Computing > Embedded Computing

Quick boot on Raspberry for embedded application

<< < (8/9) > >>

SiliconWizard:
OK, I think the bootloader on RPis can't be bypassed, and as I said, it lasts about 2 seconds from power on to the OS booting. You'll see that if a display is connected - it displays some kind of rainbow image, and the OS then starts to boot when the image disappears.

So, the overall boot time (from power on) will always be over 2 seconds. In my experience 3 to 5 is achievable. Less than this, I don't think so. Just so you know what to expect.

eti:

--- Quote from: ralphrmartin on May 25, 2021, 03:57:14 pm ---Why not just boot directly from a USB 3 SSD? Wouldn't this be quick enough? It may not be the cheapest solution, but might be the easiest.

As noted above, you could also turn off unwanted services for extra speed: e.g.
systemctl disable bluetooth
systemctl stop bluetooth

--- End quote ---

Yep. I timed my Pi 400 booting from a "Leven" JS-600 SSD in a USB 3 caddy, to be around 15 seconds from cold.

eti:

--- Quote from: kripton2035 on May 25, 2021, 05:40:14 pm ---not sure you can play videos on the Pi with this minimal linux distro ?

--- End quote ---

"omxplayer" can play videos without a window a window manager, that's if you can stop it crashing.

Monkeh:

--- Quote from: SiliconWizard on May 28, 2021, 09:38:54 pm ---I see, and I admit I don't know what buildroot does exactly on RPi's.
--- End quote ---

The same thing it does on everything else. It's a suite of tools for (cross)compiling a kernel and userspace for embedded applications. It has nothing to do with the bootloader or the hardware of a Pi.

--- Quote from: luiHS on May 27, 2021, 06:57:13 am ---
Fourth and last attempt, and the same thing happens again, there comes a time that it becomes locked and no longer continues. In htop I  see four compilation processes (I suppose) in state D. All this on a Raspberry pi4 with Debian 10 (not Raspbian).
--- End quote ---

You appear to have essentially deadlocked it by running catastrophically out of RAM.

This is what happens when you try and use an embedded system as a workstation.

girishv:

--- Quote from: luiHS on May 23, 2021, 09:12:16 am ---Anyone with experience in the field?

I just need Wifi and the UART. If there was an .img file to create the SD, all the better, because it is complex for me to have to compile and it can take hours before it does not work.

--- End quote ---
The OpenWRT build system is pretty straight forward. But, you need a working linux system with development libraries installed. As you pointed out it takes few hours to get the build system up and running.

Send a personal message if you want an image.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version