Author Topic: Does anyone here still know about pSOS?  (Read 878 times)

Offline david.givenTopic starter

• Contributor
Does anyone here still know about pSOS?
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:24:51 pm »
I'm trying to read the PHILE and PHILE+ file systems (I have a floppy disk flux-level reader project, and someone has shown up with some weird m68000-based SBC running pSOS, which runs off floppies). The official documentation (the 'pSOS System Concepts' PDF) has just enough hints in it that I've managed to reverse engineer just enough of it to be able to read some files, possibly correctly, but there's a lot of weird numbers and edge cases I don't know anything about.

Does anyone have any pointers? Not just documentation, but existing tooling for creating and reading these filesystems would be invaluable too. I did see a web reference to one once but like an idiot I didn't save the link and now I can't find it again!

Online eutectique

• Frequent Contributor

• Contributor
Re: Does anyone here still know about pSOS?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 10:25:40 pm »
Thanks, but sadly not! The document the API side of things and I'm really looking for the implementation side.

I did hear that pSOS was open source at once point, but if so I can't find any trace of it. I am sure there must have been some tools for accessing PHILE filesystems from PCs at one point. It really doesn't help that lots of people on the interwebs use both 'psos' and 'phile' for all kinds of other stuff. They should be more considerate, dammit.

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 08:46:20 pm »
Do you still need this? I have some information on Phile that I could try and scan

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 01:00:33 pm »
Yes, please! Apart from anything else, there seems to be very little information on PHILE on the internet and it's in grave danger of vanishing completely...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf