Author Topic: Harmonized Commodity Codes: Finding the right match for our product?  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Martin FTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Hi there Eevblog,

We sell a CAN bus data logger, which is used to record data from e.g. cars, trucks etc. onto an SD card.
We're often required to share a commodity code when sending shipments abroad to e.g. India - but we're unsure what harmonized code best matches our product.
We've previously used a broad one for Electronics (9030.84.00) but have heard it would be better to go more specific.

Our page is: https://www.csselectronics.com
Hope you can help!

Martin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:35:44 am by Martin F »

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
Re: Harmonized Commodity Codes: Finding the right match for our product?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:33:58 pm »
I'm mostly bumping this thread with a "me too". I would appreciate a resource—someone I could hire to find the "right" code who does something more than just searching the codes for keywords (which I can do just as well.)

For products that haven't existed before, it's a challenge. My company sells a measuring tool that is designed with power-generation turbine alignment in mind. Ultimately it is a measuring device, electronic, other which seems to be the best fit. You're probably on the right track, but I'd download the chapters of codes to find the best guess since sometimes it's buried in something you don't expect—like maybe computer equipment or automotive.
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Harmonized Commodity Codes: Finding the right match for our product?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 05:30:27 pm »
In the UK part of the TAX office (HMRC) who deal with import/export have phone number and e-mail address you can use for queries, I'd be surprised it other countries didn't have something similar.

I suppose if you were someone outside the UK, and looking to sell / import a product to the UK, you could ask them the appropriate code to use on your product.....
I've used them before and they were quite helpful.

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

Offline Eka

• Regular Contributor
In the UK part of the TAX office (HMRC) who deal with import/export have phone number and e-mail address you can use for queries, I'd be surprised it other countries didn't have something similar.

I suppose if you were someone outside the UK, and looking to sell / import a product to the UK, you could ask them the appropriate code to use on your product.....
I've used them before and they were quite helpful.

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

The USA has similar. You can ask for a judgement on what harmonization code a product falls under, but there is a catch. The import inspector reviewing the shipment has the final word. It may be different.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf