Author Topic: PCB design software linux  (Read 3208 times)

Offline cleanworkbenchTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
PCB design software linux
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:32:59 pm »
What do people recommend for Linux mint as a good free PCB design software just for hobby stuff, single and double plane should do it design . Any suggestions please.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: PCB design software linux
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:43:58 pm »
KiCAD. To the best of my knowledge it's the only free and open source design software running natively under linux that's worth considering.

edit: There's also Eagle, but, Autodesk essentially destroyed it for me, so no.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:47:44 pm by daqq »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline cleanworkbenchTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 09:57:58 pm »
Thank you , i will give that a look .

Offline Lukas

• Frequent Contributor
    • carrotIndustries.net
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:14:36 pm »
I'm glad you ask. It's just about a week until the first stable release of Horizon EDA, a PCB design software I've been developing for the past 3 years:

https://horizon-eda.org/
https://horizon-eda.readthedocs.io/en/latest/feature-overview.html

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:17:27 am »
I use KiCAD on both Linux and Windows, it's quite good.

No reason to look at anything else IMO, Eagle is dead and none of the hobbyist packages I've seen come close to the capabilities.

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:14:50 am »
I'm glad you ask. It's just about a week until the first stable release of Horizon EDA, a PCB design software I've been developing for the past 3 years:

Great progress! I ma looking forward to try it.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:01:48 am »
KiCAD. To the best of my knowledge it's the only free and open source design software running natively under linux that's worth considering.

edit: There's also Eagle, but, Autodesk essentially destroyed it for me, so no.

2x 100% agreed.

KiCAD does whatever you need.

BTW the goal of EAGLE incorporated pretty much is to
embrace and destroy - simple rule of thumb for those corps.

They act together with a non disclosed agenda...
which eventually boils down to that "LICENSE" fees
and  controlled  form factor user setup.

I've ditched them all by late 90's
things just started to work as they should WITHOUT
their hidden daemons and licenses running "ON MY PAID HARDWARE"

Paul

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 10:59:44 am »
Consider gEDA PCB as well. Personally I can't stand the visual clutter of KiCAD (and most PCB software out there). There is no easy way to quickly view only the top layer (with silk, pads, traces and everything) and quickly switch to viewing any other layer. You have to disable and enable 6 different layers, and things like borders around components can't even be disabled. How do you even get work done when your overview of the board looks like this (not even a complex board):

https://kicad-pcb.org/img/screenshots/pcbnew.png

For comparison this is what a board looks like in gEDA with the top layer visible:
912684-0
Notice how the bottom side components are still faintly visible (can be disabled as well), which can help you align things but does not litter your screen and make it impossible to see the big picture (like in KiCAD).

This is with top layer overlaid on in1, for example to see at a glance what traces are going over a solid ground plane:
912688-1

Pressing tab quickly switches to bottom view of the board:
912692-2

When designing RF boards it's much easier to visualize the 3d structure with gEDA. In KiCAD there is a 3d view, but it's a separate view and you can't see it in realtime as you lay down traces.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:07:09 am by OwO »
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 02:39:07 pm »

Didn't try your software but the part management looks to be well implemented!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lutkeveld

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:51:31 pm »
Consider gEDA PCB as well. Personally I can't stand the visual clutter of KiCAD (and most PCB software out there). There is no easy way to quickly view only the top layer (with silk, pads, traces and everything) and quickly switch to viewing any other layer. You have to disable and enable 6 different layers, and things like borders around components can't even be disabled. How do you even get work done when your overview of the board looks like this (not even a complex board):

<image>

When designing RF boards it's much easier to visualize the 3d structure with gEDA. In KiCAD there is a 3d view, but it's a separate view and you can't see it in realtime as you lay down traces.

Press H to highlight the currently selected layer. Remaining layers will be gray and (almost) transparant.

Also; if you keep the 3D viewer open you can quickly alt-tab to view results. Or keep it open in a seperate window, but it will only update when you click on it.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline Pseudobyte

• Frequent Contributor
  • Embedded Systems Engineer / PCB Designer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 09:01:55 pm »
There is no easy way to quickly view only the top layer (with silk, pads, traces and everything) and quickly switch to viewing any other layer.

Well that just isn't true.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do”

Offline Warhawk

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal resume
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
There is no easy way to quickly view only the top layer (with silk, pads, traces and everything) and quickly switch to viewing any other layer.

How do you do it? I struggle with KiCads layer display too. (I know the highlight mode).

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 11:13:19 am »

How do you do it? I struggle with KiCads layer display too. (I know the highlight mode).

With "Layers Manager" active, right-click inside the "Layers" tab, select "Show All Front Layers" or "Show All Back Layers" in the menu that appears. Unfortunately, this also re-enables all layers you might have disabled to reduce clutter. For example, I never enable the "Fab" layers, but when using "Show All <...> Layers", they come back on again. One possible work-around is to disable the Fab layers in the layer stack completely. That's what I usually do as I don't need them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:17:20 am by thinkfat »
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 11:52:27 am »
Personally I can't stand the visual clutter of KiCAD (and most PCB software out there). There is no easy way to quickly view only the top layer (with silk, pads, traces and everything) and quickly switch to viewing any other layer.

There is in recent versions. You can also set the alpha on layers.

You're using an old version of KiCad, the UI has been improving a lot recently. That's a lot to do with some new developers on the team, who are specifically interested in improving the UI which has never been the focus of the core developers. There is still a LOT of stuff that needs improving, but I see very positive progress.

Also if you use KiCad, https://forum.kicad.info/ is a fantastic resource.

Anyway, in addition to KiCad and gEDA, there is also Horizon and LibrePCB, so you can choose whichever suits you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:54:41 am by donotdespisethesnake »
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf