Author Topic: Corporate banning all politically-driven western made software & hardware.  (Read 1722 times)

Offline MecanixTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
The 3k employees corporation I work for is undergoing major risk management and restructuring, of which, among other things, involves the complete decoupling from western made software & hardware. As an example; we are being told that Windows OS will be banned on all workstations starting Jan 1st 2025. So will be Siemens NX and Altium Designer, of which the E&M.Eng teams are tooled with currently, to name just a few out of quite a few more. Product lines' western made CPUs, MCUs, FPGAs, passives, etc etc all that eventually gets decimated and replaced with eastern made equivalents.

Why I'm saying this is, management have yet officially told us what are the replacements/equivalents for those EDA and CAD tools due to ongoing negotiations and contractual agreements (confidentiality). All we know 'officially' for now anyway is we're moving toward a custom linux kernel (made in-house).

Does anyone know which foreign company(ies) offers professional linux based EDA software? Name a few so I can add this to our speculation list during lunch...

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
What logic to avoid "Western" influence allows Linux to be preferred?  It was birthed in Finland.  Is there any OS that is neither Western nor Eastern?  Sounds like a typical management smoke screen for the real motive.

Edit: Corrected typo in Linux
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:11:11 pm by jpanhalt »

Online temperance

• Frequent Contributor
I would change the content of your message because it is easy to guess in which of the few companies on Island you might be employed and you never know who might be reading what you wrote.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

• Frequent Contributor
I would change the content of your message...

No need. Public knowledge, as in shareholders were officially made aware last Fri 5th April. Memo circulated internally the day prior that. Nothing secret, however I'll still leave the corp id out of this. ps I'm obvi not from an Island, sure feels like cocoland though....

@jpanhalt - motive is crystal clear, maximizing profits long term and risk management (economically). Not exactly the first company we know of who've recently restructured similarly, or in the process of doing so, like ours. Quite a significant number of them given the recent weaponizing of trade & economics a/k/a western-new-normal. Not only private and public corporations in fact, but foreign institutions also.

I'd still like to know who offers politically neutral and professional grade linux based EDA & CAD solutions. Part I'm missing and which I'm interested in.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Have you heard of the feigned retreat tactic? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feigned_retreat).  I doubt in an East v. West situation the East will be any more less political.  It may seem less today, but is that simply a lure?

• Frequent Contributor
Have you heard of the feigned retreat tactic?

You'll have to pardon my severe lack of interest about military philosophies.

Foreign EDA/CAD? I need names, so I can set some hope on ditching those profit-eating Teamcenter & Bundles/maintenance licenses soon! (I'm a contractor).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:25:24 pm by Mecanix »

The following users thanked this post: bgm370

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
What logic to avoid "Western" influence allows Linus to be preferred?

that the company is a country that is on a restricted list or doesn't understand copyright so the "western" companies aren't allowed or doesn't want to deal with it ?

• Frequent Contributor
that the company is a country that is on a restricted list or doesn't understand copyright so the "western" companies aren't allowed or doesn't want to deal with it ?

It's actually a western public company. Ironically, decoupling from its own jurisdiction's big brother-like suppressive licensees & free market imposed restrictions.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Isn't Kicad the only good native option on linux?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Zuken (Cadstar) is japanese - do you consider that "western" (I wouldn't think so)? We used Cadstar in one of my previous companies, it's pretty good. Commercial package, obviously.
And if you're going for a Linux-based OS, you're going to have a problem anyway. I don't know if Cadstar runs under Wine, I would suspect not. And you wouldn't get any support for software that's expensive, so you won't do that.

So yes, you're pretty much left with KiCad.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Cadence Allegro runs on Linux. But other than that you'll need to use Kicad
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Frequent Contributor
Interesting. Fair to say the industry seriously lack over-the-counter soft options. Apart from Kicad perhaps, which certainly fill this gap quite nicely. Rumor has it (internally) that the dev team will be reusing defunct APIs from someone else and come up with proprietary ECAD-MCAD'ish team soft. No idea how close to reality this is.

And so your contribs confirm what was discussed over lunch today (thanks). Nobody really knew, neither could speculate who could potentially be filling these 'neutral' linux based solutions.

So fun... almost!

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
What makes it difficullt at the moment is that most EDA packages were developed for Windows (for obvious market reasons), so there's very little for Linux in terms of commercial solutions.
Cadence is an exception, as they have long offered tools for Linux - actually some of their tools were even Linux-only (like the microeletronics design tools).
But, if the company must not be western AND have Linux-compatible software, you're asking for a needle in a haystack.
Though, I would still have a look at Zuken products - maybe they have something now that can run on Linux, who knows. Didn't check recently.

But, as a side note, "neutral" Linux doesn't mean much unfortunately. There's no such thing. Even with KiCad - sure it will usually run properly on most distributions, but the KiCad team only supports a couple of them officially and if you use any other, you're on your own - they won't help you, and you can say goodbye to their pro support if you need it.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 07:40:48 am by SiliconWizard »

The following users thanked this post: Mecanix

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
is this the belt and road initiative in action?

sound slashdot worthy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 08:21:40 am by coppercone2 »

Offline sanleontexas

Why no Aussie reply? Do they not care what goes on in their far western territory?

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Is Australia East or West? That's a relative problem.

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
is this the belt and road initiative in action?

sound slashdot worthy

"China Intensifies Push to ‘Delete America’ From Its Technology"
"A directive known as Document 79 ramps up Beijing’s effort to replace U.S. tech with homegrown alternatives"

> ban all Western software
> ask West for what software to use  :palm:

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Ban western. technology,  while complaining about western restrictions on "eastern" tech.

Those making these decisions know exactly what they are doing, and it's a long game.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
If you consider the current state of EULAs, telemetry and other restrictions, it is not unreasonable to find ways to avoid such vendors. It is not so much that they are "western", it is more that they are increasingly unpalatable to do business with.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

Why no Aussie reply? Do they not care what goes on in their far western territory?
Mecanix made it fairly clear in reply#3 that the Cocos (Keeling) address is simply one of convenience, just as some others proudly proclaim themselves to be citizens of Antarctica.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Along with supposedly trying to wipe politics out of the workplace, does or will the company also forbid employees to use social media?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf