Author Topic: eevBLAB #79 - Bunker Shelving Storage BUILD + Moving Labs  (Read 4746 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
eevBLAB #79 - Bunker Shelving Storage BUILD + Moving Labs
« on: August 22, 2020, 03:51:03 am »
Building more bunker storage. Plus discussion on moving the lab.
https://storagesam.com.au/shelving

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: eevBLAB #79 - Bunker Shelving Storage BUILD + Moving Labs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 03:51:09 pm »
I bought used shelving, for a lot less than that price, though I did need to use 2 13mm spanners ( and a 13mm socket to make things faster)  to assemble it, but it was less than $50 for a similar amount of shelving. I did not have to buy the bolts though, had plenty of them already. Plenty of places have used shelving, and this is a big way to save money on the shelf storage, as you generally are not too worried about appearance of the shelves, just that they are reasonably clean, free from flaking paint and no major rust.

Dexion style sheet steel shelving is long out of patent protection, so there are multiple clones of the bolt together system that are, to the most part, nearly drop in replacements for the original Dexion system, though many of the newer ones use M6 bolts and nuts instead of M8, but you can often use the 2 in the same rack row with minimal issues.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 12:50:38 pm »
I bought used shelving, for a lot less than that price, though I did need to use 2 13mm spanners ( and a 13mm socket to make things faster)  to assemble it, but it was less than $50 for a similar amount of shelving. I did not have to buy the bolts though, had plenty of them already. Plenty of places have used shelving, and this is a big way to save money on the shelf storage, as you generally are not too worried about appearance of the shelves, just that they are reasonably clean, free from flaking paint and no major rust.

And then rent a truck or ute to go collect them.
That alone in the rental and my time would cost more than these new shelves did, even if I could fine used shelves (they do come up on Graysonline from time to time)
Vastly easier and better to simply buy them new from stock.
But yes, if saving $$$ is your goal, used is a good way to go.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 01:48:01 am »
are you going to be doing any kind of fabrication/chemistry/advanced assembly stuff now that you are using the bunker more efficiently?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:51:53 am by coppercone2 »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 02:01:05 am »
are you going to be doing any kind of fabrication/chemistry/advanced assembly stuff now that you are using the bunker more efficiently?

I'm not really into that kinda stuff, but I am going to set up a drill press and things and probably put the 3D printer down there. The bunker has a very long bench installed.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 04:45:52 am »
I have similar shelves. Check if there is wobbling of the sides as a parallelogram. Mine had that issue and was easily fixed using strapping. I suggest go out to Bunnings buy a reel of steel strapping used to reinforce house frames and trusses. Unroll the strap and use a couple of Tek screws to secure it in the rear of the frame, ie: the side against the wall. Works a treat, as triangular sections are very strong and it won't move.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/abey-australia-30-x-0-8mm-x-6m-galvanised-punched-strapping_p1090034?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgaCdq8y_6wIVRw4rCh0MGA_5EAQYASABEgJda_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 02:45:12 am »
I have similar shelves. Check if there is wobbling of the sides as a parallelogram. Mine had that issue and was easily fixed using strapping.

Nope, these are as solid as a rock. Similar is not the same as.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf