Author Topic: Neural Network powered Assembled PCB inspection tool (AOI)  (Read 12535 times)

Offline Calder

• Contributor
Re: Neural Network powered Assembled PCB inspection tool (AOI)
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2023, 11:16:22 am »
I have been using it for a while. Long story short: Their latest releases (5.X?) have the features and capabilities I was looking for. When I started using the service with my own camera, the results were... meh. I would say the system was able to catch around 90% of the faults present on the PCBA. But a 10%ish was a lot. I know the photos I was taking were not as good as they should be, but did not want to invest in any AOI at that moment.
 Now, I am using the system after the pick&place process (saving time and money) AND after the reflow oven stage. Their system is detecting even discontinuities in the circuit traces and it is improving. But do as I did: ask them for a test account and use your own camera. The inspection results depend very much on the quality of the photo of your camera but you can get an inspection platform from them. I made my own.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, kristinapetrova

Offline kristinapetrova

• Kristina Petrova Mastodon
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2023, 11:10:55 am »
Ah! Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize they had a trial account option. That's pretty cool and definitely makes it easier to test the waters without fully committing right off the bat. I'll for sure give it a try and see how it fits with my workflow. Appreciate the info!

Offline johannaandersen

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2023, 05:44:28 pm »
Hey Kristina, did you ever take the plunge? How did it fare? Their website is all about big corporate success stories, but what's the reality for smaller companies? I'm eager to hear your 'real-world' experience.

Offline kristinapetrova

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2023, 09:46:58 am »
Sorry for replying so late, too much food on the plate! Yes, we have tested the system. At first with our own camera, but the process was a bit slow. About 30 seconds/inspection as we had to upload the photo manually to the inspection software. So, we opted to buy the online version they offer. I would say, although I have not done the "study", the AOI system of this company detects 99% of the errors present in our PCBAs after reflow-oven and 100% after pick and place phase: displacements and absences. I was honestly surprised by its speed and how convenient it is because you don't have to program the AOI. It is just a photo.

The following users thanked this post: johannaandersen

Offline johannaandersen

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2023, 11:36:21 am »
Can we honestly hope to attain the 99% in uncovering those faults, undetected errors, or are we simply chasing the impossible? If these numbers are truly accurate, they're more what we would need, I'd say. Mind you, our 5-year old Mirtec machine seems to miss a bit too often, and without diving into a deep sea of statistics, it appears to only pinpoint about 94-96% of errors?

The following users thanked this post: kristinapetrova

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2023, 02:21:48 pm »

The thing with AI is that it keeps getting exponentially better.  You can expect the error rates to keep dropping!

The following users thanked this post: kristinapetrova

Offline kristinapetrova

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2023, 10:47:49 am »
I've definitely seen the inspection speed pick up, and the error marking is now much more accurate. It's way better at catching mistakes now. Fingers crossed we get to that 99% with the next update. Honestly, it feels like the future, the platform's starting to think more like us and less like some conventional AOI.

Offline johannaandersen

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2023, 12:51:11 pm »
Well, thinking about reaching rates of 99% is a bit scary, to be honest. At the end of the day humans are going to be less and less "intelligent." Do you think the system can do customizations, for example to check if a wire harness is properly connected?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf