Author Topic: Autodesk buys Eagle  (Read 93516 times)

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
Re: Autodesk buys Eagle
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2016, 11:21:24 pm »
To bad the educational license is only for the US (.edu email only) :-(

I am sure if you actually called and explained that an exception might be made. 

I would suggest that no version of the software be free be is US .edu or otherwise, but that at least a token amount was paid toward the upkeep of the software.  $169 USD is not free, but also not an insurmountable impediment to someone who is seriously pursuing electronics design. 

"Free" is one of the major reasons Eagle got to be situation that it was in.  It's something that needs to be changed if Eagle is going to be a revenue source versus a sink for its new owner.

Hi

Even as an "non-commercial" user of Eagle, I'm afraid I must agree. With zero income from a group of users with perpetual use rights is unlikely to be attractive to any sort of organization. Somewhere in the $5 to $10 a month range lies a threshold that really should not matter to anybody *using* a piece of software. It's not a one way street though. If I'm paying, I expect improvements / fixes / support in exchange for my money.

Bob

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2016, 12:52:26 am »

Even as an "non-commercial" user of Eagle, I'm afraid I must agree. With zero income from a group of users with perpetual use rights is unlikely to be attractive to any sort of organization. Somewhere in the $5 to $10 a month range lies a threshold that really should not matter to anybody *using* a piece of software. It's not a one way street though. If I'm paying, I expect improvements / fixes / support in exchange for my money.

Bob

Exactly it right there.  That mutually beneficial exchange is the key to keeping the software alive in the community and inside the vendor.  :-+

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2016, 05:35:27 am »

^This^. Emailed sales@ the other week explaining it choked on my non-US email & included the details required, got a shiny new Eagle Educational licence sent to my .edu.au address a day or so later.

(I did notice it seems to be 1yr only, whereas I think previously it was longer/not limited? Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...)

Personally I'd be up for paying a small amount per year for an educational licence - say, $50-$100, just as a token barrier to entry & to encourage people to level up after they graduate - but I'd baulk at a monthly subscription.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:42:13 am by Tac Eht Xilef »

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2016, 08:43:26 am »
(I did notice it seems to be 1yr only, whereas I think previously it was longer/not limited? Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...)
Of course it is time limited, as they want those who still use the tools when they graduate, to pay them money. 8)

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2016, 09:12:01 am »

^This^. Emailed sales@ the other week explaining it choked on my non-US email & included the details required, got a shiny new Eagle Educational licence sent to my .edu.au address a day or so later.

I'll send them a email when I'm back at home from holiday.

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13:43 am »
Of course it is time limited, as they want those who still use the tools when they graduate, to pay them money. 8)

Oh yeah, and I'm not complaining at all. Just noting (after going back & checking the last .edu licence I bought) that it used to be unlimited.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf