Author Topic: Fritzing  (Read 6449 times)

Offline smashedProtonTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fritzing
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:46:36 am »
Does anybody use Fritzing?  If so, how does it stack up to eagle?  I have access to both.  The eternal problem of libraries is the deciding factor
http://www.garrettbaldwin.com/

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Fritzing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 04:01:54 am »
The last time I messed around with Fritzing it struck me as a pointless toy...
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:15:26 am »
By the way, I've never had a problem just making my own libraries. In fact I use an entirely custom library for KiCad - love the program but the included library sucks  :--. Didn't take long to make at all, PCB footprints included (and I included everything - from "P-channel JFET with interchangeable source and drain" to three kinds of thyristors to air-core inductors and so on). It only takes five minutes or so to throw a new chip into the library. Whatever you end up using, I encourage you to get familiar with its library editor.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:29 am »
Is there any chance that you can email me your kicad library?

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:38:54 am »
I can put it together for you tomorrow, but remember - I made it for myself, so it may be missing important things that I have never used, it does not contain PCB footprints that I have not needed, and I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the footprints in general cases (i.e., many are made from measurements I took with a caliper).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 04:41:46 am »
Thank you so much!  The default eagle library is rubbish too.  So I have really only been dealing with that. 

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 03:14:11 pm »
I will get it to you today as promised, but maybe a bit late. I was in the middle of making some changes to it, and it is partially broken. I'll pack it up as soon as I get it fixed.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »
I am a translator for Fritzing. It's a nice educational tool but not for serious engineering.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »
Yeah, "pointless toy" may have been overly blunt, I can see how it would be nice as an educational tool.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »
If you toss the breadboard cad, it's a wonderful tool.   ThLe libraries really need to be better. And SMd would be nice.  I am impressed wi the organization though.  I really wish that circuit hub would come around soon

Offline Eonir

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:37 am »
I'd say Fritzing is a nice image editor for visualising simple electronics projects. I wouldn't want to use its schematic editor, let alone their layout editor.

I think it's an adequate tool to teaching children about electronics (which I think is its entire premise!), but no more than that.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 06:07:38 pm »
I think I would like it if Fritzing had the capability of auto-rotating your components in the schematic view to avoid overly complex wiring.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »
By the way, I've never had a problem just making my own libraries. In fact I use an entirely custom library for KiCad - love the program but the included library sucks  :--. . It only takes five minutes or so to throw a new chip into the library. Whatever you end up using, I encourage you to get familiar with its library editor.
I agree. I've been designing PCBs using a computer for more than 15 years and every single project needs at least one new footprint. A library with standard stuff like resistors, chips, most of the transistor / diode footprints is a good start though.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:17:23 am »
I've decided Fritzing is best at allowing you to share breadboarded projects with others. Or the stuff like, how ditch the Arduino and use just the AVR.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf