Author Topic: Going from Allegro to PADS as a user  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Going from Allegro to PADS as a user
« on: June 17, 2021, 02:40:05 pm »
Been using Allegro for years, know it reasonably well, done hundreds of layouts with it.

Now I have to use PADS.

If you have done the same leap, what were the stumbling blocks you encountered, as in, things you used to do quickly now seem more complex, or on the flip side, things PADS does better.

So far I've been studying up on the schematic side which is quite simple since it looks pretty much like Viewlogic which I used a long time ago. Nothing too mind-boggling.

But what about the PCB side? I'm just worried I'll never be as proficient with PADS as I was with Allegro.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Feynman

• Regular Contributor
Re: Going from Allegro to PADS as a user
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 06:33:40 pm »
Maybe you should mention whether you are using classical PADS or PADS Professional, since both programs are entirely different CAD-Tools.

Offline AndersJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 07:43:51 pm »
Maybe you should mention whether you are using classical PADS or PADS Professional, since both programs are entirely different CAD-Tools.

Which are the major differences between the two PADS tools?
"It should work"
R.N.Naidoo

Offline dzseki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 08:00:03 pm »
PADS Standard and Professional are worlds part. There are no common things in them, really, they are not even compatible.
HP 1720A scope with HP 1120A probe, EMG 12563 pulse generator, EMG 1257 function generator, EMG 1172B signal generator, MEV TR-1660C bench multimeter

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 09:45:46 pm »
I've used Altium, Allegro and Mentor Expedition (which is a lot like PADS professional)

I can say Allegro is one of the best routing tools I've used, so I think it will be a downgrade for you (PADS or PADS Pro)
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 11:21:09 am »
Oh yeah, should have mentioned that... PADS Professional. Guess I'm going through Allegro withdrawal as I try to find the same way of doing things as before.

I like using the keyboard a lot. I found the keyin commands reference in the PADS documentation and that's what I'm looking at now.

I'm also trying to figure out if PADS has temp groups like Allegro, I guess it does, and how come when I select some placed and routed components a lot of traces are selected with it. In Allegro I'd look for groups or maybe clines defined in the footprint but right now I don't see where PADS gets its groups from.

I don't do well with tutorials, I prefer loading a PCB and just playing with every menu, toolbar, window, and clicking everywhere and seeing what it does, along with searching reference guides for interesting keywords. And taking lots of notes.

I don't think PADS Professional is so much inferior or superior to Allegro, the PCBs I see here are just as complex as what I'm used to doing, so the tool isn't limiting anyone AFAICT.

Been using Allegro for more than a decade and I haven't had to learn a whole new tool in a while... The old brain is ... old.  :(
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Pseudobyte

• Frequent Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 01:34:05 pm »
I've used Altium, Allegro and Mentor Expedition (which is a lot like PADS professional)

I can say Allegro is one of the best routing tools I've used, so I think it will be a downgrade for you (PADS or PADS Pro)

I would tend to agree with that. Routing in Allegro was always a pleasant experience. Although Altium has come a long way it still has a long way to go. With the introduction of the quick routing command the routing does feel far more Allegro'esque.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf