Author Topic: Freecad new release 0.21  (Read 5313 times)

Offline PartialDischargeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Freecad new release 0.21
« on: August 09, 2023, 07:22:48 am »
Just noticed that Freecad 0.21 was released this August 2023. I was expecting a new version since previous ones seemed to have lots of bugs.
Still using an old version of Solidworks but would be happy to switch.
Anyone tried it?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Freecad new release 0.21
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 03:00:14 pm »
I've been using it for my small stuff. Not a significant difference from the previous versions, just minor improvements.

They have also started work on fixing topological naming problem, which makes manipulating operations stack basically not work at all. But this release only contains prep work for that, so the actual behavior is still the same.
Alex

Online HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 03:41:04 pm »
I hope they fix whatever bug caused me a lot of frustration a few weeks ago. I was simply trying to mirror an extruded shape across a plane and it just refused to do it, just giving me some inscrutable error message. I have no idea what the problem was, there was nothing complicated about the shape. I gave up in the end; my 3D PCB rendering will just have to go without one particular part.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 04:16:28 pm »
There are a lot of cases where it throws random errors in the log. I would not expect fixes for that soon. I think there is some activity to clean it all up, but it will take a lot of time.
Alex

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 05:26:12 pm »
I didn;t notice a behavioral changes.

FreeCAD as usual. For non critical things FreeCAD is just Excellent. I really enjoy it. But... It can really bring someone to the edges. I wouldn;t want to designing a complicated time critical part and at 80+% to discover that fillet operation inexplicably fail.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Anthem

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 07:52:38 am »
The joy of FreeCAD is that one can install multiple versions if it and so if you've got trouble with a newer version, one can always revert back to opening the dysfunctional part to see if one can resolve it with an older version. Sometimes the methodology of an older version has changed in the new but the results are the same.

I have got 4 versions of FreeCAD in my computer. Each works independently and does not conflict with the other.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 06:23:05 pm »
The joy of FreeCAD is that one can install multiple versions if it and so if you've got trouble with a newer version, one can always revert back to opening the dysfunctional part to see if one can resolve it with an older version. Sometimes the methodology of an older version has changed in the new but the results are the same.

I have got 4 versions of FreeCAD in my computer. Each works independently and does not conflict with the other.

We all have kinks. What you describe as a joy is my nightmare.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: abeyer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf