EDA > General PCB/EDA/CAD Discussions

Elektor PCBs – can JLC make them this style?

(1/2) > >>

Chris56000:
Hi!

Attached is a layout drawing of a modern Elektor PCB where the track is in black on the top side of a green background, from the colour–printed era of the Magazine.

Is it still possible to get a PCB made by JLC, PCB Way, etc., to this style with the black tracks on top, if so, how is it done?

I know JLC can handle TTF on silkscreen as they've made two PCBs for me with "Radio Constructor" Magazine silkscreen lettering!

Chris Williams

thm_w:
JLC will not do this.

But any sort of regular fab could likely do a similar looking piece if you ask for a one layer board with two color silkscreen. Black first then white overtop.
I'm also quite sure this photo is a photoshop creation/screenshot and not an actual board.

ataradov:
I'm not sire I understand the request. The visual effect shown on the picture is easy to get - it is a single layer PCB with tracks on the back side and silk screen on the other side. One of the sides has green solder mask. No copper pours, of course.

If you light that PCB from the back, it will appear exactly as shown on the picture.

If you want it to work without the light, then you have to duplicate traces and do a double color silk screen. None of the cheap prototype services will do that. But I'm sure they will do it for the full price.

TK:
ataradov is right.  It is a single sided PCB and the black traces you are seeing are the bottom side of the PCB (you can see the letters in reverse).  The top only has white silkscreen and green soldermask.

Chris56000:
Hi!

--- Quote ---If you want it to work without the light, then you have to duplicate traces and do a double color silk screen. None of the cheap prototype services will do that. But I'm sure they will do it for the full price.
--- End quote ---

Ah, that explains it!

I remember in my college days (40 years ago!) another student bought a ready made PCB from the Elektor Print Service that had a double layer silk screen, black was a top– side reproduction of the tracks and a white silkscreen component overlay on top – it also had red solder mask underneath on the copper side, I know JLC can't do that with red underneath and blue solder mask on top!

Mind you, in the 1970s and 1980s up to at least 2000, boards from Everyday Electronics didn't have any solder mask or silkscreen, you had to rely on having the original article with the assembly drawing to hand!

I know JLC will do me the TTF silkscreen, so I'll design my Elektor Style PCBs with the Elektor style components and the original "Microgramma" typeface for the component designators, then if at some future date we get a reasonably inexpensive service that offers two silkscreen layers and choice of solder mask colour on top & bottom I can make the genuine Elektor "full monty" from my student days!

Chris Williams

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version