Author Topic: PCB CNC Milling/Isolation Routing  (Read 28664 times)

Offline veryevil

• Supporter
Re: PCB CNC Milling/Isolation Routing
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 12:33:21 pm »
Interested in trying this out and was wondering what controller you guys use for your machines. Are they any cheap solutions that don't use a parallel port?

Offline johansen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 09:09:25 pm »
if you can find one of these, this is the cheapest solution.
http://smoothieware.org/smoothieboard

there seems to be some talk of the boards being available soon on the forum.

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:24 am »
I have a couple of T-Tech 7000S machines for this stuff

First I wonder what software you are using?

I use LPKF Qcam to do the isolation/rubout. I then export the data as a gerber into Isopro.exe which controls the T-Tech machine.

I had to modify the Isopro software to work with my older machine because my machine couldn't support one of the control commands that sets the motor speed. So I had to force the software to step over this bit of code in the exe file.
The machine was originally bundled with some fairly hideous DOS software called ISOLATOR but I managed to modify isopro to make it work on my machine. This was a huge, HUGE improvement :)

Isopro.exe can also do the isolation and rubout stage but their algorithms for this aren't as powerful or as versatile as LPKFs Qcam software. The whole process is a bit fiddly but I've done it so many times now that I can prepare the files very quickly :)

My machines both came with Nilfisk extraction systems with Hepa filters but I still run the system with the Nilfisk vacuum stood outside the house through an upstairs window. So the majority of any leaked particles that get past the Hepa filterget sucked out into the street rather than blown around the room.

Offline jaxbirdTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »
Interested in trying this out and was wondering what controller you guys use for your machines. Are they any cheap solutions that don't use a parallel port?

I've used parallel controllers for years, and still use them, but now ended up making my own USB to parallel controller plus software for Windows. I really always wanted to use an old laptop like I do with my 3D printer. But real-time parallel ports and laptops don't play well together. Tried docking stations, pcmcia controllers etc. doesn't work well. So a small USB based device to do all the real time stuff proved the best solution for me.

Anyway, this is what I use now:

Not very popular, it's only got 1 user :)

Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Offline sigxcpu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 08:33:51 pm »
Do you use GRBL for the controller or something else?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 09:19:21 pm »
While fiberglass dust is nasty stuff, and should be vacuumed out of the way whenever possible, I can't find any authorities that will come out and say that it is actually "carcinogenic". There seems to be a lot of "waffling" saying that is it "possibly" or "potentially" carcinogenic, etc.  And examples of listing it, and then de-listing it, etc. I get the sense that much of the concern is based on previous experience with asbestos fibers, but of course, being man-made, fiberglass fibers are orders of magnitude larger than natural asbestos fibers and don't appear have an equivalent method of affecting lung tissue, etc. as asbestos does.

I have on order a CNC machine kit from http://pdjinc.com/ and, to be sure, I ordered it with the (optional) dust boot to connect to the shop vacuum.  Wearing safety eye protection is mandatory, as far as I am concerned, whenever using power tools, and many hand tools as well.  And I will certainly wear a dust mask if the vacuum can't keep up with that fine dust.  But fiberglass dust doesn't make my top-10 list of possible environmental hazards, at least in my world.  I wouldn't sprinkle it on my popcorn, but I wouldn't run to the emergency room if I inhaled a lung-full of it, either.

This thread makes me want to try direct routing PC boards when I get my machine running.

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 09:41:51 pm »
I have no moral qualms about letting you get lung cancer. Fiberglass dust, in small enough doses, is as harmful as asbestos.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 10:25:05 pm »
Fiberglass dust, in small enough doses, is as harmful as asbestos.
That is a good working premise.  It certainly isn't beneficial to breathe any kind of dust. 
But I have yet to see current, authoritative evidence that fiberglass is actually carcinogenic.

Offline jaxbirdTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:24 pm »
Do you use GRBL for the controller or something else?

I use a custom home brew based on a pic24 16 bit mcu.

I had a quick look at GRBL a long time ago, but, while impressive that it runs on the Arduino platform. It's really much too slow and lacking too many features to be useful.

No need to do all the G-Code parsing and interpretation in the mcu, much simpler to have the PC prepare the bulk of the work and limit the little mcu's workload to basic buffering and the realtime control.

Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf