 6, you also need to run it with  'Administrator' privileges as well.
Then when running Client99se.exe, you also need to run it with 'Administrator' privileges as well.
Miss one Administrator here, and Protel's installer or Client99se.exe wont have access to the system folder 'C:\Windows\' where Protel places a bunch of old style 'client99****.ini' files it must use to function.

Note that to simplify things after an install, you may right click on 'Client99se.exe', select compatibility and check the privilege level to select 'Run this program as an Administrator'.  This will allow Protel99se to work fine in any Win7 variant.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:40:05 pm by BrianHG »

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:05:00 am »
Thanks for the follow up Brian. I'm pretty sure I did not do the "install as admin".

I'll add it to my notes for next time I need to reinstall.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:14:36 am by DTJ »

Offline alexwhittemore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 06:46:15 pm »
Real late to this party, but while we're all having problems installing Protel on modern systems:

Anyone have experience installing Protel 99SE fresh on Win 10? Every time I try, it messes up the environment variables and windows loses its mind. A reproducible error is right-click my computer, properties, click "Advanced system settings":

It errors with: "Windows cannot find '%SystemRoot%\system32\systempropertiesadvanced.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Odd thing is, %SystemRoot% IS properly defined as C:\Windows.

Haven't even gotten to the point of trying the fixes above, though I've tried opening a .PCB and it didn't go so hot, so that's next.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 02:48:32 am »
Sorry, I have not had that happen (yet). I think sooner or later we'll have to update to a newer version. Sadly our extensive schematic and footprint library will not be transferable.

Offline d-digiacomo

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 03:59:13 am »
Protel 99 SE works well in VirtualBox running Windows 2000.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:02:05 am by d-digiacomo »
Danny Di Giacomo

The following users thanked this post: zapzapouch

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf