EEVblog > EEVblog Specific

eevBLAB 89 Matt Koval removing negative feedback counter

(1/7) > >>

MrMobodies:

I think this change is going to affect me. If I can't see any reference that a video might be misleading and full of crap and is on top of the list by the good ratings then the platform is going to useless to me. I will never use or join video or shopping site with no negative feedback as a matter of principle as I wouldn't trust it. I might go into such a video site if I am looking for something specific though that I know is going to be good now and again but I haven't noticed any site with no dislikes as of yet.

Well if that happens I might be wanting to leave Youtube Premium.

It seems I can't even post my own opinion in that subsection:

--- Quote ---Matt Kova
2:52 You are going to get use to it pretty quickly  :bullshit:
--- End quote ---

Opinions and assumptions and sounds to me like he's being very condescending like you talking down to a child treating them in a stupid manner (like they are somewhat "thick") trying to get them to do something they don't want to do.

I will not get use to have details hidden away from me and I find that insulting.

--- Quote ---Matt Kova
and keep in mind other platforms don't even have a Dislike button :bullshit:
--- End quote ---
What other platform? Or did he think of that one out of thin air?

Well here is my opinion he sounds like a liar to me and maybe more to the story. I have never seen a video platform before with only positive feedback please but correct me if you think I am wrong. I have seen one review site (review.io?) somewhere where I 'd thought it was missing the negative feedback but it was actually in different place. Crossed a few lines out.  I am sorry I think I have over reacted there.

Update to YouTube's dislike count
202,752 views 10/11/21
YouTube Creators
15k thumbs down and 6.3k thumbs up.

Now that must say something.

I think one solution they could try is to only allow the viewer to leave any kind of rating after watching a duration or a percent of it and someone mentioned in EEVBLOG IRC "Watcher" to put a cap in place whether that'd be on the viewers or the content.

See the disapproval mounting on that video by the 1000's every couple of hours or so:

--- Quote ---11/11/21  20:57  Views:   552135   Comments:   40096  UP: 8.5k   DOWN:   33k  Ratio: 1:3
12/11/21  23:46  Views:   964635   Comments:   68049  UP:  10k   DOWN:   61k  Ratio: 1:6.1
13/11/21  22:22  Views: 1210553   Comments:   81138  UP:  12k   DOWN:   85k  Ratio: 1:7.08
14/11/21  23:44  Views: 1377644   Comments:   86167  UP:  13k   DOWN: 110k  Ratio: 1:8.46
15/11/21  22:14  Views: 1472492   Comments:   91799  UP:  13k   DOWN: 132k  Ratio: 1:10.15
16/11/21  20:46  Views: 1538537   Comments:   95834  UP:  14k   DOWN: 152k  Ratio: 1:10.857
17/11/21  01:48  Views: 1562046   Comments:   97034  UP:  14k   DOWN: 157k  Ratio: 1:11.2  out ratioed by 10+
18/11/21  01:20  Views: 1673418   Comments: 101523  UP:  15k   DOWN: 180k  Ratio: 1:12
Using a browser profile: with older cache that shows the stats
19/11/21  00:51  Views: 1778663   Comments: 109001   UP: 15k   DOWN: 201K  Ratio  13:8.75
20/11/21  20:49  Views: 1939134  Comments: 101139   UP: 16k  DOWN: 240K  Ratio 1:15
21/11/21  00:27  Views: 1948765  Comments: 117564   UP: 16k  DOWN: 243K  Ratio 1:15.187

--- End quote ---

Only showing one stat per day to keep the post smaller.

MrMobodies:
Unsolved Mystery: The USS Pompano Submarine #TeamSeas

--- Quote ---SC4608 B 2 hours ago
It's really a shame that YouTube used you as a "nice guy" for their agenda. I'm sorry Matt, I sincerely hope the paycheck they gave you will be worth it when you step back and really think about what they are doing. They aren't doing this for the "small channels" and "safety" and it's apparent from the reaction from across the platform that the majority of users know that.

VIRUSSS1986 1 hour ago
Why feel sorry for a representative of the oldest profession?

Matt Koval 53 minutes ago
I get how it can seem that way, but I actually volunteered to communicate it to you guys as a part of my job, because I felt that hiding the counter would be helpful (I know, not the most popular opinion). Otherwise it would have just been a faceless blog post announcing it - which I dunno, maybe you'd prefer. But creators have hated that sort of communication in the past.
--- End quote ---

So if he "feels" something he can pretty much do what he likes with Youtube because he thinks he is somewhat self entitled to do so apart of his job to make assumptions for everybody and how they are going to feel afterwards.

Removed my comment in response to one he replied to.

I had a "feeling" this might happen.

Click any rating and no counters on that particular video:

His other videos had the counters on the feedback:

--- Quote ---Unsolved Mystery: The USS Pompano Submarine #TeamSeas
29 Oct 2021 5,859 views
Thumbs up or down Hidden

my gray hair. 😭👨🏻‍🦳 #shorts
11 Sept 2021 3,777 views
UP 121 DOWN 78

The SECRET to Michael Phelps' SPEED?? #Shorts #olympics #swimming
5 Aug 2021  2,546 views
UP 174 DOWN 39

rare old outtakes from The Fuplers! 😂
17 Jul 2021 1,990 views
UP 211 DOWN 44

the Fuplers REVEALED #shorts
2 Jul 2021 1,961 views
UP: 153 DOWN: 21

Seat Belt Safety Has Gone Too Far
30 Mar 2019 3,924 views
UP 262 DOWN 47

How to Make a Time Machine - with Video
9,578 views12 Jan 2019
UP 577 DOWN 26
--- End quote ---

Shame I had nothing against the man until he pulled this off.
His content doesn't appeal me not that's it bad to me but the feedback seemed consistent I can't see any abuse or such on his channel or videos.

I am waiting for the counters to be removed and Premium is finished for me and I'll look at paying more attention to the other video sharing platforms.

Deodand2014:
I've just been on YouTube and the changeover seems to have taken place, this is what you get when companies are run by people who only ask those who agree with them for comment.

MrMobodies:
You know this is so WRONG!
The statistics SPEAK for themselves. I still see it and this is now:

He is ignoring the statistics that 3/4 who voted are not happy with this change.

41,000 viewers can't be wrong on this.

Maybe someone could start a campaign on say Change.org to vote out this arrogant know it all "creator" (possibly won't happen anyway) who sounds to me like he is so better than everyone else that he knows the viewers better than they know themselves from everything he has said so far.

Out of touch with viewers and I am not sure if he was bribed or "lobbied" into it which that I have been reading.

On his profile there I don't see any channels, playlists or much to indicate that he does.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MattKoval/channels

12/10/21 05:35
Thumbs UP: 9.4K DOWN: 42K

SparkyFX:
Those counters are a bad compromise to begin with, because they are a substitute for a well thought through reply/comment, everything that needs to be reported is outside this scope anyway (minus the people that abuse the report function).

Of course i do give a quick thumbs up if i like the content to somehow show that i would like to see more of that, otoh i am sure creators would prefer to read an actual comment that expresses it more than that, but in both cases there is probably nothing to argue. If i however disagree with the content or just don't like the horrible presentation or a single issue out of all those talked about don't seem to line up with me, i would be required to write a comment to explain what it is to be fair and that's where that dilemma starts, i would need to take effort for something i don't like, criticize someone publicly although they put hours of work into it or it is just a result of my own misunderstanding. The dislike button seems to solve these problems, but just increases confusion.

IMHO trying to extrapolate specific information out of those counters is a mistake most of the time. E.g. a video with factual errors but high viewership approval would have a misleading counter as would a video stating truths but with a high disapproval rate because people do not like the facts presented or think the video should not be in their feed. Wouldn't be a problem if there was no such counter and people would actually need to write a comment and someone would read them. (I'm naive  ;))

But youtube is an attention economy, not all devices are suitable to do more than a like or dislike (i.e. TV) and any metric was put there for advertisers and creators to have something to argue about or somehow estimate a value from it. Which would work until it is weaponized, faked or misjudged; and it is always just a question of time if something is weaponized, faked or misjudged. Even comments...

If youtube decides to remove it i don't see a big harm to the community, the problematic judgment derived from it was probably ill-fated anyway. Because people that correctly understand the meaning of their approval rating will eventually "self-correct" and produce upcoming videos in a way that works for them - or they don't give a sh*t if it works for them too, but hiding the counter will not attract more viewers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version