Author Topic: Beyond Breadboarding  (Read 7588 times)

Offline LawsenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Beyond Breadboarding
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:15:48 am »
Once I got the TTL 7400 series circuits digital chime and display working on a breadboard, then a printed circuit board with through the hole single sided soldering?  How does one go from a breadboard to a printed circuit board or just leave it as a breadboard? 

Lawsen

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Beyond Breadboarding
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:49 am »
do pcb if you want permanent circuit. breadboard is not "tidy".
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:05 am »
Vero (strip) board is most certainly an option.

Dave.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:08:35 am »
yeah veroboard is quite good.

I only use breadboard to design and test small sections of my main circuit. Once i'm confident all sections are working the whole project gets built on veroboard, or sometimes i just make a prototype pcb using the laser printer method.

The problem with breadboard is that it can get quite messy with large circuits, and you sometimes get bad connections that can be annoying to track down. Also in tracking down bad connections you sometimes disturb other sections which then stop working.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:21:48 am »
Yeah,I've never liked breadboarding--it's so easy to lose a connection,especially if the wires you are using are not  ideal for the job, when they can pop out or snap off.
I usually build from scratch on stripboard.
There are a number of other techniques which can be used,such as using very high value resistors soldered to a ground plane,or pieces of PCB glued to boards,as tie points.

VK6ZGO

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:57:30 pm »
You can buy a solderable breadboard like this one: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SB-800/800-POINT-SOLDERABLE-BREADBOARD/1.html

This allows you to move the circuit from the breadboard to the perf board and solder.  Then you have a project that should be good to go.  Great way to go for quick 1-of projects.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »
There are a number of other techniques which can be used,such as using very high value resistors soldered to a ground plane,or pieces of PCB glued to boards,as tie points.

VK6ZGO

Sounds like how a HAM would do it.  :)

The on change I have seen and need to adopt is using a drill bit with a pointed tip and cutter edges.  This can be turned by hand and makes a copper island for tie points.  Quicker than doing true Manhattan style.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:25:21 am »
Why not a custom-made PCB board?  For just over the cost of the RadioShack perf board, you can order boards of up to 10cm x 10 cm for $33 for 10, delivered.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 04:00:11 am »
Why not a custom-made PCB board?  For just over the cost of the RadioShack perf board, you can order boards of up to 10cm x 10 cm for $33 for 10, delivered.

If you will only be making 1 and already have it breadboarded, then soldering it as is will take a few minutes.  Making a PCB pattern, sending off, waiting, then soldering takes much longer.  You have the advantage of easily making more, once you have the PCB files, but that is only useful if you want more than one.  That isn't always the case.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 04:00:07 pm »
Strip board is good but it's high frequency performance is poorer than a proper PCB.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »
well I've not done large complex stuff yet so i usually breadboard it or sections of and then when i'm happy make a prototype on a PCB, as physical layout and size also affects things this is important. For example I have one project with strict space constraints so I only breadboarded the principles, then stripboarded a small section and then PCBed the whole thing

Offline Kozmyk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 05:21:41 am »
Hah Hah I've just bought my first breadboard after 40 odd years of electronics. :)
I always used to use veroboard or tag strips for experiments.
I've got some delving to to that'll involve juggling values in feedback loops so I thought I'd give it a go.
Strange, the things you see but never use.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf