Author Topic: eevBLAB #69 - The Problem With Bitchute  (Read 6318 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
eevBLAB #69 - The Problem With Bitchute
« on: November 20, 2019, 05:58:13 am »
The problem with Bitchute, and how it won't be able to attract content creators unless it curates content on it's main page.
Please tell Bitchute what you think, they do at least listen.
https://www.bitchute.com/eevblog/
https://twitter.com/bitchute

Offline johnlsenchak

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • js@antihotmail.com
    • paypal.me/johnsenchak
Re: eevBLAB #69 - The Problem With Bitchute
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:19 am »

Subscribed  to  your  Bitchute   channel .  Bitchute.com  has   poor   "two factor  authentication"  when it comes to  website security  and protecting their user base.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:03:05 pm by johnlsenchak »
John Senchak "Daytona  Beach  Florida "
 jls (at)  antihotmail.com   http://www.antihotmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/john.senchak.1

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:49 am »
"Controversial" is a very personal matter. What is controversial to one person is a fact/belief to the other.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 08:35:49 am »
"Controversial" is a very personal matter. What is controversial to one person is a fact/belief to the other.

Sure, but when 99% of the content creators I try to entire to join take a look at the home page and then run away, it's a problem.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 11:35:57 am »
The underlying problem could be language/perception/emotion issue.  The term "curation" could be scaring them too much for rational analysis of the suggestion, so it might be better to talk about "showcasing a selection of videos or channels".  Perhaps, rephrasing it as follows:

You should use your front page as an introduction/advertisement to the service, for both content creators and consumers, with a small selection of videos, as a gentle entry to the service avoiding strong initial reactions; and to remind existing Youtube content creators how easy it is to copy their current portfolio from Youtube to Bitchute automatically.

Essentially, the current front page (Popular) would be the Latest section, a Popular section could have a few lists most viewed videos during the last day, week, month, and year; and so on.  Really, only the very front page would change.

The only human intervention would be to select the very few videos or channels showcased on the very front page, say daily.  It is necessary, because automatic selection of the available content is too eclectic for a lot of people, and scares them away from the service.  This is particularly true for the content usually listed in the current front page, and is detrimental to the popularity of Bitchute.

I'm sure many of you believe that this kind of word-work is useless nitpicking, but fact is, this tends to actually work in real life: you find out the exact terms that people hang up on, and rephrase them, and the entire message suddenly becomes much more acceptable, even though the only thing that changes was the wording, not the content.  Humans are weird and stupid that way.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:38:22 am by Nominal Animal »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 11:49:08 am »
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure they understood what I was on about.

Offline techman-001

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • Electronics technician for the last 50 years
    • Mecrisp Stellaris Unofficial UserDoc
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 12:30:48 pm »
The underlying problem could be language/perception/emotion issue.  The term "curation" could be scaring them too much for rational analysis of the suggestion, so it might be better to talk about "showcasing a selection of videos or channels".  Perhaps, rephrasing it as follows:

You should use your front page as an introduction/advertisement to the service, for both content creators and consumers, with a small selection of videos, as a gentle entry to the service avoiding strong initial reactions; and to remind existing Youtube content creators how easy it is to copy their current portfolio from Youtube to Bitchute automatically.

Essentially, the current front page (Popular) would be the Latest section, a Popular section could have a few lists most viewed videos during the last day, week, month, and year; and so on.  Really, only the very front page would change.

The only human intervention would be to select the very few videos or channels showcased on the very front page, say daily.  It is necessary, because automatic selection of the available content is too eclectic for a lot of people, and scares them away from the service.  This is particularly true for the content usually listed in the current front page, and is detrimental to the popularity of Bitchute.

I'm sure many of you believe that this kind of word-work is useless nitpicking, but fact is, this tends to actually work in real life: you find out the exact terms that people hang up on, and rephrase them, and the entire message suddenly becomes much more acceptable, even though the only thing that changes was the wording, not the content.  Humans are weird and stupid that way.

"I'm sure many of you believe that this kind of word-work is useless nitpicking"

Not me! I agree with you 100% based on 15 years experience creating automated web email responses for my online order business.

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 02:30:57 pm »
Having never heard of Bitchute before this, my first reaction was to wonder whether it was Bit chute, or Bitch ute.

Perhaps a comment meant for the current Your First Car thread?

Offline tineibous

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:46:39 pm »
Hey dave,

I just discovered now that you upload your videos on a self-hosted server and because of this you could try to run a Peertube https://joinpeertube.org/en/ on your server.

Peertube isn't resource hungry(AFAIK) and it's a great alternative to youtube if you run you own server and it's decentralized.

The decentralization thing is kinda hard to understand but basically is that others peertube servers(they call it instance) can talk with your own server, where if I have a account on peertube.social I can subscribe, comment and do almost everything (except uploading) on your videos without having to create a account on your server.

It's not hard to create a instance and it's a good alternative to the ones who don't want to use youtube but like to watch from your site and it isn't hard to setup a peertube instance

edit: This federation thing is configurable, so if you don't want to let users on your account to see posts from another server(for any reason) or vice-versa you can do it easily
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:48:16 pm by tineibous »

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 09:43:52 pm »
I had a look at Peertube once.  Massive javascript heavy (worse than youtube et al) and all of the videos were very slow to load (less than play speed).

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 10:46:55 pm »
You'd think they would at least comprehend that "popular" is not the correct title and it should be "latest" as you've said.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 12:43:50 am »
Hey dave,

I just discovered now that you upload your videos on a self-hosted server and because of this you could try to run a Peertube https://joinpeertube.org/en/ on your server.

Peertube isn't resource hungry(AFAIK) and it's a great alternative to youtube if you run you own server and it's decentralized.

The decentralization thing is kinda hard to understand but basically is that others peertube servers(they call it instance) can talk with your own server, where if I have a account on peertube.social I can subscribe, comment and do almost everything (except uploading) on your videos without having to create a account on your server.

It's not hard to create a instance and it's a good alternative to the ones who don't want to use youtube but like to watch from your site and it isn't hard to setup a peertube instance

edit: This federation thing is configurable, so if you don't want to let users on your account to see posts from another server(for any reason) or vice-versa you can do it easily

I couldn't find a simple guide to setting it up on a server?
I have a dedicated server running that stuff and a few other websites, so plenty of resources.
The forum and database run on two different redundant servers.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 12:59:10 am »
I had a look at Peertube once. ... all of the videos were very slow to load (less than play speed).
What Peertube needs is an easy way for anyone to set up a "cache node" using a Raspberry Pi or whatever with a USB HDD plugged into it. To maximize the benefit to the network, cache node downloads would be tagged as low priority in order to not consume bandwidth that can be better used to serve clients. It will also prioritize seeding files with the *least* number of active seeds. (So that, for example, MrTesla1337 and Joe Smith videos would have a chance to be seeded on a node that's also seeding AvE and SexyCyborg videos with well over 100x the hourly views. One more seed will not have any significant effect on a file that already has 10k seeds, but it will make a big difference on a file with 10 seeds.)

I also wonder if multicasting would help make better use of bandwidth. At the least, it should work well for distributing content to cache nodes and live streaming.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 01:04:16 am »

The following users thanked this post: tineibous

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 05:27:13 pm »
One of the most annoying things is that the search function does not work.
At all.
For a long time.

Another one is that the torrent links do nothing. Copy and paste the magnet icon results in a spinning icon in my downloader.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 05:29:29 pm by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline tineibous

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 09:41:25 pm »
Looks complicated  :scared:

https://docs.joinpeertube.org/#/install-any-os

It's less complicated than it looks but it needs a bit of linux shell knowledge, sadly they don't have any real-time chat like IRC to help

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 09:46:07 pm »
Yay, I wanted to check how Bitchute looks like, but currently it's down.

Anyway, what's Bitchute business model?

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 01:55:42 am »
Freedom of speech without having to worry about BIG BROTHER. That means they are a donation based system. What money flows in will improve the service.
Youboob :-- flags anything they don't agree with.

Offline TheEPROM9

• Frequent Contributor
  • I have a Kali USB and I'm not afraid to use it!
    • EPROM 9 Home
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 01:32:49 pm »
I have just created a channel on there: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/theeprom9/

Not sure how to get it to download my videos I have given it my YouTube ID.

Good to have as a backup, I really don't want to have to manualy do it.
TheEPROM9 (The Husky Hunter Collectors inc.)
Knowledge should be sheared freely to those who want it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146977913@N06/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vOnjz1G-aM8LddSbrK1Vg https://www.facebook.com/groups/118910608126229/

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »
I have just created a channel on there: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/theeprom9/
Not sure how to get it to download my videos I have given it my YouTube ID.

It doesn't download existing videos, only new ones you upload.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 10:45:48 pm »
Freedom of speech without having to worry about BIG BROTHER. That means they are a donation based system. What money flows in will improve the service.
Youboob :-- flags anything they don't agree with.
If this platform gets more popular they'll have to apply some hefty moderation as well. For both ethical and legal reasons. The reasoning being just a platform where people share ideas flies like a lead pig -it doesn't-.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 10:52:27 pm »
I agree. Less Hitler more independent thinking. Removal of the Jew bashing and the Neo Nazis would be a good thing.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 11:23:24 pm »
Okay, but then you are looking at hiring thousands of people and writing whole books of policies on what exactly is Nazis and how much Jew bashing and of which Jews in particular is reasonable or not. And there is no way you will please everyone or even a significant majority, so you have governments going after you, pissed off users petitioning advertisers to cut ties with you, shooting up your headquarters, doing black PR, etc and you have those users on both sides, each pushing you in opposite direction, and you cannot win. You become Youtube.
Channels start to disappear or lose their revenue for absurd and convoluted reasons, people whine about censorship, run away to another platform which is less regulated...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf