Electronics > PCB/EDA/CAD

Eagle wasting my time!

(1/4) > >>

itdontgo:
Hi Guys,

Just posted this on Element14 which they're going to love!  I'm actually a bit pissed off because I've wasted my time on Eagle when I should have just used DesignSparkPCB.  There is no way I'm paying £1800 for that software when the competition can provide me with a free alternative.  I actually think Eagle is good and would buy it if there was not a (legal) free option.

Hi,

I have designed some boards using Eagle Freemium which I quite liked but the measly eurocard layout limit is virtually useless.  Thanks to 'The Amp Hour' and the EEVBlog I found out RS components do a comletely free PCB layout tool which can be used to make panels... for free!  So in future I would prefer to use their software rather than spend £1800 on Eagle just to do some 2-layer PTH panels.  A shame.

My question is does anybody know a way of importing Eagle files on to RS DesignSparkPCB?

Thanks,

Michael

Whilst on the subject of CAD tools I tried the latest version of AutoCAD lately which nearly cost me a desk!  The amout of time I slammed my fist into the desk I nearly put an hole in it.  It creates a great finished drawing but the useability is TERRIBLE!  As a comparison Eagle is very user friendly compared to this rubbish.  By way of an example, one of the most annoying things is when you go to the file menu to create a new drawing and it actions the first thing your mouse is under when the menu appears!  I've got a heart condition I cant have stress like that in my life the b*stards are going to kill me!  $4000 they want for that crap.  Who pays it?  No wonder it tops the list of most illegally downloaded software!

Michael

www.firmtec.co.uk  >  Hopefully starting a blog for my business soon!

Mechatrommer:

--- Quote from: itdontgo on November 02, 2011, 08:16:47 am ---Whilst on the subject of CAD tools I tried the latest version of AutoCAD lately which nearly cost me a desk!  The amout of time I slammed my fist into the desk I nearly put an hole in it.  It creates a great finished drawing but the useability is TERRIBLE!  As a comparison Eagle is very user friendly compared to this rubbish.
--- End quote ---
what, do you use AutoCAD for PCB "CADDing" ??

itdontgo:
Not for PCBs it was for the enclosure.  I mentioned it as it's CAD tool and it was on my mind.  Even though they're for different purposes they have similarities in the way they work or dont work!.  I have got a copy of ACAD2002 which I dont like much either but it's not as frustrating as the new version.  They've gone and made it look like Office 2007 as well which is really bad.  It means all the menu bars which I have used for years aren't there by default anymore.

Mechatrommer:
why dont u search for older version? AutoCAD R14 for eg. i agree with you about the Office2007 fallacy. i was forced to upgrade because all the organizations/dept around me using it and we usually exchange data, the older 97 cant read docx. for years i've been using it and i still cant get it right as it was Office97. i miss 97 and for all these years, i've been keep cursing 2007.

Joshua:

About AutoDesk softwares: I'm a student so i can get it (legally) for free. I have found that AutoDesk Inventor is much more suitable to my(our?) type of work. It seams that autoCad is more for designing buildings, dams, etc... while inventor is designed more for the smaller scale stuff. I think it is awesome. People rave about sketch up because it's free, so I understand. However inventor is just so much more powerful. There is a small learning curve, so don't be discouraged. In the help menus or online, there is some tutorials to walk you through the software. I would recommend going through the first couple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version