Author Topic: Distance of bottom layer SMD pad to thru-hole pads  (Read 2099 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Distance of bottom layer SMD pad to thru-hole pads
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:45:26 pm »
Hello,
Please can you confirm that for a offline power supply board (50w) with surface mount components on the bottom, and thru-hole on the top,
the SMD pads must be at least 3mm away from the thru-hole pads.
I just wiondered if Wave and reflow soldering techniques have changed so that they can be closer?

The following users thanked this post: fourtytwo42

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Distance of bottom layer SMD pad to thru-hole pads
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 06:28:34 pm »
Thanks, i am not talking about regulations...i am speaking about the manufacture of the board in the cheapest way.
For a board with smd bottm, and thru hole top, it is difficult to  wave solder the thru-hole pins if they are too near to the smd pads.....i was wondering how far do the smd pads have to be away from the protruding thru-hole pins in order to make the wave soldering easy and cheap.

I am assuming that the smd bottom components get mounted first....in the manufacture (pcb assembly) process

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:45:13 pm »
As you can make your own custom pads I see no reason why you can't make the design very compact (same net) however the possibility of doing rework should be given high priority in any layout and sadly these days it isn't.  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:28:04 pm »
Thanks, i am not talking about regulations...i am speaking about the manufacture of the board in the cheapest way.
For a board with smd bottm, and thru hole top, it is difficult to  wave solder the thru-hole pins if they are too near to the smd pads.....i was wondering how far do the smd pads have to be away from the protruding thru-hole pins in order to make the wave soldering easy and cheap.

I am assuming that the smd bottom components get mounted first....in the manufacture (pcb assembly) process

Surely the one to ask is those actually doing the PCB assembly ?!
Wave soldering clearances I would expect to vary, depending on the direction of solder wave travel.
Typically they would place the SMD parts with glue-dots, then wave-flow the fully stuffed board last.

Offline katy201607

• Contributor
    • www.pcbgogo.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 02:17:25 am »
 depending on the direction of solder wave travel is correct
Professional Electronic Engineer from PCBGOGO
www.pcbgogo.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo