Author Topic: Orcad Competitive Upgrade - Hot deal happening now!  (Read 7931 times)

Offline mstevensTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Orcad Competitive Upgrade - Hot deal happening now!
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:25 am »
For those of you who own a competing product, EMA Design is currently running a competitive upgrade special to Orcad Pro. I got a VERY good deal; I don't dare mention the price. You should call Fred at 585-334-6001 x124 and tell him Melvin sent you. He is eager to sell!!

Wow, I can't believe the deal I got and the process was very simple. Anyone interested in an Orcad Pro license should call tomorrow. I have been on the fence for at least 1.5 years now and I finally got a deal I could not refuse. And no, I am not getting any kickbacks!! Just trying to pass along info so you all don't miss out if you were considering purchasing a seat of Orcad Pro.

Now I will get a chance to see how it really stacks up against Altium Designer.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:31:29 am by mstevens »

Offline mars01

• Contributor
Re: Orcad Competitive Upgrade - Hot deal happening now!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:32:25 pm »
I don't dare mention the price.
Why don't you dare? Please share it here otherwise your post is just a seller's cry for help ...

The following users thanked this post: Frank

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 08:43:27 pm »
For those of you who own a competing product, EMA Design is currently running a competitive upgrade special to Orcad Pro. I got a VERY good deal; I don't dare mention the price. You should call Fred at 585-334-6001 x124 and tell him Melvin sent you. He is eager to sell!!

Wow, I can't believe the deal I got and the process was very simple. Anyone interested in an Orcad Pro license should call tomorrow. I have been on the fence for at least 1.5 years now and I finally got a deal I could not refuse. And no, I am not getting any kickbacks!! Just trying to pass along info so you all don't miss out if you were considering purchasing a seat of Orcad Pro.

It's still OrCAD though, they'd have to pay me to use it, and quite a lot at that as well...

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 08:47:47 pm »
Is this an offer that's specifically limited to customers in the USA?

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 09:45:02 pm »

Limited time offer. Valid in North America Only.

yes they do that every year in the US - but not for the rest of the world.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 10:00:39 pm »
I asked and pressured them last year and they would not budge as it would harm the EU distributors.

But maybe one should try again. Started with Orcad.. Might as well end with it *G*

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:35 pm »
I don't dare mention the price.
Why don't you dare? Please share it here otherwise your post is just a seller's cry for help ...

I think as with all the vendors now if you have negotiating skills you may be able to get it for less that advertised. I think I got a REALLY good deal. Give him a call.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 10:07:12 pm »

It's still OrCAD though, they'd have to pay me to use it, and quite a lot at that as well...

As I understand it OrCAD is an industry standard. It got that way by being around a VERY long time. Subsequently it probably definitely suffers from legacy everything (UI/workflow/code/etc); but I am sure that if one wants to work in industry doing PCB design, knowing OrCAD may be a plus on the resume. And I think this is about a inexpensive as I would ever be able to have a license. If its not for you, then its not.

• Regular Contributor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 10:14:10 pm »

This is a deal that they have been running now for a while. It is a different deal from the competitive upgrade to which I am referring. The price on the deal to which I am referring must be good as Fred told me today that their licensing department has been overwhelmed with this promotion over the last few days. If you are considering a seat of Orcad Pro, I reiterate that now might be the best time to buy. Call Fred at Fred P: 585-334-6001 x124 and tell him Melvin sent you. I think if you do this he might be expecting that I told you all what I paid and you might get the same KILLER deal I got. I state again, I don't get any kickbacks. I just hate when I miss a good deal so I am taking the time to let everyone know about it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:18:16 pm »

I plan to order a more advanced version at a confidential price and ditch Altium as I'm moving back to China. Altium China is asking an extortion amount of money for me to transfer mine to China.

That sucks!! Altium really pisses me off at times. But I am a long time Altium user; I've had my license(s) since Protel 99. This is one of the reasons I at least wanted to give OrCAD a try.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »
USS 485 sounds reasonable

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 12:05:15 am »
USS 485 sounds reasonable

I think it is more than reasonable for the Standard version; I purchased that deal but found that there are some features missing that were only in the Pro version. So I opted to spend a little more and get the Pro version which has all the bells and whistles.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 12:31:57 am by mstevens »

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 01:57:48 am »
And no, I am not getting any kickbacks!!

This is not true. You got a deal in order to get more people to call in and upgrade to Orcad Professional. I just went through this with another board member and my sales rep wouldn't match the deal he got. The deal he got was upgrade to professional for $1800(US). For me it was $3850 (US). I would say Orcad Standard is pretty useless feature wise but I am stuck with it now.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:08:34 am by RomDump »
--
RomDump

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 03:42:16 am »

This is not true. You got a deal in order to get more people to call in and upgrade to Orcad Professional.

What you have just done is effectively called me liar. I state again, I don't get any by letting you all know about this deal. Perhaps instead of insulting people you should work on your negotiating skills. I got a good deal. A key for me to continue to get good deals is to not disclose my negotiated price. I will say that I have been negotiating with this rep for 1.5 years now so perhaps my deal was just a result of my tenacity and persistence.  I only tell people to use my name because I am hoping Fred will put people in the same ballpark figure that I got.

It make me look like a moron if I say you can get a deal then you all go contact him and have to pay full price! Perhaps could not get a deal because you don't own a competing product; which is what this promo is all about.

Please don't call me a liar. Fred did not ask me for any referral until after my transaction had been completed; any I would have expected no less from a GOOD salesperson. Having done sales for a good portion of my life, I appreciate a salesperson who can see my side of the sale and work with me to help me get the product which I'm trying to obtain. Further I saw in another thread here where someone got a pro license for like $1200 or so, I was pissed that I had shelled out $430 for the limited Standard version and they would not let me get the Pro version for that price. I told Fred I was pissed about this; and he has given me several quotes that just still did not get me un-pissed. Fred called me on Monday with a deal that I could not refuse.

To helped others that may want an Orcas Pro seat, I posted! Fred had no expectation that I would send him referrals; he was merely trying to make a sale considering the following factors: "I lost out on the first $1200 deal (in essence I think I got shafted by EMA Design)", "I own an AD license and really have no need for Orcad", and the "Orcad Pro purchase is really just a toy for me (I don't make money with it or Altium)".

I don't understand why you would even make the post you made. I am no liar.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:57:01 am by mstevens »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:08 am »

and my sales rep wouldn't match the deal he got. The deal he got was upgrade to professional for $1800(US). For me it was $3850 (US). I would say Orcad Standard is pretty useless feature wise but I am stuck with it now.

Perhaps you should have just called Fred like I pointed out. You know when vendors are cutting deals, They try to get the most money they can get out of you. Further, some sales reps will sell for lower; because they would rather have a bigger volume of sales. Some reps just want to sell for retail so they get the most commission per sale. At any rate your statement here proves my initial point; it seems that the person to whom you refer got a greater than 50% discount. If you knew people could get that kind of a discount on such a large dollar item would you not spread the word?

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 12:37:59 pm »
As I understand it OrCAD is an industry standard. It got that way by being around a VERY long time. Subsequently it probably definitely suffers from legacy everything (UI/workflow/code/etc); but I am sure that if one wants to work in industry doing PCB design, knowing OrCAD may be a plus on the resume. And I think this is about a inexpensive as I would ever be able to have a license. If its not for you, then its not.

Oh, no worries, I've used it, hence my distaste for it. Between the non-existent documentation, horrible licensing policies, the massive amounts of bugs and the fact that it's three different pieces of software tied together in a haphazard way it only has one redeeming factor: It's still better than Cadence Virtuoso. That one has a watchdog timer enforced crash system built right into it I suspect. But if you're out collecting industry standard software for PCB design, there are a couple of "industry standards" like this. Mentor Graphics Xpedition comes to mind for capture and layout work, for pre-manufacturing UCAM is quite common, and if you want to do RF work you'll want that sweet sweet ADS license. Which is to say, something being industry standard is not a good reason to buy it over something else.

But the main reason why I'm posting in this thread: I honestly wouldn't waste money on OrCAD if Altium is a viable option. Though I suspect Cadence and Mentor Graphics might be feeling Autodesk breathing down their neck at this point, so they might actually put some effort into it again.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 02:17:38 pm »
But the main reason why I'm posting in this thread: I honestly wouldn't waste money on OrCAD if Altium is a viable option. Though I suspect Cadence and Mentor Graphics might be feeling Autodesk breathing down their neck at this point, so they might actually put some effort into it again.

I agree!! I believe Altium is the best alternative. I only made this post because I know that everyone has preferences and biases; and for those who think Cadence software is the way to go well this deal should be for them. I personally purchased it so that I would have some real personal experience with it; and it was worth it for the deal I got.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
I don't think this is very useful comment here because everyone has personal preferences. I feel exactly the opposite when it comes to Altium. I have used Altium but found it very convoluted. A couple of months I bought the latest Orcad PCB designer package (17.2) and I managed to create a good PCB design (4 layers with some fine pitch SMT) without any training. I have had both Altium and Orcad demonstrated to me. In the end both packages have their strong and weak points.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:53:04 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:51 pm »
I feel exactly the opposite when it comes to Altium. I have used Altium but found it very convoluted. A couple of months I bought the latest Orcad PCB designer package (17.2) and I managed to create a good PCB design (4 layers with some fine pitch SMT) without any training.

What was your experience/background? I only know PCB design a little. Now that I have had the time to try OrCAD, I can say for me Altium is easier to use of the two. I would definitely go to AD for PCB design. What did you find easier about Orcad?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:15:53 pm »
I feel exactly the opposite when it comes to Altium. I have used Altium but found it very convoluted. A couple of months I bought the latest Orcad PCB designer package (17.2) and I managed to create a good PCB design (4 layers with some fine pitch SMT) without any training.
What was your experience/background? I only know PCB design a little. Now that I have had the time to try OrCAD, I can say for me Altium is easier to use of the two. I would definitely go to AD for PCB design. What did you find easier about Orcad?
First of all I have used Orcad STD (DOS) and Capture (Windows) for over 25 years at various companies. In the Netherlands Orcad has a strong user base. Previously I have used Orcad Layout to create PCB designs but that has been discontinued for several years now.

I think Altium has more eye candy where Orcad is more geared towards functionality. I think the biggest differentiator between the two packages is that Orcad has a signal integrity simulation package included. For me a big plus of Orcad is that the PCB package runs on Linux natively. So far I have managed to get going by using on-line resources like instruction videos and fora.

Ultimately there is not much difference between the packages. One of my customers choose Altium because they wanted to exchange designs with other companies which happen to use Altium. Without that the choice could have just as easely swung the other way because Orcad is cheaper.

At one employer I have used Altium but I needed the manual on my lap to get started on a schematic. Nothing was intuitive to me. It is also slow. And there is one thing I really hate about Altium; the default font for the pin names and labels: 'Times'. Who uses that as a default? It becomes completely unreadable when printed small (like you'd do with a schematic). It can be changed but most designers don't bother.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:06:16 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 12:22:58 am »
First of all I have used Orcad STD (DOS) and Capture (Windows) for over 25 years at various companies. In the Netherlands Orcad has a strong user base. Previously I have used Orcad Layout to create PCB designs but that has been discontinued for several years now.

At one employer I have used Altium but I needed the manual on my lap to get started on a schematic. Nothing was intuitive to me. It is also slow. And there is one thing I really hate about Altium; the default font for the pin names and labels: 'Times'. Who uses that as a default? It becomes completely unreadable when printed small (like you'd do with a schematic). It can be changed but most designers don't bother.

I guess I need to keep an open mind then because although I have absolutely no Professional pcb design experience, I have owned an Altium license since about 1999. My first impression are the exact opposite. I find Altium VERY intuitive and Orcad no so. I really can't do anything with this package. I need to go through some training/tutorials. This thing is not at all intuitive. Further, to do Supplier part lookup and import is a VERY easy in AD which is a big plus for AD over any package but I can't even seem to find a tutorial on how to set it up in Orcad. There is no setup required for this feature in Altium Designer.

Supplier part parameter import is, IMHO an absolute necessity. It is a shame it is not seamless in ALL pcb packages. And to pay as much as one has to for Orcad and it not be seamless should almost be a crime.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 01:03:38 am »
I have my own component database which is tied into Orcad's CIS component. You don't want random components (symbols, footprints) in your design.

Being able to put something together quickly may seem like an advantage but in the long run you'll want to create your own symbols and footprints for consistency and readability. For example: what is often missing on connector footprints is the outline of the mating connector and/or the direction in which the wires or mating connector are plugged into a connector.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:07:11 am by nctnico »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 02:52:36 am »
I have my own component database which is tied into Orcad's CIS component. You don't want random components (symbols, footprints) in your design.

Yes I get that but to get in all the parameters for the component say like the attached is as simple as looking up the component in a supplier search window then clicking import; at least for AD 18 and prior. I think in v19 it is as easy as searching and then placing the component. But the first involves manually creating the footprint and schematic symbol. Once the sch symbol is created the just import all those parameters. Is something like this even possible in Orcad? If it is it is elusive.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:56:05 am by mstevens »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 12:02:27 pm »
The Orcad CIS component management system can get data from several suppliers. I have never tried it though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf