Author Topic: Regarding the Apollo Videos  (Read 3434 times)

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
Regarding the Apollo Videos
« on: July 27, 2019, 08:03:02 am »
Having sat through all of the EEVBlog Discover coverage I have some observations.

1. Thank you for all of them, it's good to see what went on and the people behind this historic event.

2. Eliminate all of the people saying thank you to someone else and you've lost about a quarter of the content. By the end all the mutual thank you´s and back slapping got a little too much and I fast forwarded through some of it.

3. The mention at the start of some of the speeches of the Aboriginal people seemed strange, out of place and (maybe) a little scripted. Looking at the photographs I am reasonably sure that none of the native Australians played a part in the events of fifty years ago although I am willing to be corrected here. Is this just more political correctness creeping in or is there an 'Australian' reason for mentioning the Aboriginal people multiple times?

4. The video quality could have been better, especially when diagrams were shown on the screen.

5. The guy who turned up in the replica Apollo era space suit deserves a prize, well done that man  :-+

Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Re: Regarding the Apollo Videos
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 10:56:05 am »
Having sat through all of the EEVBlog Discover coverage I have some observations.

3. The mention at the start of some of the speeches of the Aboriginal people seemed strange, out of place and (maybe) a little scripted. Looking at the photographs I am reasonably sure that none of the native Australians played a part in the events of fifty years ago although I am willing to be corrected here. Is this just more political correctness creeping in or is there an 'Australian' reason for mentioning the Aboriginal people multiple times?

Historical treatment of Aboriginal Australians (aka black fellas) has led to a recent desire to acknowledge that the continent wasn't empty before White settlement. Search on "terra nullius" for more.  It is not universally adopted or widespread but it isn't really correct to call it PC. It really just acknowledges the fact that this continent has had people living here for tens of thousands of years prior to colonisation by white fellas.

Australia has a pretty miserable legacy of ill treatment of Aborigines and this is a simple first step to effect some form of reconciliation. One small step as it were.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 12:00:53 pm »
   I think that you just made the OP's point.  No one is disagreeing about the Black Fella being in Australia before the whites, but a documentary about the Apollo program isn't the place to go into that history. Particularly since Apollo was an American program and the Black Fellas are in Australia!  I started to watch one of the Apollo documentaries here in the US and over 1/3 of it was about the race riots that went on in the 1960s and the bad race relations and about NASA's token black hiring, etc etc etc.  I turned it off.  I'm fed up with trying to watch anything on TV because EVERY show seems to include a mandatory brow beating of the whites because we didn't do enough for XYZ minority! The US documentary went into GREAT lengths to talk about how "suppressed" the Blacks were but left out all of the other minorities. What about the Asians, the American Indians, the Samoans, the native Hawaians?  And How Dare, that they forget the Māori people of New Zealand! I'm sure that some diligent Social Justice researcher could find someway that they contributed the Apollo program!  Geez we could go all day listing minorities that feel the need to be "offended" about something! But documentaries about Apollo isn't the place to do it!

The complete shift from real science and accomplishments such as Apollo to today's never ending Social Justice brow beating shows just far that our culture has fallen IMO.

Wilfred: What you said maybe true but again you never said one word that in anyway connects that to the Apollo program.  Again you're PROVING what the OP said, the so called Apollo documentary spent large amounts of time on an unrelated topic.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:06:24 pm by Stray Electron »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 01:59:47 pm »
2. Eliminate all of the people saying thank you to someone else and you've lost about a quarter of the content. By the end all the mutual thank you´s and back slapping got a little too much and I fast forwarded through some of it.

A lot of the content is there more as a historical record of the event for the people who were there or couldn't make it. It wasn't supposed to be for a mainstream audience. It was primarily an event and reunion for those involved, so of course they are going to be thanking lots of people.
I was there for the 4 day event, had my camera, so thought I might as well capture the actual talks.

It's common practice at formal events nowadays, even big sports events etc to recognise the traditional custodians of the land you are on.
I went to the whale show at San Diego Sea World once and had to sit through a recognition of service men and women, so I guess we aren't that bad yet.

4. The video quality could have been better, especially when diagrams were shown on the screen.

Only way to get better is to have a dual camera system or get the original slides from the people and do a crap ton of editing. No thanks, not for non-mainstream talks.

5. The guy who turned up in the replica Apollo era space suit deserves a prize, well done that man  :-+

Yes, I think he was the curator at the Questacon museum.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 02:07:27 pm »
   I think that you just made the OP's point.  No one is disagreeing about the Black Fella being in Australia before the whites, but a documentary about the Apollo program isn't the place to go into that history.

It's simply a formal event common courtesy.
There is another talk I haven't put up yep with Dr Andy Thomas at a  huge theater panel talk. The "Welcome to Country" part was agonisingly long, and many people commented on that fact, like 10 minutes long. I didn't bother to record it. Sometimes it gets a bit much, but most of the time it's just a short acknowledgement.
Common to see signs here now "Welcome to *insert tribe* country as you drive around.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 05:32:02 pm »
OK, thanks folks.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 12:25:42 am »

Wilfred: What you said maybe true but again you never said one word that in anyway connects that to the Apollo program.  Again you're PROVING what the OP said, the so called Apollo documentary spent large amounts of time on an unrelated topic.

I didn't watch the documentary, so I can't say. My comments were just in general.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 07:39:41 am »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 08:14:46 am »
M girlfriend just pointed something out that I missed. To a non-Australian it's kinda obvious that someone was there before the Europeans arrived because of the place names. Places like Wagga Wagga and Yellabinna probably weren't established by white folk and the kangaroo wasn't named by an Englishman either.

The same thing occurs in the USA with names like Podunk and Kennebunk

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf