Electronics > PCB/EDA/CAD

Stop using 0603 or bigger resistors and capacitors?

(1/4) > >>

Faringdon:
Hi,
Due to the shortage of 0603 and bigger resistors and capacitors, its recomended to use 0402 and lower. (where power levels/voltages allow)
This seems a bit drastic doesnt it?
Is the manufacture of 0603 and bigger resistors and capacitors so complex that extra plants wont be set up to produce them?

0402's are terrible as resistors have no value on them, and they seem to tombstone/head-on-pillow  more.
(unless you have massive PCB runs where you can tweak the solder bath temperature and ramp profile to eventually get it perfect every time)

Feynman:
Yeah, "vendor suggestions" is the right thing to do. For professional and/or high volume production your assembler is most likely able to tell you what footprint geometries work best, i. e. reduce the probability for tomb-stoning. And that is not necessarily an IPC compliant footprint.

asmi:
I've been using 0402 parts for years now pretty much everywhere (except where larger parts are required due to voltage/current/power regime). Didn't notice any excessive tombstoning compared to larger parts. But they are much more convenient for layout due to their small size, as space on multi-layer boards is always at premium.

SiliconWizard:
0402 and smaller are hard to handle (well, 0402 is still OKish) for hand soldering, but otherwise, they are fine.

Of course, 0402 can be used only if you don't exceed its max power rating, which is significantly lower than for 0603 for resistors. So it's not possible to replace those in all cases.

As far as tombstoning goes, I've never seen any issue with 0402. You'd probably have to deal with a pretty bad PCB design for this to happen. OTOH, 0201 is a lot trickier.

asmi:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on July 01, 2021, 08:19:31 pm --- OTOH, 0201 is a lot trickier.

--- End quote ---
I do use 0201s from time to time (mostly for decoupling of big BGAs when 0402s do not fit inside the via field), but only ever had it tombstone once. They are a bit of PITA to place even with proper equipment (a stereo microscope and a good pickup tool), and you have to be extra precise with your stencil printing, so I only use them when there are no other options.
Also 0201s are a lot more expensive than 0402s, so there is less financial incentive to use them, unlike the case of 0402s compared to larger parts, when 0402 are almost always cheaper than anything larger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version