Author Topic: Is there a PCB-CAD package on the market - with eternal licensing?  (Read 21015 times)

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
Re: Is there a PCB-CAD package on the market - with eternal licensing?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2021, 03:08:47 pm »

I and most of the forum tire of you trying to sell us your one man band software whilst acting all innocent and failing to declare you are the maker of it. If my patience wears thin enough I will do something about it!

I simply said what I use doesnt have a subscription. I didnt put a link to ebay or a paypal address to pay for it.
I havent lied, I have done around 300 pcb's with it and updates are free for good.
I much prefer a piece of software where they will fix bugs immediately than have to wait 6 months for a none paid Kicad programmer to do it.
You pay your money (or not) and take your choice.

Ironically I dont sell to Australia due to shipping costs (a return would be a disaster in costs) so little point pushing it on here........

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 03:18:41 pm by nigelwright7557 »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2021, 04:31:10 pm »

I and most of the forum tire of you trying to sell us your one man band software whilst acting all innocent and failing to declare you are the maker of it. If my patience wears thin enough I will do something about it!

I simply said what I use doesnt have a subscription. I didnt put a link to ebay or a paypal address to pay for it.

You sell it, therefore mentioning it in a context where not having a subscription amounts to an endorsement amounts to promoting it. Promoting something as if a neutral observer without clearly revealing that you personally will benefit if people buy it is dishonest, by all common standards of business ethics and long standing conventions of online discussion groups.

I havent lied, I have done around 300 pcb's with it and updates are free for good.
I much prefer a piece of software where they will fix bugs immediately than have to wait 6 months for a none paid Kicad programmer to do it.

More disingenuousness, as far as anyone here can tell you are the author and sole distributor of this software. If you're not please name the original author(s) that you buy it in from. You certainly can't deny that you sell it.

Ironically I dont sell to Australia due to shipping costs (a return would be a disaster in costs) so little point pushing it on here........

Are you really trying to tell us that you're not bright enough to associate the little flags next to everybody's names with the fact that the forum has posters and readers from across the whole globe? Which is it, you're making a deliberately dishonest argument about where you purportedly believe the readers are, or you're stupid?

Ironically your attempt at self-promotion has backfired spectacularly. I can't believe that anyone who has witnessed your rather weak attempt to promote your product along with your justifications for doing so would risk doing business with you. Even if your product is the dog's bollocks, advertising your cheerful willingness to engage in misleading business practices will take you off anyone's list of prospective suppliers.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, CJay, cgroen

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2021, 04:59:48 pm »

Lying by omission is a thing too.

If you actually came clean and put an ad/disclaimer in your signature you *might* even get customers to buy your software, as it stands you look to be trying to deceive.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2021, 05:06:43 pm »

Hm so you fix bugs immediately? you statement about KiCad is untrue, I had something fixed in week, if you want to poke holes go have a go at circuit studio. The fact that you won't admit to being the developer/owner is just irritating to the point you will be classed as any other spammer soon. It's faster to ban you than write this reply!

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2021, 05:26:34 pm »
Hm so you fix bugs immediately? you statement about KiCad is untrue, I had something fixed in week, if you want to poke holes go have a go at circuit studio. The fact that you won't admit to being the developer/owner is just irritating to the point you will be classed as any other spammer soon. It's faster to ban you than write this reply!

I am the developer but thought because I dont sell to Australia it was irrelevant.
It is a Aussie forum or did I get that wrong too ?

If someone from this forum has bought it I will happily refund you straight away and you can have it free of charge.

You really are blowing this out of all proportion. I sell maybe one copy a week at £4 for pcbcad51 and maybe 1 copy every 3  months of PCBCAD720 at £6.99

I make my money from USB scopes and audio gear and software/hardware consultancy.

I suspect this is just another chance for the "outrage" gang to have a rant.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:37:35 pm by nigelwright7557 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2021, 05:29:31 pm »
This forum is worldwide. I suspect that like the YouTube viewership they are mostly in America, Just learn your flags and look at the profiles.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2021, 05:36:24 pm »
This forum is worldwide. I suspect that like the YouTube viewership they are mostly in America, Just learn your flags and look at the profiles.

The bloke who owns it is an Aussie.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:51:09 pm by nigelwright7557 »

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2021, 05:39:44 pm »

Hm so you fix bugs immediately?

A week for Kicad ? 10 minutes is my quickest fix.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2021, 05:57:17 pm »
You sell it, therefore mentioning it in a context where not having a subscription amounts to an endorsement amounts to promoting it. Promoting something as if a neutral observer without clearly revealing that you personally will benefit if people buy it is dishonest, by all common standards of business ethics and long standing conventions of online discussion groups.

I can assure you I wasnt deliberately trying to be dishonest.
Whats the point when I could have just said I was the developer ? Then people could look it up download the demo and make up their own minds.
If its a steaming pile of poo then they wont buy it.
If they do want it they cant have it coz I dont post to Oz or USA.

Other ethnicities are a small group as its an English speaking forum.

The following users thanked this post: RFdesigner

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2021, 06:00:43 pm »

No, you're treating us as stupid by lying to our faces and thinking you'll get away with it. If you don't understand why that makes people annoyed with you I implore you, for your own personal safety, to keep out of flat-roof pubs where people's reprimands start with a fist, not a mild "tut tut" such as you have received on here.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2021, 06:01:40 pm »
che? we all speak English here, location and ethnicity has no baring on the membership, the only requirement is that people post in English.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:25 pm »

No, you're treating us as stupid by lying to our faces and thinking you'll get away with it. If you don't understand why that makes people annoyed with you I implore you, for your own personal safety, to keep out of flat-roof pubs where people's reprimands start with a fist, not a mild "tut tut" such as you have received on here.

In retrospect I should have remembered that forums are paranoid about "spamming"
I will try to be more careful in the future and apologise for any upset.

Some forums i have been on, especially paid for ones, will sometimes give you a sub-forum for your business or failing that an area for "Vendors".
A bit pointless for me on here as I dont post to Oz or USA.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2021, 06:10:49 pm »

Yeah right, despite pulling every trick in the book apart from telling the actually whole truth. If anybody reading that still you believes you at this point would they please get in touch with me as I have a colleague with a collection of very reasonably priced bridges to sell, he'll even throw in a sausage-ina-bun.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2021, 06:11:56 pm »
we have to try and be a bit consistent and you have had more leniency than your average rock up and just spam user but if everyone went around pushing their product it just makes it a shit show all round. Just stick a link in your signature.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, 2N3055

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2021, 06:12:43 pm »
I have a colleague with a collection of very reasonably priced bridges to sell, he'll even throw in a sausage-ina-bun.

Pray do tell :)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2021, 08:02:15 pm »

Yeah right, despite pulling every trick in the book apart from telling the actually whole truth. If anybody reading that still you believes you at this point would they please get in touch with me as I have a colleague with a collection of very reasonably priced bridges to sell, he'll even throw in a sausage-ina-bun.

Would that be good old Dibbler?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2021, 08:12:21 pm »
Shall we just leave it for now?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2021, 09:53:16 pm »
Would that be good old Dibbler?

Indeed, Throat himself.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2021, 07:39:13 am »
Give us a clue, is this supposed to be a reference anyone would get?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2021, 08:05:23 am »
It's Terry Pratchett reference...Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler is Discworld worst ever salesman....

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2021, 09:02:34 am »
It's Terry Pratchett reference...Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler is Discworld worst ever salesman....
Anyone who could sell a Dibbler sosij would surely qualify as one of, if not the best salespeople on the Disc

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2021, 04:51:36 pm »
Anyone who could sell a Dibbler sosij would surely qualify as one of, if not the best salespeople on the Disc

I'm surprised that Simon didn't know the reference. Pratchett is almost obligatory reading in the kind of geek circles typified by EE, Comp. Sci. and Physics students.

C.M.O.T. Dibbler is probably best described as the [Disc]world's worst entrepreneur, but a great salesman - with his pies and sausages he'd have to be to survive. Character bio on wikipedia.

In my writing days in the 90s Terry and I travelled in the same circles and had many mutual friends. Like most author's characters, many of Pratchett's characters are loosely based on real people or amalgams of several real people, or are a tip of the hat to a friend (e.g. Davey Winder, a then mutual friend, was immortalised as Lord Winder). Terry wasn't as subtle as some, and if you know the individuals it isn't hard to guess who turned up as which character or part of a character. Unlike many of the Discworld characters I have no clue who the real world inspiration for C.M.O.T. Dibbler was and I'd dearly love to know.

The following users thanked this post: CJay, 2N3055

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2021, 06:41:23 pm »
I am afraid I lived a sheltered childhood and then got too busy with life to read any more.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2021, 02:58:43 am »
I use PADS, with a dongle.
It works well, as long as PADS is still on the market, and Mentor supports it

What worries me, in the long run,

The volatility of vendors can be worrying.

I put a lot of trust in Microchip and Microsoft.
A few times I have had the rug pulled out from me with winforms in Microsoft Visual Studio.
Luckily they had a change of heart and put it back in.

Microchip removed MPASM from MPLAB X, so unless you keep an older version of MPLAB X you are stuffed.

I started off with EasyPC in about 1990 but got fed up with the bugs and wrote my own.

Something open source might be good where you can fix the bugs yourself if need be and you can keep hold of the source code.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2021, 07:54:54 am »
unfortunately there is no easy solution, if there was it would have been found by now. Users just want software that will be there when they need it. I kind of resisted using KiCad while it stagnated but in the end it has proven to be the most stable answer for now and I suspect that even if development stopped it would have more longevity in linux than windows where microsoft these days will remove your programs during an üpdate"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf