Electronics > PCB/EDA/CAD

Looking for new PCB software and to drop my old one, what are your suggestions?

(1/7) > >>

WarFreak131:
Hello everyone,

EDIT: I know there is the list of PCB software stickied here, but this is asking for a suggestion based on personal use, not about what software is available.

Currently I am using Autotrax DEX as my PCB capture software.  Last night I read through the saga that unfolded several years ago on this forum (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/free-unlimited-version-of-autotrax-pcb-design-software/250/).  Despite the questionable choices by the developer, I actually really enjoy the software, but the bugs, and half-fixes to the bugs, are starting to get annoying, so I am looking for a new program to use.

What are some of your suggestions?  I don't plan on doing anything crazy complicated with the software, so it doesn't have to be enterprise-grade.  As long as I can

-Place components easily (preferably common parts like resistors, capacitors, and diodes should only ever be 1 click away)
-Edit basic properties such as pad size, spacing, number of pins, or rearrange pins on an IC in the schematic
-Create custom parts (like IC's or the pin layout for Nixie tubes)
-Use nets
-Adjust trace spacing and width
-Add copper pours
-Export files for manufacture or PCb assembly

That's about all I need.  It will also need an autorouter, or the ability to interface with an autorouter like FreeRouter.

I played around with Eagle last night for a while and found it very user-unfriendly and unintuitive.  I've downloaded KiCad last night but haven't had a chance to use it, but will do so sometime tonight or this week.  I've also seen that DipTrace promises the "shortest learning curve on the market," and it is reasonably priced.

What are your thoughts on the best software for my needs?

PlainName:
Whatever you try, the user interface will likely seem 'user-unfriendly and unintuitive'. That's a result of them being different to what you are used to, and them being a bit crap anyway. Eventually you'll get used to whichever you go for, so unless there is a big show-stopping thing you can't handle, try and ignore that aspect for the moment.

You will no doubt get more than one recommendation for Kicad, and that may well be your best bet. Personally, the last thing I'd want to get involved with is Eagle, even if the interface was brilliantly intuitive.

Warhawk:

--- Quote from: WarFreak131 on November 07, 2022, 04:38:54 pm ---Hello everyone,

EDIT: I know there is the list of PCB software stickied here, but this is asking for a suggestion based on personal use, not about what software is available.

Currently I am using Autotrax DEX as my PCB capture software.  Last night I read through the saga that unfolded several years ago on this forum (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/free-unlimited-version-of-autotrax-pcb-design-software/250/).  Despite the questionable choices by the developer, I actually really enjoy the software, but the bugs, and half-fixes to the bugs, are starting to get annoying, so I am looking for a new program to use.

What are some of your suggestions?  I don't plan on doing anything crazy complicated with the software, so it doesn't have to be enterprise-grade.  As long as I can

-Place components easily (preferably common parts like resistors, capacitors, and diodes should only ever be 1 click away)
-Edit basic properties such as pad size, spacing, number of pins, or rearrange pins on an IC in the schematic
-Create custom parts (like IC's or the pin layout for Nixie tubes)
-Use nets
-Adjust trace spacing and width
-Add copper pours
-Export files for manufacture or PCb assembly

That's about all I need.  It will also need an autorouter, or the ability to interface with an autorouter like FreeRouter.

I played around with Eagle last night for a while and found it very user-unfriendly and unintuitive.  I've downloaded KiCad last night but haven't had a chance to use it, but will do so sometime tonight or this week.  I've also seen that DipTrace promises the "shortest learning curve on the market," and it is reasonably priced.

What are your thoughts on the best software for my needs?

--- End quote ---

Well, it depends on how much you want to invest and if you're OK with subscription-based licensing or not. Practically most leading tools switched to the subscription-based licensing. This is not acceptable for me but you may have a different opinion. Kicad would be probably #1 tool to try. It has improved significantly over past years. From barely-usable to a fully working solution. It costs you nothing, except the learning curve. You can also stick with the version you like and call it a day. You're not forced to update, etc. Files are human readable.

A less known alternative is Horizon EDA (https://horizon-eda.org/). I have tried it only briefly but the author made an excellent tool. It has completely different UI than you may be used to from the industry leading tools.

DipTrace is also very popular and affordable. However, the development team is based in Ukraine. This adds some risks but maybe a good option if you want to support people there.

CircuitStudio was a cost-down version of Altium Designer. It was initially promising but Altium does not give a damn about it anymore. There's a thread about it. I would avoid it.

And then, Altium Designer of course. But this is an expensive toy.

I personally use Kicad for hobby use (and occasionally for business) and Altium Designer professionally.

Tl;Dr; Give KiCad try, make sure you watch most recent tutorials.

Doctorandus_P:
Another vote for KiCad.

I am very biased though. A bunch of years ago I switched to Linux, and I needed an upgrade for the then 15+ year old "ultiboard" I was using.
Back then I tried several options, and despite some quirkiness  back then, KiCad was a quite refreshing breeze though my head. But that was KiCad V3, which still had some mayor issues. Now KiCad is at Version 6, and V7 is expected around the beginning of next year, and there is a lot of work being done on KiCad. It's a very active open source project, with a healthy community behind it, and the development pace has been accelerating these last few years as more people start using it.

nctnico:
The way I see it there are 3 good mainstream choices nowadays:

- Kicad
- Alitium
- Orcad

Ordered from low to high by the complexity of boards you can design with it comfortably. I think Kicad would be a good start for the OP given the requirements.

One of the main issues with schematic / PCB packages is that each has it's idiosyncrasies and quirky user interface. Take the time to learn how to use the GUI and understand the logic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version