Author Topic: Argh! RPi400 can't get a sensible answer!  (Read 4398 times)

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Argh! RPi400 can't get a sensible answer!
« on: May 14, 2021, 06:25:25 pm »
All I want to know is which RPi is the RPi400!?

I can get the specs, datasheet, etc. but not the RPi version.

When you look for "things" you are quoted, "Compatible with the RPi 3, or RPi4, and so on" but which is it in the RPi400!?!?!? |O

Thanks.  :-[
You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Argh! RPi400 can't get a sensible answer!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:31:36 pm »
It is the same thing as RPi 4 with 4GB of RAM, just comes with a keyboard case and a better heatsink.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 07:05:22 am »
Thank you.

That’s not the 4B then?
RJD

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 07:54:14 am »
The Pi 400 is its own thing, from the same generation as as the Pi 4B and Pi 4 compute module, using the same SOC.  Specs differ slightly between the fourth generation Pis, notably memory, speed and connectivity, with the Pi 400 specifically lacking the MIPI DSI display port and MIPI CSI camera port, and Audio/CVBS out, and also loosing a USB port to the internal keyboard interface.

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#hardware-compare
for capabilities of all generations of Pi, except the compute modules.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 10:40:39 am »
Thank you.

That’s not the 4B then?

If you mean the same PCB in a different case, no.

Software and performance-wise it is the same as 4B (actually it can run a bit faster because of the better cooling).

You can see what is inside Pi 400 here:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/raspberry-pi-400-teardown-and-review

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 11:37:13 pm »
All I want to know is which RPi is the RPi400!?

I can get the specs, datasheet, etc. but not the RPi version.

When you look for "things" you are quoted, "Compatible with the RPi 3, or RPi4, and so on" but which is it in the RPi400!?!?!? |O

Thanks.  :-[

Ask away. I have a unit here for review, and will answer you CLEARLY and without BS, about anything. :)

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 11:43:45 pm »
It is the same thing as RPi 4 with 4GB of RAM, just comes with a keyboard case and a better heatsink.

Considering the VAST array of data out there on it, I am surprised you said this - it's VERY similar, but your summary is wrong.

It is a newer "stepping" version of the Broadcom SoC used on Pi 4, except clocked @ 1.8Ghz by default (mine is manually clocked @ 2.2Ghz)
It lacks ribbon sockets for Pi camera or DSI display.
It has 2x USB 3 and 1x USB 2 ports available externally, with 1x USB 2 used *internally* for the keyboard controller.
It lacks the 3.5mm analogue A/V socket present on the Pi 4.
The keyboard is OKAY-ish, but VERY VERY much built DOWN to a price; mine and that of others, has experienced the heat-staked "rivets" that hold the steel backplate of the keyboard, popping out and breaking off. The kb also has a VERY "clacky", hollow plasticky feel to it, even compared to VERY cheap BT keyboards.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 11:46:19 pm by eti »

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 04:41:22 pm »
Thanks eti. I wasn't notified of your reply until today!

What I was trying to do was to understand when an advert for some peripheral, etc. says "... for RPI 4" does this mean it's also for the 400.
RJD

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 04:10:07 pm »
Thanks eti. I wasn't notified of your reply until today!

What I was trying to do was to understand when an advert for some peripheral, etc. says "... for RPI 4" does this mean it's also for the 400.

What kind of peripheral?  It probably matters..

The Pi 400 has the same 40 pin header as all the other PIs if that is the issue.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-400-unit/

I haven't tried it but the Pi 400 is set up for dual monitors right out of the box.

I use my 400 as an ordinary workstation.  It works really well!  If also runs Digilent's Waveforms software so I can use my Analog Discovery 2 to interact with projects using the header.  I2C, SPI, UART, that kind of thing.  Very nice...

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 06:48:29 pm »
If also runs Digilent's Waveforms software so I can use my Analog Discovery 2 to interact with projects using the header.  I2C, SPI, UART, that kind of thing.  Very nice...

How much was it? Here, I looked at Discovery2 to *cheaply* acquire the frequency response(1) of a couple of audio circuits with the frequency bandwidth limited to the sub-range [200..20K] hz. Unfortunately it was overpriced (400 euro) and I had to give up.

(1) I seriously need to acquire the phase, otherwise I would just use a sampler coupled with a programmable DDS, for  say, less than 100 euro of cost.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 07:55:57 pm »
I personally don't see much point with it. A RPi4, with 4GB, a dedicated case, and an additional keyboard (many of us have one spare laying around anyway...) that will be much better than the one in the RPi400, and you're all set. For cheaper. Even with the RPi4 8GB, this will be cheaper or same price, especially if you already have the keyboard. I know some will find it handy to have it all in one package, but as others have noted, construction is really meh IMHO, so this isn't really worth it. But, if it pleases some, hey, why not!

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 08:55:08 pm »
It makes a nice retro computer with the matching emulator. For example emulating an Amiga. Much nicer feeling than a Pi with separate keyboard.

Just as an example.

Offline CCitizenTO

• Contributor
  • What's your favorite element?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 06:21:23 pm »
I got a Pi4 8GB Model as a desktop replacement kit because I thought I'd need more RAM. Turns out I could have gotten by with 4GB of RAM and used a Pi400 instead.

I believe the primary differences between Pi4 and Pi400 are it's missing one USB port (which the Pi400 uses for the keyboard). The Pi400 is clocked at a higher speed even without overclocking because it's got a huge heatsink... Also Pi400 is only available with 4GB of RAM. Internally the board is much different and does not resemble the typical credit card form factor of the normal RPi models have had since their introduction.

Offline blubillcanada

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 03:28:17 am »
I got a Pi4 8GB Model as a desktop replacement kit because I thought I'd need more RAM. Turns out I could have gotten by with 4GB of RAM and used a Pi400 instead.

I believe the primary differences between Pi4 and Pi400 are it's missing one USB port (which the Pi400 uses for the keyboard). The Pi400 is clocked at a higher speed even without overclocking because it's got a huge heatsink... Also Pi400 is only available with 4GB of RAM. Internally the board is much different and does not resemble the typical credit card form factor of the normal RPi models have had since their introduction.

Added bonus, all the 8GB models will run at 1.8GHz by default with the latest Raspian OS "Bullseye".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf