Author Topic: Odd JLCPCB pricing  (Read 9658 times)

Offline MicrodoserTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Odd JLCPCB pricing
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2023, 08:33:03 pm »
that's an 84% increase in shipping costs
I believe that there's a special "small package" shipping rate from China, and the 5-board 100mm deal is carefully designed to skirt in under that weight.
The same thing happens (or did happen) with domestic shipping, at least in the US.  You could mail small enough packages up to 8oz or so at the first class postage rate ($0.66/oz), and then it jumps to the 1lb rate ($7.xxx) (or "flat rate" boxes @$8.55)

It might be nice if they would divide up your "big order into smaller packages if that makes things cheaper, but  that's asking a lot, IMO.

That makes sense. It would be a very trivial task to alter the purchase code to send them out individually by making each order a separate order, though. I'll just remember to order one, then the next, then the next in future.

Offline Chris56000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2023, 10:18:54 pm »
I sent the Gerber Files for a Lightning Detector System to JLC and they analyzed it as four separate designs even though it had been "panelized", and they asked for an £18 "multi–design" supplement!

It worked out a lot cheaper to pay the £18 supplement than try to re–work the design file into four separate boards and pay four lots of postage, import tax and VAT, etc., etc!

Chris Williams
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2023, 06:59:09 pm »
The last thing I would complain about is JLCPCB pricing.
I have done around 500 different designs with them and they are the cheapest I have found.
If I bought in from the UK they would be many times the price.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 08:13:36 pm »
I'm not complaining, I'm saying it's odd.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2023, 12:11:27 am »
Their business - their rules. Don't like 'em - take your business elsewhere. I for one is eternally thankful to JLCPCB for giving me access to technologies which I could only dream of before - like making five 15x12 cm 10 layer impedance controlled PCBs with via in a pad for just over $200. Before them such tech would be way beyond my price range. And in general for constantly pushing the envelope of what's accessible to hobbyists at great prices.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 12:14:45 am by asmi »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2023, 11:52:07 pm »
Again, I'm not saying I don't like their prices, I'm not complaining, I'm saying they are odd.

Why do people want to turn this into some sort of argument?

Offline vk4ffab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2023, 12:54:32 am »

Not a great deal odd about it, its all about weight when it comes to air freight and the relationship to price is not linear. There are heavy discounts out of China on less than 500 grams, but over that you pay the regular rate. If all you are doing are 100mm boards, then individual orders works out way cheaper, but if you are doing larger boards, bigger orders are much cheaper. My last order 5 different designs, largest board was 260x160mm those 5 boards are 800g and $37 shipping, 20 boards $67 for 3Kg.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2023, 12:58:15 am »
I noticed that because my stencil didn't fit in the same box as the boards, the shipping almost doubled because they shipped it in two boxes.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2023, 04:13:01 am »
I noticed that because my stencil didn't fit in the same box as the boards, the shipping almost doubled because they shipped it in two boxes.
To reduce the shipping charges you can request a smaller stencil (if that works for you.)  There is an option for this.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf