Author Topic: BeagleV - A RISC-V SBC running Linux  (Read 5840 times)

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
BeagleV - A RISC-V SBC running Linux
« on: January 13, 2021, 11:51:05 pm »
RISC-V Linux-running SBC

https://beagleboard.org/beaglev

Along with @SeeedStudio and StarFive, @BeagleBoardOrg just announced BeagleV™—an affordable 64-bit multicore @RISC_V credit-card sized computer designed to run @LinuxFoundation #Linux. Discover more at http://BeagleV.org.

Relatively beefy specs too:

Processor   
• RISC-V U74 Dual core with 2MB L2 cache @ 1.0GHz
• Vision DSP Tensilica-VP6 for computing vision
• NVDLA Engine 1 core (configuration 2048 MACs@800MHz )
• Neural Network Engine (1024MACs@500MHz)

Memory   
• 8GB LPDDR4 (2 x 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM)

Video Processing   
• Video Decoder (H264/H265) up to 4K@60FPS; Support Dual stream decoding for 2K@30FPS each
• Dual channels of ISP, each channel support up to 4K@30FPS
• 2 x MIPI-CSI, 1 x MIPI-DSI
• 1 x HDMI 1.4 support up to 1080P@60fps
• Support MIPI-CSI TX for video output after ISP and AI processing
• JPEG encoder/decoder

Peripherals   
• 4 x USB 3.0 Ports
• 1 x Gigabit Ethernet
• 1 x 3.5mm Audio jack
• Support TRNG and OTP
• Support DMAC, QSPI and other peripheral
• Dedicated Audio Processing DSP and sub-system
• 40 Pin GPIO Header (28 x GPIO, I2C, I2S, SPI, UART)
• System boot from SD card
• 1 x Wi-Fi 2.4GHz b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.2
• Power with USB Type-C (5V@3A)
• 1 x Reset button and 1 x Power Button
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:56:51 pm by hamster_nz »
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: BeagleV - A RISC-V SBC running Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 12:23:18 am »
From your link (it might get updated and change).

$119 for the 4 GB version and $149 for the 8 GB version.

Ignoring the early March 2021 release ones (to developers that they approve of etc etc), they seem to be planning September 2021, for general availability. (The website seems to be changing, and I can't find that date, again).

It makes an interesting alternative to the RasberryPI 4, at a not too bad, increase in cost, of around 50%, depending on what versions we are talking about, and comparing to.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 12:29:40 am by MK14 »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:36:31 am »
Video Processing   
• Video Decoder (H264/H265) up to 4K@60FPS; Support Dual stream decoding for 2K@30FPS each
Is that right? H.265 4k@60FPS and only an HDMI 1.4 port?

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:48:20 am »
The reports I saw at 2:30 AM NZ time (17 hours ago) said 1.5 GHz not 1 GHz.

As well as the "explain why it's to our advantage to give you an early one" page, several of the new stories had promo codes such as HACKSTER and CNXSOFTWARE for 10 people each to get into the first batch. I *think* I managed to snag one of those.

With weaker cores and only half as many it's not a Pi 4 competitor except in the broadest terms -- but it should beat a Pi 3 or 3+ on tasks that don't use NEON or more than two cores.

For dedicated uses or just experimenting it's a better deal than the HiFive Unmatched at $665, as both have the same CPU cores at (I'm presuming) the same clock speed. But the Unmatched's four cores, 16 GB DDR4 RAM (vs 8) M.2 SSD (vs SD), and PCIe for a real graphics card (SiFive demonstrates it with a $300 150W RX580) make the Unmatched a much better deal for use as a desktop computer if your time is worth anything.

*Hopefully* I'll be able to give direct comparisons (and with the $499 Icicle 600 MHz quad core U54, and HiFive Unleashed as well) by April or so.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:32:24 am »
it's not a Pi 4 competitor except in the broadest terms

Well, it does seem to have a number of features, which the RaspberryPI4, seems to be missing. Which if you want those features, makes it an interesting alternative.

Possible advantages over a PI4:

• Deterministic - Real Time Embedded Capabilities - according to their website
  • Real Audo DSP (Dedicated), which the PI4 seems to be missing
  • Other programmable processors on chip, that are programmable by the user. I.e. DSPs
  • AI hardware capabilities
  • Full sized HDMI port - not 100% sure, judging by the photo
  • 8 GB of RAM that maybe more easily used, fully by available OSs (reportedly that is a weakness on the PI4, currently)
  • More comprehensive/documented built in hardware functionality for the I/O user Ports
  • Hand written assembly language, maybe more viable and easier
  • Knowledge about this and other products, BEFORE it hits the market. Future PI versions, are usually un-announced, until they are on the market. This allows one to plan ahead, and make informed buying decisions. Rather than having to worry, that a new/better/cheaper variant, maybe around the corner

But in raw value and (fastest) computer power, per dollar terms. I agree, the PI 4, is going to probably win out. The huge PI4 user base, software base, add-on hardware availability, and relative cheapness. Make the PI4, near the top of many short-lists, in this category of single board computers.

Disclaimer:
The specific details (on their website), are somewhat brief, and not 100% clear (at least to me). So I could be mistaken, on the above list. Also, I'm NOT 100% sure of what the PI4 specifications and capabilities are, either.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:44:46 am »
The webpage is retarded. I loathe interactive graphics.

I have a BB black and i was building a standalone testing/programming rig around it, but due to lack of processing power (and me writing GPU heavy programs) i ended up designing an USB board for a windows PC. Pity, i really enjoyed the learning process.
Does this have a separate "MCU" core to make up for the lack of PRUs?

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:06:18 pm »
what is the "Neural Network Engine" ?  :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 08:48:48 pm »
what is the "Neural Network Engine" ?  :o

At first approximation. It is a dedicated multiply/sum/clamp value engine.

You load a 'model', set up the engine and start it running.

It multiples the inputs values by weight, sums the total for each 'neuron' then processes the total to generate that neuron's state.
Three levels of this and you can tell muffins from chihuahuas
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

The following users thanked this post: JohnG, DiTBho

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 09:06:31 pm »

Pretty cool. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:51 pm »
The webpage is retarded. I loathe interactive graphics.

Sadly this is the fashion for everything. Just try to find a web designer who doesn't want to do this.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 01:20:55 am »
It multiples the inputs values by weight, sums the total for each 'neuron' then processes the total to generate that neuron's state.
How does that differ from a more general purpose DSP?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 01:40:16 am »
How does that differ from a more general purpose DSP?

Apart from NPUs usually having reduced precision compared to a DSP, not much.

The 'models' used generally have more structure to them than a pure DSP filter, to gather the sparse inputs apply the weightings and activation function, and because the networks are layered.

Offline jkridner

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 03:05:32 am »
Video Processing   
Is that right? H.265 4k@60FPS and only an HDMI 1.4 port?

Yeah, the DSI output is full 4K resolution/speed, but this version of the board has a parallel LCD to HDMI converter on it. May be fixed on the mass production version--not sure yet.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 05:00:46 pm »

Pretty cool. :-DD

You guys are overlooking the similarities!  It takes a lot compute cycles to differentiate them.  One might have fleas and the other might have weevils.  So they both have insects...

There is an enormous amount of work being done on AI and Deep Learning with Python.  There are some pretty amazing libraries available such that a complete idiot can get meaningful results with a reasonable amount of code.  Whether said idiot 'understands' the code is a different matter.  When the discussion centered around partial differential equations, I more or less followed along.  When it headed toward neural networks, not so much.  Working on it...

As the models get bigger, the idea of implementing the neural net a little closer to the hardware makes a lot of sense.  Similar to using GPUs for numeric computing.  Obviously, FPGAs get a lot of interest.

Let's see what happens when the board is actually released.  If the AI folks adopt it for the DSP capabilities, things could get exciting.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:27 am »
These are impressive specs, you could run that as your main machine...
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 05:57:01 am »

Sure, in the same way as you can use a Raspberry Pi 3 as your main machine, if your needs are undemanding.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 10:24:01 am »
Bruce, do you know if this chip has something even remotely resembling the PRUs so we can do deterministic signal generation? (i mean, if there must be a slave MCU/FPGA to do that, what's the point? i'll just connect the thing via USB or ethernet to a more powerful PC. I'm aware i'm probably not part of the target audience)

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 11:10:56 am »

Let define "main machine". To do what?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Online DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2021, 11:18:14 am »
The BeagleV is probably designed for micro-robotic applications. QuadCopters? Mobile robots? etc.

