Author Topic: LED Indicator-Li-Ion charger  (Read 945 times)

Offline Lrv209Topic starter

• Contributor
LED Indicator-Li-Ion charger
« on: March 30, 2022, 08:38:12 am »
Hi everyone,
I am preparing a schematic for a PCB I will have made for charging a Li-Ion battery and am hoping someone can advise on a part I am trying to find.  My PCB circuit will have 2 LED - one for Charging and one for Charged and will be mounted in a fully enclosed housing.  Power to the board will be via a micro USB available via a panel it will be mounted through in the side of the housing.  While I have all the surface area I need I am also trying to keep the overall thickness of the PCB to below 3.6mm (and the Housing to 4mm thickness) by using the Micro USB and a 0.8mm thick board.  I also am hoping to mount the 2 LED on the PCB and through holes in the vertical panel the USB will be mounted through.  They are only indicators and could be omitted but I am hoping  there is a product out there that someone knows of that will fit in my small space.  I am sure I have seen some tiny <1mm LED at some time but cant find anything like that in my searches of Mouser, Digikey and others.  Of course I could be using the wrong search criteria or maybe they just dont exist and I imagined I have seen them.
If anyone can give me a link to a suitable part or any comments on the availability of such a part that would be much appreciated.  I have seen SMD LED parts which would at least provide the indication required but then they would be behind the panel unless there is some clever way to mount them at right angles to the board surface??

Hope someone can advise so i can either forget about the indicators or find a solution.
Cheers

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: LED Indicator-Li-Ion charger
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 08:55:25 am »
Perhaps a right-angle light pipe?

VCC’s broad offering of board mount right angle light pipes conducts light from SMT LEDs to provide bright and even indication of function status for equipment.

The light pipe transmits the light from surface-mount LEDs to the display panel, and helps LEDs and other sensitive components from ESD.

https://vcclite.com/product-category/lightpipes/lpbmral/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 09:06:09 am by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: Lrv209

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: LED Indicator-Li-Ion charger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 09:02:31 am »
Side emitting or back emitting LED's, so you can either view through the side, or have them on the same side of the PCB as the other components, and thus no added height, just a hole through the PCB to an appropriate spot in the case, or a transparent, or translucent, case.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Lrv209

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf