Author Topic: Logisim Evolution  (Read 2536 times)

Offline djsbTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Logisim Evolution
« on: May 15, 2021, 03:16:16 pm »
Just thought I'd share my discovery of this open source logic simulation software. It's a further development of the original Logisim.

https://github.com/reds-heig/logisim-evolution

There is a short video here that first made me aware of this software.

There are a few more on YouTube.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, TK, rdtsc

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Logisim Evolution
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:40 pm »
This is interesting. Especially since it supports VHDL. It could be a useful tool to create quick testbenches to test pieces of VHDL code. I might give this a try; I have an upcoming VHDL project.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: rdtsc

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:08:28 pm »
This is interesting. Especially since it supports VHDL. It could be a useful tool to create quick testbenches to test pieces of VHDL code. I might give this a try; I have an upcoming VHDL project.

My test benches use bus-functional models of the devices that connect to the FPGA design. I don't know how well that would work in this environment.

Offline rdtsc

• Perseverance is omnipotent.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 11:40:39 pm »
I'm a little leery of installing this on Windows. Unsure about the other versions and OS's, but some rather unusual things appear to be going on in the latest v3.4.5 for Windows:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4cfb842f402e5acdc424780f3e7faa112841517002a3cc24bcefd208c36bac31/detection

Hopefully someone can come along with evidence that this behavior is truly benign.

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 12:16:26 pm »
"No security vendors flagged this file as malicious."

Offline rdtsc

• Perseverance is omnipotent.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 01:37:41 pm »
Right, I think the code itself is fine. Just some peculiarities about the installer are triggering suspicion.
  • Why is msiexec.exe started in 'C:\Users\admin\Downloads\msiexec.exe'?
  • Why are files written to 'C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UPnP Device Host\upnphost\udhisapi.dll' and 'C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector'?
  • Why is the registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player NSS\3.0\Servers\A70D59A1-8EAD-4F40-AAAB-FBFC460800A4\FriendlyName' set to 'WORK:admin'?
In any case, I was able to extract the .msi using https://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract#download (7zip would not work) and THAT all tests fine, nothing suspicious.  Runs fine, too.  It does cause a Windows Firewall message to popup, asking for access to your network/domain.  Can un-check and click Cancel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf