Author Topic: Which to Learn?  (Read 6598 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Which to Learn?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2022, 05:23:00 pm »
Finally, when you are using free/open source software, who will you complain with, when the software does not work as expected?
To companies that provide paid support for open source software. You can buy support for every major open source package (including Kicad).

And yes, software companies adopt subscription due to the sole reason of maximising their profits and to have consistent flow of income, which values them in regards to shareholders.
OTOH: having a steady outgoing stream of money is not good for companies either. If a company hits a rough time, it is good to have all the production tools staying available. Companies that rent everything basically get the rug pulled out from under them when they are unable to pay the rent.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Which to Learn?
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2022, 11:45:51 pm »
Do you know what Altium be like in 10 years?

Yep - exactly the same as the version I last upgraded to, because it will be that exact version. Doesn't matter if the internet dies, Altium goes bankrupt, Amazon servers go AWOL. Everything is here and will work exactly as they do now without any external access. All my data files will be editable with the program too if I want. The user interface won't suddenly change one day because some dimwit web developer prefers a white on cream design. That useful feature I can get to in my sleep won't suddenly be in a different place (or entirely missing).

The snag is that I might, in the meantime, have upgraded my OS to something which lacks backwards compatibility for the version of Altium I want to use. Then I can decide if it's worth paying to upgrade, jump ship, run a VM, something..., but it will be entirely in my control and occur when I want to deal with it (or not).

Same applies to Kicad, of course. And, for completeness, Proteus (although I have a recent version I also still have and use a 2011 version just because I like the separate tools). Perhaps others too. Fusion?  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf