Author Topic: JLCPCB alters soldermask without any notice  (Read 551 times)

Offline KL27xTopic starter

• Super Contributor
JLCPCB alters soldermask without any notice
« on: April 23, 2024, 07:50:38 pm »
I know what you're expecting. That I used a stock soldermask layer with clearances too fine for the manufacturing process, and JLCPCB simply changed it to make it manufacturable within their listed specifications.

Nope. The soldermask layer I sent has a nice and easy solid polygon covering entire area of a quad flat IC, extending about half a mm beyond the edge of the chip.

I've ordered from them before, done the same thing, and they made it no problem.

This time they changed it without any engineering query. Instead of one large polygon, they made the sodlermask opening as 4 small slits for each row of ICs and a fifth hole for the ground pad.  The problems with this are multiple. First off, it doesn't work. When trying to reflow a chip to this board, the soldermask opening ends right at the edge of the chip (if not slightly before!), which doesn't even meet the specification for this part. Datasheet specifies pads to extend 0.3mm beyond the edge of the chip. No matter how I try, a filet does not form to the sidepads. So short of having X-ray inspection, you can't even verify a connection is made. Worse, connections are NOT reliably made. The bottom part of the pads is too small for that to occur, reliably. Especially when there's that extra thickness of coverlay that was added around the ground pad!

This is besides the point that I purposely increased the exposed copper slightly larger than the standard footprint so I could solder these chips with an iron. Even if the altered soldermask worked properly when reflowed, I would not use them. I'd have them remade. But at least I could have verified the board works properly in other regards.

Worst of all, this board was a relatively minor change to a previous board, so I did not order prototype quantity. I ordered a fairly large quantity. And not they're all trash.

Now am I being unreasonable? All I asked was for them to be remade with my soldermask layer, and I would bite these boards and pay again. So what happened?

I spent the next week receiving a free lecture from their engineer as to how he fixed my boards. After that waste of time, I finally received instructions to include instructions next time to use my soldermask layer and include the magic words "I accept all risk of solderbridges and losses caused by soldermask." So I hit reorder, added this message, checked out, and what happens?

I get message that I have to start order process all over from the beginning. Adding more salt, I paid them extra to panelize my board for me. Now I have to put the specs and quantities in all over again, reupload gerber, and pay to panelize my board, again. Good grief. I might as well order from a different manufacturer at this point.

This isn't a "don't use JLCPCB" rant. I was happy with them before. Just a caution that you must apparently add a note to request they actually bother to use the gerber files you sent them, especially the soldermask layer. They have a new engineer there who is very bright and eager to improve your boards without notice, and he will also give you free lectures.                 

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: JLCPCB alters soldermask without any notice
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 08:20:38 pm »
Photo would help.

I'm surprised they bother to look at any gerbers that don't obviously violate the rules. It seems like a waste of time to me.
Just have the disclaimer "we make your design if your design is bad no refunds."
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 08:34:09 pm »
This time they changed it without any engineering query. Instead of one large polygon, they made the sodlermask opening as 4 small slits for each row of ICs and a fifth hole for the ground pad.       
I've experienced Chinese fabs messing up with stencils in a similar way by reducing aperture in different ways, even when explicitly requested not to. Probably because many hobbyists just leave 100% aperture everywhere.  Why in hell you'd mess with solder mask though. Picture would certainly help to see the issue as it's hard to understand what it was and what they did. Row of ICs or did you mean row of pads?  :-//
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:36:39 pm by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: KL27x

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:10 pm »
There is a check box on the order page labeled "Confirm Production File".  You should probably check that and do your review of their production gerbers in the future.

I wonder what would happen if under "PCB Remarks" notes section you just put something like "Gerber files MUST NOT BE MODIFIED!!!  Boards MUST be made EXACTLY AS SPECIFIED IN GERBERS!!!" 

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, KL27x

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 09:45:21 pm »
There is a check box on the order page labeled "Confirm Production File".  You should probably check that and do your review of their production gerbers in the future.

Looks like you are right that would help, https://jlcpcb.com/help/article/582-how-to-confirm-the-production-file
Then download the files and do a gerber comparison using some free tool: https://www.altium.com/gerber-compare/

Shouldn't have to but.. good to know

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 09:48:58 pm »
Thanks, Smokey. I'll have to look for that. I don't recall it. They definitely have the correct gerber. The engineer sent me a picture of it, the way it is supposed to be, to show me where it "would short-circuit" and why he changed it.

Wraper, that's funny. But I typed that wrong. They made 4 small slits for each row of pins on the quadpack. So in addition to now covering parts of the copper that are necessary to form the side fillet and see a connection, they also don't connect properly. If you set the chip on the board, you can't see any exposed copper, at all. That's how small they changed the openings.

Either some pins don't connect, or if you try to use more solder you get short circuits. I tried populating some with hot air, and I have yet to succeed.

The worst part is the delay. When you ask "how do I get these made with my soldermask layer and shovel more of my money at you?" You wait and wait to be told by the engineer why his board is so much better and how your board will end the universe. And still no answers to any of my questions.

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 10:38:18 pm »

Beware that JLC only give you a finite period to review of 24 hours before auto-confirming. Orders don't sit at the confirmation stage indefinitely until you act.

I got caught out by this recently - submitted an order late in the evening (my time), and the "please confirm" email came through about an hour later. Didn't see the email until next day, but something urgent came up and couldn't do it straight away, and by the time I could it was already auto-confirmed.

They don't mention this anywhere I've seen. I suggested to their customer service that this is far too short a period, and at least 48h would be more suitable.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Kean

Offline JLCPCB Official

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 02:06:14 am »

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll forward this to our support team. If necessary, feel free to provide your order number, and I’ll look into it with our engineers.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 03:22:15 am »

Beware that JLC only give you a finite period to review of 24 hours before auto-confirming. Orders don't sit at the confirmation stage indefinitely until you act.

When it's important, I'll open a chat with a real person (as far as I can tell anyway) and make it very clear that an order is not to be started without gerber review and confirmation.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 04:59:23 pm »
Last I have heard they are remaking my boards, now. Agent also acknowledges this shouldn't have occurred and claims it won't happen again.

It took me some time to even remember all of the reasons I altered the soldermask openings on some of the other component footprint. All of which were altered.

Just one example: ICSP pogo pin header. I removed the soldermask between pads, turning the opening into a single big rectangle. So I'm silently staring at my tstop layer, wondering the purpose. But I know I don't want it altered.

Couple weeks before recall kicked in. I did this because it makes it easier to clean the pads with a Q tip, if necessary. It's just I haven't use this header, myself, in many years. When I need to do ICSP, it requires a more stable, hands-free connection. Because I'm writing new code, and that never works on the first try. So I hardwire a better connector. But pogo pin connection IS used further down the road. If I didn't have a problem populating the board, I probably wouldn't have noticed this change. This would have just made someone else's days slightly more annoying!

That's my free lecture. Manufacturing is complicated, and reasons for weird decisions are not always obvious even to the person who made them.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 08:19:48 pm »
Sharp pointed or crown tip pogo pins shouldn't require cleaning of the board. But interesting info regardless.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:21:56 pm »
It was nearly ten years ago since this last occurred, but I have been known to leave fatal bugs in my code and spend a weekend on-site helping to reflash boards.

Most of the time, you don't need to clean pads. Sometimes you do, because of stray flux splatter or oxidation. Or just because the flash failed the first 1-2 times and you have to rule it out.

Having been on this end of things, in that scenario where you might be flashing boards for the next several hours of your life, nonstop? This small tweak can make your life easier. If you're an EE who works only behind a computer, it's easy to believe that everything is black and white, either 100% works all the time or it doesn't, and that's rarely the reality. And with sufficient quantities, even fringe cases will add up and become significant.

That said, +1 agree on spear or crown-points.

I feel like I dodged a bullet, finally asking for a refund. Even including the suggestion I might as well start over with a new manufacturer. My previous favorite seems to have gone out of business since COVID. And JLC prices are hard to even compete with, for these boards, specifically. That was basically "now I'm finally so irritated, I'm talking nonsense." The reason I was originally happy to pay again to get my boards done correctly, is because JLC is good.  Going elsewhere was a bluff, and I would have eventually resubmitted a new order after pouting for a bit!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:41:42 pm by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf