Author Topic: eevBLAB #81: Google BANNED LBRY Android App from Play Store  (Read 14369 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
eevBLAB #81: Google BANNED LBRY Android App from Play Store
« on: September 27, 2020, 04:09:08 am »
Google just BANNED the LBRY Android app from the Google Play Store!
https://odysee.com/@eevblog:7
New platform Utreon: https://utreon.com/c/eevblog
Subscribe on Library: https://lbry.tv/@eevblog:7

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline highlanderIII

Re: eevBLAB #81: Google BANNED LBRY Android App from Play Store
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 05:40:34 am »
As mentioned on the LBRY post, the app is available via F-Droid (https://f-droid.org/en/packages/io.lbry.browser/), or one can directly sideload the APK (http://lbry.com/releases/lbry-android.apk).
Back from haitus

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:55:20 am »
Why so much drama. Just use the web site directly. I never use stupid apps to access any sites and i am still well and alive.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Yansi, Tom45, Jacon, Yuto

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 08:51:39 am »
If LBRY didn't put that stupid "Don't do Evil" banner in Google color on their homepage, Google wouldn't be that pissed.

I told them that when they asked for my feedback before it was released, they said they wanted to keep a "non professsional vibe" and so kept it.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 10:19:10 am »
...they said they wanted to keep a "non professsional vibe" and so kept it.

:palm:

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 10:23:29 am »
Why so much drama. Just use the web site directly. I never use stupid apps to access any sites and i am still well and alive.

Tell that to young generation, everything must be "APP-ed", otherwise they will not alive.  :palm:

Edit : Just read the post above you, thats a fine example.  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:25:20 am by BravoV »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 12:34:24 pm »

Back in the 90's,  Microsoft got hammered for doing a lot less blatantly monopolistic stuff than Google is doing today...

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 01:49:22 pm »

Tell that to young generation, everything must be "APP-ed", otherwise they will not alive.  :palm:

Edit : Just read the post above you, thats a fine example.  :-DD

I don't see what does that have to do with "young generation" when every website is pushing their app right in your face whenever you visit it because it permits to do more detailed and more invasive activity tracking for ad targeting than what a browser alone can do. Also the mobile browsers were notoriously crappy and slow until recently, that's why this trend came to be.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:01:43 pm by janoc »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 07:25:38 pm »
There is obvious value to having an app. If you don't want to use it, then use the browser and don't whine about something that doesn't affect you.

First reason I can think of is an in app notification for subscriptions uploads.
Second is more tailored UI to mobile/TV. Not many people want to open a browser on their TV and screw around with typing in URLs, they want to select LBRY/youtube/whatever and it will come up in full screen with some basic selections and thumbnails.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 08:59:27 pm »
I wouldn't care about there being an app except that some sites NAG you incessantly to download the stupid app every time you visit in a browser. The one app I did use until recently was ebay, the mobile app was far nicer to use and made it much easier to list items, but then they made it expire, unfortunately the updated app requires a newer version of iOS than I use, so as a result I do far less browsing ebay, I guess the advantage is that it  is saving me money.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 09:08:59 pm »
There is obvious value to having an app. If you don't want to use it, then use the browser and don't whine about something that doesn't affect you.

First reason I can think of is an in app notification for subscriptions uploads.
Second is more tailored UI to mobile/TV. Not many people want to open a browser on their TV and screw around with typing in URLs, they want to select LBRY/youtube/whatever and it will come up in full screen with some basic selections and thumbnails.

Guess what. Not being caring about the stupid app, i still go with my business using the browser. You app lover however can kiss Lbry  good bye now.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 10:04:23 pm »
I wouldn't care about there being an app except that some sites NAG you incessantly to download the stupid app every time you visit in a browser. The one app I did use until recently was ebay, the mobile app was far nicer to use and made it much easier to list items, but then they made it expire, unfortunately the updated app requires a newer version of iOS than I use, so as a result I do far less browsing ebay, I guess the advantage is that it  is saving me money.

I have the same problem on an old Android tablet that I leave in the car, to view OBDII information.  The OS got "too old" so the app is no longer updated for that platform.  Emailing with the author of the app, he explained that if it was up to him, he'd still support it - but his agreement with Google precludes making new software for older versions of the OS!   Go figure...

Then there's the nag screen that comes up (despite no updates) when the car tablet hasn't linked with the mother ship for about 6 months, all the apps become "unlicensed" (error:  "App Not Owned") until I take the tablet inside and let it phone home.

I really, really hate this kind of sh!t and it just makes me not want to buy modern phones and it makes me not want to use phone apps either.  Sooner or later, I'm going to have to learn Linux, but I feel I shouldn't have to...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:06:08 pm by SilverSolder »

The following users thanked this post: nuclearcat

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 03:55:39 am »
I stopped buying apps after several that I bought and paid for became abandoned and OS updates broke them. If they're going to stop working with no viable replacement after just a couple of years then I'm not going to buy them in the first place. I'm accustomed to buying software and then being able to use it for 20+ years if I really want to. Companies act like frequent updates are a feature but I find it a hassle. Smartphones are a mature product, I don't want a new operating system with new bugs every year, I just want to get it set up the way I want it and use it for several years until the hardware wears out.

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron, SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 02:58:04 pm »

The millennials are starting to cotton on to this too.  One of them said the other day, "The want you to subscribe to everything that you used to be able to buy outright - so you end up overpaying, compared to before.  There's no way everyone can afford to have as much stuff as before, if this becomes the norm."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 07:41:20 pm »
I don't mind subscribing to a service, I recognize that there is an ongoing cost in providing and maintaining that service. Subscription software is a non-starter for me though, I absolutely will not even consider it. They always present it as an advantage for the consumer and compare the cost to always buying the latest version whenever a new one comes out, but in reality nobody ever does that. Subscription is a way of continuing to extract money from the consumer without having to come up with anything to compel them to upgrade to the latest version. Once software becomes a mature product  frequent upgrades are no longer necessary. I really wish Apple would implement a process for paid upgrades because I would go for that, upgrade to the latest version of an app when the existing version no longer works, but I refuse to keep paying out just to maintain the existing level of functionality. I have a major aversion to recurring payments, they're like 'vampire' electrical loads, individually a few watts or dollars doesn't sound like much but when you have 10 or so of those things pretty soon it adds up to something significant.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 09:14:03 pm »

Vampires, draining your life blood and giving nothing of equal value in return...   a good way of thinking of it.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2021, 02:56:10 pm »
Can someone explain why Google would ban anything from LBRY, when they appear to be the owners of Odysee and LBRY?

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 09:17:16 pm »
Can someone explain why Google would ban anything from LBRY, when they appear to be the owners of Odysee and LBRY?

Where did you get that idea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LBRY#Company

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 09:49:11 pm »

Where did you get that idea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LBRY#Company
If you Google for "who owns Odysee?" you get a number of hits from business sites that say something to the effect that "Odysee was acquired by Google on Feb 8, 2015".

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 10:38:02 pm »
If you Google for "who owns Odysee?" you get a number of hits from business sites that say something to the effect that "Odysee was acquired by Google on Feb 8, 2015".

Its owned by lbry, as linked. I don't see those results.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 01:32:37 am »

If you try https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/nimbuz, or other sites Googling for "who owns Odysee?" throws up, it says "Odysee was acquired by Google on Feb 8, 2015", but I just looked further and it also says it was closed in the same month. Another part of the page says its now owned by LBRY. So, this Google ownership seems to be something historic. Google has a terrible track record in media and messaging systems. I guess this was just one more of their screwups, and someone picked up the remains and ran with it.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2021, 04:57:28 am »

If you try https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/nimbuz, or other sites Googling for "who owns Odysee?" throws up, it says "Odysee was acquired by Google on Feb 8, 2015", but I just looked further and it also says it was closed in the same month. Another part of the page says its now owned by LBRY. So, this Google ownership seems to be something historic. Google has a terrible track record in media and messaging systems. I guess this was just one more of their screwups, and someone picked up the remains and ran with it.

No, that is falsely reported, Google have never owned or had any association with LBRY.

BTW, I will be helping out with the SEC-LBRY legal case.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2021, 11:18:40 am »
IMHO there is a very simple reason: Google doesn't want to support/facilitate exchanging illicit video material. Let's be honest here: there is nobody really keeping an eye on what kind of material is exhanged on Lbry/Odysee and there is no enforcement of taking illicit material from the system. Companies like Google want to stay as far from that as possible. It is utterly naive to think that Lbry/Odysee isn't used to share videos with awfull acts of (sexual) violence.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2021, 02:25:58 pm »
IMHO there is a very simple reason: Google doesn't want to support/facilitate exchanging illicit video material. Let's be honest here: there is nobody really keeping an eye on what kind of material is exhanged on Lbry/Odysee and there is no enforcement of taking illicit material from the system. Companies like Google want to stay as far from that as possible. It is utterly naive to think that Lbry/Odysee isn't used to share videos with awfull acts of (sexual) violence.

This is incorrect.
Illicit material is totally against the T&C of Odysee and LBRY and will be removed. It relies on reports to do this because they don't have the sophisiticated automated system like Youtube.
https://lbry.com/termsofservice
https://odysee.com/@OdyseeHelp:b/Community-Guidelines:c
But that's only the stuff on their own servere that they control.
LBRY is techncially a protocol like http is, and can be used by other people (software is open source) to share content on their own systems. But that's like saying a telco is responsible for illicit material.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2021, 02:40:00 pm »
So many armchair experts doing everything from not researching the facts to creating their own reality...   then arguing from a position of ignorance, but professing quite the opposite.

... well, that's what it seems like.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf