Author Topic: PCB123  (Read 1626 times)

Offline etechparker

PCB123
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:22 pm »
Anybody Capturing Designs in Sunstones PCB123?  What troubles have you had? :-/O

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
Re: PCB123
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:56:41 pm »
I used PCB123 in 2009 for a 6 layer board and it worked well. Short learning curve and it got the job done. I showed it to one of my friends and he uses it to this day. Even though I have not laid out a board with it in many years, I have had to interface with it quite a bit since I was doing the mechanics to match the PCB's.

The Good
  • Good for beginners to learn basic PCB layout
  • Shows real-time pricing as you design
  • One click ordering with no need to prep Gerbers or other process that could bungle things up
  • FREE
  • Well supported, Sunstone is great about helping

The Bad
  • Limited feature set
  • you can only use Sunstone to make the PCB
  • The included library is only for reference, MANY parts are wrong
  • Fiddly interface

For FREE, there is nothing to complain about. I did not want to put any effort into building a library knowing that moving to a commercial package would be important for me. I could see the limitations early on which were not a problem at the time, but they would soon be a problem. It has also been upgraded many times since I last had to deal with it - 2 years ago.

I ended up with Eagle which has served me well and now I have my sights set on Altium Designer. PCB123 was a great way to learn the basics.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf