Author Topic: Ltspice is a big dissapointment !  (Read 5030 times)

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Re: Ltspice is a big dissapointment !
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2023, 06:26:26 am »
The sad part about this conversation is that if LTSPICE was a program that was sold,  and a company was dependent on its "appeal" for continued sales, it would have been "revamped" a few times by now.
Like so many other "commercial" products that while still doing the same thing, the interface gets switched around for the sake of "change" in order to sell the new version and differentiate it from the "old" version.
I just know there are some of you out there that are super excited about windows 11 :) 

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

The following users thanked this post: mikerj, Karel

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 06:30:50 am »
I consider it a feature when software is stable, mature and rarely changes. I still use Office 2003 on my Windows machine, 20 years old now and it does way more than I need a word processor and spreadsheet to do. Best part is it doesn't have that stupid ribbon.

The following users thanked this post: mikerj, DimitriP

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 06:36:07 am »
I consider it a feature when software is stable, mature and rarely changes. I still use Office 2003 on my Windows machine, 20 years old now and it does way more than I need a word processor and spreadsheet to do. Best part is it doesn't have that stupid ribbon.

So...there are two of us!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2023, 08:53:24 am »
https://ltwiki.org/index.php?title=LTspice_Genealogy_-_The_Heritage_of_Simulation_Ubiquity

Btw I used to use the Spice (3G5 afaik) in 1987 (or 88) on my Atari520 (1MB dram), CLI only, no GUI. The binary size was around 350kB.. I wrote an app in Basic for generating nice graphs out of the text outputs later on..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 09:00:59 am by imo »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2023, 03:28:35 pm »
The fact that you don't know how to use a professional tool meant for professional engineers doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the tool.

Regardless of whether it's 'professional' or whatever, a tool works best when it is made to fit the user, not vice versa. Making it easier to use doesn't make it 'unprofessional' or a toy, it just makes things more efficient, less error prone and allows the user to focus on the result rather than the journey.

And, for that matter, just because user interface elements are new doesn't mean they are bad. Over time we learn what works well (and doesn't) and new ways to do things. Obviously, stuff made before these elements were available can't use them, but that doesn't automatically mean the old stuff is somehow better. Or that you have to suffer in order to be a 'professional' user.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2023, 06:06:35 pm »
And, for that matter, just because user interface elements are new doesn't mean they are bad. Over time we learn what works well (and doesn't) and new ways to do things. Obviously, stuff made before these elements were available can't use them, but that doesn't automatically mean the old stuff is somehow better. Or that you have to suffer in order to be a 'professional' user.

The reverse is also true, just because interface elements are new doesn't mean that they're better, or that older ones are bad. I'm not arguing that the older stuff is magically better, only that it is not automatically worse. LTSpice is a popular tool that works very well for its intended users, there's always room for improvement, but that will require somebody who thinks that improvement is worth the cost of doing it and the risk of breaking something else, which is virtually inevitable in software development.

The following users thanked this post: DimitriP

Offline tchiwam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2023, 07:34:35 pm »
I am warming up to Kicad + NGspice ...  Not perfect but somewhat usable and less frustration than typing everything or converting the netlist.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2023, 08:23:28 pm »

So...there are two of us!
No, three!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk, DimitriP

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2023, 08:54:23 pm »
Make that four!
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

The following users thanked this post: Warhawk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf