Author Topic: Microcap 12 on Wine  (Read 2867 times)

Offline SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Microcap 12 on Wine
« on: September 16, 2023, 12:13:36 am »
Just a note about Microcap 12 on Wine. I just tested it (Wine 8.15 here) and it appears to work fine. The only minor issue I've encountered is some display artefacts on the schematic view *after* running a simulation.
There are big purple blocks on the schematic, which after some tests seem to be linked to the display of the small purple boxes with the DC operation point values inside.
Zooming in and out updates the view and makes the big blocks disappear.

The following users thanked this post: helius

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Microcap 12 on Wine
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 07:59:22 am »
Seen similar issues when using SATSAGEN from WINE.  At some point the scaling problems were happening in LTspice, too (LTspice also working from WINE).  The fix waas to set the DPI as in WinXP, at 96dpi.

Try from a terminal winecfg, then in the tab 'Graphics' make sure the default 96 DPI is set.  Otherwise, from what I've tried, wine runs almost anything thrown at it, including games.

Apart from Microcap, LTspice and QucsStudio are also working from wine (QucsStudio has live sliders to play with, in Linux it needs some minor tuning in picking which dll wine should use, details in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/qucs-qucs-s-and-qucsstudio-simulators-are-not-the-same-thing/msg3765593/#msg3765593).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 08:03:06 am by RoGeorge »

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Offline SiliconWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Microcap 12 on Wine
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 03:27:19 am »
It looks like a rendering bug not related to scaling. I have Wine set with 96 dpi (which looks tiny on my setup.)
The reason I have stuck with 96dpi is that I use Saturn PCB Toolkit, and if you set anything other than 96 dpi, the app just crashes when starting up. Those using Wine can try and see if they get the same result.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf