Author Topic: Question about LTspice on macOS  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Scyth3934Topic starter

• geekbench profile
Question about LTspice on macOS
« on: July 16, 2022, 04:19:11 pm »
Hi all, I was wondering how to alter the default save location for LTspice on macOS. Upon installation, it created a folder in my Documents titled "LTspice". Whenever I move said folder, it makes a new one in my Documents upon restarting the app. Any help is appreciated.

Online bateau020

• Regular Contributor
Re: Question about LTspice on macOS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 11:37:41 am »
Haven't found it. The preferences (plutil -p /Users/{yourusername}/Library/Preferences/LTC.LTspice.plist) do not seem to allow changing it. Just save your work elsewhere.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 06:14:18 pm »
Hi all, I was wondering how to alter the default save location for LTspice on macOS. Upon installation, it created a folder in my Documents titled "LTspice". Whenever I move said folder, it makes a new one in my Documents upon restarting the app. Any help is appreciated.

Well, everyone knows that the LTSpice user interface sucks. This is just one example why. You have to do a "File -> Save As ..." and mouse around in the Finder to your preferred location.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 07:47:50 pm »
You might try deleting the LtSpice folder, and replacing it by a soft link (with the same name) pointing to the folder you want it to use

Offline Scyth3934Topic starter

• geekbench profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 02:54:56 am »
Any recommendations on alternatives then?

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 06:05:52 pm »
Any recommendations on alternatives then?

MacSpice is an excellent well-supported SPICE simulator for macOS. The current version is also Apple Silicon (ARM) native.

The only obvious thing about it is that it is just the simulation engine. There is no schematic capture. You will need to create and maintain the source files by hand, or use some other schematic capture which can generate a SPICE netlist. KiCad will do that. KiCad also has built-in support for ngspice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf