Author Topic: eevBLAB #83 - DJI Pocket 2 Camera Registration BULLSHIT  (Read 12030 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: eevBLAB #83 - DJI Pocket 2 Camera Registration BULLSHIT
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 12:56:47 pm »
Have you ever seen DJI videos? Maybe there is some way to do this in software, but with the DJI the "untouched" footage is great. You get much smoother transitions/rotations.

What's up with that video? Something's wrong.

Just look at the washed out colors on the GoPro. Everybody else on the entire internet complains of the exact opposite - too much color.

(Note the "Flat" overlays in the on-screen text, I'm guessing he's turned on "Flat" color mode in the GoPro's ProTune(tm) settings then hasn't bothered to color correct it in post).

As for the Gimbal stabilization vs. software? There's hardly any difference shown there, despite him claiming otherwise. Try turning off his voice and watching it again: GoPro is better in some, DJI is better in others.

(The "face tracking" on the DJI also gives some horrible movements).

Sound? Not much in it either.

nb. I'm not saying either is better, I'm saying that video needs a large pinch of salt.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:59:09 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 09:39:28 pm »
As for the Gimbal stabilization vs. software? There's hardly any difference shown there, despite him claiming otherwise. Try turning off his voice and watching it again: GoPro is better in some, DJI is better in others.

Didn't listen to sound or look at picture, those may be worse, all I looked at was the stabilization and panning smoothness.
Its just not possible to achieve the same effect on a gopro without additional equipment (steady rest or whatever).

Its probably going to be more obvious in a moving video like this:
https://youtu.be/kXIbSF6XLkY?t=140
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 07:36:59 pm »
I've been looking at the DJI some more. It does seem like a more capable camera overall although quite a bit more expensive after you've added enough accessories to make it worth owning.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 07:39:12 pm by Fungus »

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 08:41:21 pm »

Didn't listen to sound or look at picture, those may be worse, all I looked at was the stabilization and panning smoothness.

Absolutely correct.
In an “action” camera, the actual pixel count or frame rate or color balance is moot, if watching the video makes you queasy.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 08:08:31 am »

Absolutely correct.
In an “action” camera, the actual pixel count or frame rate or color balance is moot, if watching the video makes you queasy.

That's down to the algorithms used, not the camera hardware.

(I'm not sure how this has turned into a "software" vs. "hardware" debate. The DJI's gimbal uses stepper motors controlled by software and the GoPro has accelerometers/gyros inside it to detect movements. The GoPro really has the edge here as it can remove up/down/left/right movements that a gimbal can't).

PS: I see that DJI has non-replaceable battery. Hope you're not still planning to use it a few years from now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:52:09 am by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 03:35:52 pm »

Offline tocsa120ls

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronic hobbyist living in Stuttgart
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2020, 04:26:06 pm »
-------
Short circuit - long fire

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2020, 02:37:35 pm »
Just gonna update:

I bought one of these a couple of days ago. I was just about to pull the trigger on a camera when Dave posted this.

The choice wasn't based on stabilization, more on image quality and the ability to use external mikes, etc.

The one I got was the "Creator's Combo" which is really necessary, IMHO. Without it there's no WiFi, no mic input and you're forced to attach it to your phone via a flimsy USB dongle which looks like it could break at any moment (yes they sell brackets to support the phone next to the camera but you still have to take your phone out of its case and the whole system is terrible).

The Creators Combo costs more but it has a lot of useful stuff in it: Wireless mic, a little tripod, wide angle lens, mini joystick, plenty of stuff I'd also have to add to a GoPro anyway if I went that way and would probably cost more overall than the DJI.

Anyway: I made the decision based more on image quality, it hasn't disappointed in my tests. It's also a 64 megapixel still camera whereas GoPros are useless for stills.

On the plus side, I've discovered a whole bunch of stuff that I hadn't thought about, eg. The gimbal doesn't just work for image stabilization, you can set up the camera on its tripod and pan it around remotely from your phone.

Most reviewers complain about the case but it's very well thought out. eg. The screw hole that they all shrug and mutter over is for actually for carrying your tripod around. The hole at the other end it for attaching the wireless mic. The wide angle lens has a little magnetic clip inside it, as do the USB dongles.

Bottom line: I'm pleased I got it instead of the GoPro, although I think the GoPro is still a far better choice if you want to attach it to a skateboard and abuse it.

Edit: Here it is in the case with all the toys attached.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:33:04 pm by Fungus »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2020, 02:47:25 pm »
Send it back. Buy a GoPro. Job done.

GoPros don't need all that mechanical gimbal rubbish to keep things steady.

Or option 2: Get an old phone, do a factory reset, register it on there over WiFi. It's unlikely to work out though because it'll keep nagging you to connect that phone and you don't want to carry a second phone around just to use your camera.
GoPro is barely any better. The app needed for many advanced features requires an account and internet connection. They introduced that requirement with the intent of collecting your data.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »
Just gonna update:

I bought one of these a couple of days ago. I was just about to pull the trigger on a camera when Dave posted this.

The choice wasn't based on stabilization, more on image quality and the ability to use external mikes, etc.

The one I got was the "Creator's Combo" which is really necessary, IMHO. Without it there's no WiFi, no mic input and you're forced to attach it to your phone via a flimsy USB dongle which looks like it could break at any moment (yes they sell brackets to support the phone next to the camera but you still have to take your phone out of its case and the whole system is terrible).

The Creators Combo costs more but it has a lot of useful stuff in it: Wireless mic, a little tripod, wide angle lens, mini joystick, plenty of stuff I'd also have to add to a GoPro anyway if I went that way and would probably cost more overall than the DJI.

Anyway: I made the decision based more on image quality, and it hasn't disappointed yet.

On the plus side, I've discovered a whole bunch of stuff that I hadn't thought about, eg. The gimbal doesn't just work for image stabilization, you can set up the camera on its tripod and pan it around remotely from your phone.

Most reviewers complain about the case but it's very well thought out. eg. The screw hole that they all shrug and mutter over is for actually for carrying your tripod around. The hole at the other end it for attaching the wireless mic. The wide angle lens has a little magnetic clip inside it, as do the USB dongles.

Bottom line: I'm pleased I got it instead of the GoPro, although I think the GoPro is still a far better choice if you want to attach it to a skateboard and abuse it.
I have trouble understanding why you'd be advocating for this junk without addressing the issues this all started with. You can't use it without an uplink to the mothership. Image quality and stability are all for naught if it's a piece of crap from a company with little respect for its customers.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2020, 03:25:45 pm »
I have trouble understanding why you'd be advocating for this junk without addressing the issues this all started with. You can't use it without an uplink to the mothership. Image quality and stability are all for naught if it's a piece of crap from a company with little respect for its customers.

It's the way of the world. Pretty soon it'll be this or no cameras at all. There's NO WAY that manufacturers won't be doing it.

(unless some very strict new laws are passed)

FWIW I have an old phone with no SIM card for this sort of crap. Not my real account and network access is WiFi only.

That's what I registered it on, that's what I'll use it with when I need remote control.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:32:20 pm by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2020, 03:30:57 pm »
GoPro is barely any better. The app needed for many advanced features requires an account and internet connection.

Yep, anything beyond basic features seems to only be available via the app.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2020, 03:38:53 pm »
It's the way of the world. Pretty soon it'll be this or no cameras at all. There's NO WAY that manufacturers won't be doing it.

(unless some very strict new laws are passed)

FWIW I have an old phone with no SIM card for this sort of crap. Not my real account and network access is WiFi only.

That's what I registered it on, that's what I'll use it with when I need remote control.
It's the way of the world if you bend and let companies have their way. Consumers ultimately decide, just like Dave is doing here. Vote with your wallet. Taking the path of least resistance and selling your soul for a shiny trinket is tempting. We all like trinkets and we don't like trouble. Just realize you'll end up in a hell of your own devising with no easy options or ways out any more. You'll own nothing and you'll be happy.

Don't be naive about what's collected either. A modern smartphone is primarily a data gathering device and an internet connection ties you to your environment in all kinds of ways. Smartphones constantly surveil and map your environment for network and Bluetooth signals, along with other behavioural patterns. It's trivial to deduce what your other devices are and is what makes some industries a lot of money. You are being profiled and you'll be happy.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:50:49 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2020, 06:34:58 pm »
It's the way of the world if you bend and let companies have their way.

Have you seen kids today? They just install every last app without thinking. Even oldsters have told me they've got "nothing to hide".

I assure you that Dave returning his camera (if that's really what he did) will make zero difference to DJI. You want to make a difference? Campaign for new laws.

(which do seem to be coming, slowly...especially here in Europe)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2020, 07:02:30 pm »
It's the way of the world if you bend and let companies have their way.

Have you seen kids today? They just install every last app without thinking. Even oldsters have told me they've got "nothing to hide".

I assure you that Dave returning his camera (if that's really what he did) will make zero difference to DJI. You want to make a difference? Campaign for new laws.

There seems to be an awakening currently in the EU, USA, and China, that "big tech" is getting too big for its boots.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2020, 07:05:32 pm »

Don't blame "kids" for your behaviour, or for waving away of personal responsibility and accountability. Saying you don't have a choice and it wouldn't matter is fatalist and lazy nonsense. One could argue the same for littering or other detrimental behaviour and few would agree. Not to mention that research shows that younger generations actually do care about privacy and that they take an interest in the world they'll have to live in for a while to come. Different survey draw somewhat different conclusions but they all seem to agree youngsters don't care less than older generations.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-27/digital-privacy-surveillance-facebook-young-australians/9179240

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2020, 09:22:13 am »
...waving away of personal responsibility and accountability.

It must be nice to live in a world where you always get to choose and aren't ever constrained by necessity or budget.

Dave could do a followup about what camera he chose instead. Let us know the alternatives out there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf