Author Topic: zig zag pad spacing for self clamping connector  (Read 4201 times)

Offline lk.dgironiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
zig zag pad spacing for self clamping connector
« on: February 07, 2024, 01:18:05 pm »
Hello,

I would like to add a self clamping connector using zig-zag pad (see "Connectorless-AVR-ISP-connector" image for reference, found online)
On PCB I'm going to add three (or more) pads. My pad has 1mm hole drill, 1.8mm copper diameter, and 2.54 horizonal spacing, cause I'll going to use 2.54 pin header spacing male connectors (see image: "61300311121")
I'm wondering how much vertical spacing dis alignment is good enough to self clamp the pin header connector (reference "?" on "Capture1" image), if any have experience on that.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
Re: zig zag pad spacing for self clamping connector
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 02:46:48 pm »
Sparkfun has footprint libraries with "LOCK" footprints like this.  The offset they use is +/-0.127mm from the centreline.

I've found they kind of work, in particular to ease assembly.  But when used repeatedly, the mating connector will get bent out of shape and the locking effect decreases.

The following users thanked this post: lk.dgironi

Offline berke

• Frequent Contributor
  • F4WCO
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 05:07:34 pm »
I've found they kind of work, in particular to ease assembly.  But when used repeatedly, the mating connector will get bent out of shape and the locking effect decreases.
How about getting one of these: https://www.pomonaelectronics.com/products/test-clips/soic-clip-8-pin
Then you use some Dupont clips to go to your programmer, ~20 bucks.

Offline lk.dgironiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 04:00:18 pm »
I've check found the LOCK library. It's like you saying +-0.127mm, so 0.254mm horizontal spacing for the 2.54mm standard pin header.
Thanks!

I'm going to use this connector just once or two in the product lifetime, maybe it will never been used. Cause it's just a test point.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf