Products > Embedded Computing

How does one make a start in LIN bus?

(1/4) > >>

Simon:
If I want to communicate with another device via LIN bus where do I start? I understand the basics of the protocol at the hardware/software level but clearly this is nothing like CAN bus. There is a whole load of code that does things like map each device to one of the 60 bus addresses. The only way to find out how that works I expect is to buy the standard and then spend a long time trying to write code that is compliant with the standard. Surely the route is to get some off the shelf library?

Where do I start?

leeatljs:
Have you something in particular you want to communicate with?
The LIN standard has a few documented features to get things done, but talking to a specific device is left to the developer.
There are some software and hardware tools already available to get started quickly running on a PC (I use canalyzer from vector) although they are quite expensive.
The signalling can be done with any microcontroller with a UART.  The device addressing can be fixed, so each node on the network is programmed with its NAD during manufacture, or it can be dynamically addressed if 'auto addressing' is being used (this requires an extra wire).

Simon:
so LIN has 60 addresses. I buy an off the shelf device. There cannot be 60 unique addresses world wide. So each device needs setting up with a system address. how this works will be down to some protocol that either I learn and implement or can you buy the software?

leeatljs:
Each LIN bus will usually only have a few devices on it, say about 10. Additional devices go on their own bus. The addressing is kept simple.  Unless auto addressing is used, the NAD (its address) can be set by sending configuration frames.

cgroen:
When I did LIN, I got the PLIN-USB from Peak Systems. I would have pulled (more of) my hair out if I had not had it, highly recommended!
https://www.peak-system.com/PLIN-USB.485.0.html?&L=1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version