I am still running RISC-V inside Qemu, but yesterday I completed an experimental GccRust build.
I will probably buy one of these boards to test GccRust on real hardware, but first I need to complete the training.

Rust is not as simple as I thought, it's a very complex language for me. Putting money on a real hardware will be a good solid motivation to master it :D

I'd prefer a RISC-V board with a ePCI-1x slot ... under 500 euro if it's possible.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 09:33:14 pm »
Bruce, do you know if this chip has something even remotely resembling the PRUs so we can do deterministic signal generation? (i mean, if there must be a slave MCU/FPGA to do that, what's the point? i'll just connect the thing via USB or ethernet to a more powerful PC. I'm aware i'm probably not part of the target audience)

I don't know anything about this board and SoC other than what was on the announcement page. I'll get one when I can but that probably won't be until September.

I suppose the Tensilica-VP6 it has in addition to the dual U74s can serve the purpose of a "PRU"?

The SiFive Socs with quad U54 or U74 have a 5th simpler 64 bit RISC-V S51 (previously called E51) or S71 core for PRU tasks.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2021, 09:47:49 pm »
I'd prefer a RISC-V board with a ePCI-1x slot ... under 500 euro if it's possible.

The MicroChip "Icicle" board might meet your requirements at $499:

https://www.microsemi.com/existing-parts/parts/152514

It's only 600 MHz, but quad core (plus a real-time core). It comes out of the box with an SD card programmed with Linux and with the rather large (250k logic elements) FPGA programmed to connect the CPU cores to the peripherals, including PCIe.

You can just ignore the FPGA and use it as a RISC-V Linux machine, or you can enhance or replace the stock FPGA programming (it's open source).

RAM is only 2 GB vs 8 GB on the BeagleV, but that's still not bad.

For that matter, the HiFive Unmatched board is only 550 Euro, with quad 1.5 GHz U74 cores (like the BeagleV but twice as many), 16 GB RAM, PCIe and other stuff.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 09:51:05 pm by brucehoult »

Offline JohnG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 04:52:36 pm »

What if the chihuahuas are named "Muffin"? Seems like a lot could go wrong here...

Cheers,
John
"Reality is that which, when you quit believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick (RIP).

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:38 pm »
Necro-post warning: it seems like this project is still hung up on supply chain issues. BeagleBoard (the company) seems focused on the BeagleBoard AI 64 these days.

Even more AI! Nice!

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 12:43:07 am »
Necro-post warning: it seems like this project is still hung up on supply chain issues. BeagleBoard (the company) seems focused on the BeagleBoard AI 64 these days.

So why did you revive it, after two years?

BeagleV "Starlight" was cancelled through some disagreement between Beagle and StarFive. The *extremely* similar VisionFive v1 was released a few months later in December 2021, and the much better VisionFive 2 (quad core, 1.5 GHz instead of 1.0, Imagination Tech GPU 4x the power of the GPU in the Pi 4, M.2 slot, eMMC etc etc) is currently being delivered to early bird customers.

In around November or December 2021 Beagle said they would be announcing a different BeagleV board in Q1 2022, but this never happened.

The Pine64 Star64, using the same JH7110 SoC as the VisionFive 2 is imminent. It was promised for mid December, but it seems they've had to do a respin on the board.

Other higher powered SBCs are incoming in the next 3 to 6 months, including the quad Xuantie C910 2.5 GHz TH1520 SoC in a "compute module" style board (LM4A) from Sipeed and apparently a range of motherboards / cases to plug it into, including an SBC, a tablet, and even a $300 or so laptop.  There is also the "Roma" laptop advertised for $1500+ using the same SoC, but it feels vaporous to me.

And then the Intel "Horse Creek" SoC in the SiFive HiFive Pro, due late summer, which appears to be in RK3588 class.

The following users thanked this post: karpouzi9

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf