Author Topic: Stitching vias  (Read 2533 times)

Offline joniengr081Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Stitching vias
« on: November 23, 2023, 01:31:24 pm »
I have found some text regarding stitching via. I am wondering how about if the two reference planes are power planes with different voltages on them. Can we also use stitching via between them if a signal is routed over the split ? How about if we have 1.8 V and 3.3 V as reference power planes ?

Can this be two ground planes ? for example analog ground plane and digital ground plane ?

In case they are power and ground plane then it's fine to use de-coupling capacitors. But how about if both of them are power planes or both of them are ground planes ?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Stitching vias
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 03:20:22 pm »
In case of ground planes, you can stitch the ground planes together. The construction in your image is used when a high speed signal travels across planes with different voltages on them. If you go between 1.8V and 3.3V, then you'll need a capacitor between 1.8V and 3.3V.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 03:22:32 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 03:27:38 pm »
What if the ground planes are separated on purpose. For example analog ground and digital ground ?
 What if the two reference planes are power planes ? I guess we can't connect capacitor between them 

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 05:12:55 pm »
Separating grounds is no longer the recommended method, since the 90s. Unfortunately it still pops up sometimes as a recommendation but it is not good for EMI or accuracy. The only reason to separate it if you are dealing with very high currents.  :popcorn:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 05:48:13 pm »
Current is low but I think this is to isolate digital switching in high speed design from analog reference ground.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf