Author Topic: Azure  (Read 1643 times)

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Azure
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:51:06 pm »
Anyone using (or used) Azure RTOS? Only found out about it today, and I am deeply suspicious that it's a Microsoft product (albeit apparently free). Clearly, they want in on the IoT market and expect some kind of payback from it, but is it comparable to FreeRTOS and the like?

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Azure
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 07:19:34 am »
Anyone using (or used) Azure RTOS? Only found out about it today, and I am deeply suspicious that it's a Microsoft product (albeit apparently free). Clearly, they want in on the IoT market and expect some kind of payback from it, but is it comparable to FreeRTOS and the like?

As you might already know Azure RTOS is actually ex- ThreadX

Just make sure what you are familiar with MS licensing before commit to 'free' world of usage :)

https://github.com/azure-rtos/threadx/blob/master/LICENSED-HARDWARE.txt

and Q&A

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/rtos/

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Azure
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 08:33:28 am »
As you might already know..

No, didn't have a clue :)

Just make sure what you are familiar with MS licensing

Thanks. On the one hand that's not surprising (use for free to get nums on seats, then charge once they're locked in and ready to ship), and it was probably the github location that suckered me. But on the other hand it is licensed for some specific MCUs, such as STM and PIC. The implication is that those manufacturers are paying Microsoft to let their users run this, and I wouldn't have thought that would come cheap. STM already use FreeRTOS so are they paying to switch for some reason that might be important (maybe Amazon are trying to monetize it now, or it's too common and does differentiate their chips enough).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf