Electronics > PCB/EDA/CAD

Schematic Symbol for a Heat Sink

(1/3) > >>

sdscotto:
I've looked all over and can't find an official or standard schematic symbol for a heatsink.

Anyone have a favorite they can point me towards?

Thanks in advance,
scotto

Uncle Vernon:
A heatsink generally wont be shown in a schematic, it plays no part electrically. If you wish to indicate additional information you could use something like the hot surface symbol.

sdscotto:

--- Quote from: Uncle Vernon on July 30, 2011, 10:39:43 pm ---A heatsink generally wont be shown in a schematic, it plays no part electrically.

--- End quote ---
I understand that generally it wouldn't be included, which is probably why a symbol was difficult to find.  My heatsink does have two through-hole pads that will be tied to ground, which is why I wanted to add it to the schematic.

--- Quote ---If you wish to indicate additional information you could use something like the hot surface symbol.

--- End quote ---

An excellent idea, thank you!

Alex:
The most common I have used and seen is a dashed line following the contour of a standard schematic symbol.

You can place an asterisk next to the symbol and as a footnote have something like: Power dissipation x, mounted on heatsink y, thermal resistance z, see mechanical BOM. You should also indicate if the heatsink is live or too hot to touch.

Zero999:
I think it's a good idea to draw a heat sink and will do so in future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version