(1/38) > >>

GeorgeOfTheJungle:
With 1, 2 or 4GB RAM, for 35, 45 and 55 £ respectively, and

- 1 * Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 * HDMI ports (4k)
- 2 * USB3 ports
- 2 * USB2 ports
- WiFi + Bluetooth + etc as before.
- 1 * USB C for power in (OTG?) Draws ~ 13 Watts: 2.5 Amps @ 5V.

Who knows if all those USBs + the ethernet port are still hanging off a hub from a single USB port like in the old ones? The "schematics" are here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/schematics/README.md but don't help much because they're incomplete "(REDUCED)".

A video:

Edit: Sorry Dave, I read this too late: "Use the Embedded Computer section for single board computers like Raspberry Pi etc"

Berni:
That is very nice!

From the benchmarks it looks like Ethernet now works at a full gigabit as advertised:
https://core-electronics.com.au/tutorials/raspberry-pi-4-vs-3-model-b-performance-benchmark.html

Something that most people glance over tho is the RAM upgrade. The older Pi 2 and 3 used DDR2 memory and the poor memory bandwidth on that made for pretty bad 2D performance of the GPU. The GPU inside of a pi is actually pretty fast, but asking it to just simply plonk down a few large textures makes it gasp for data trough the narrow bus to the RAM. Hopefully this should be less of a problem with the much more modern LPDDR4 memory.

I'm really not a fan of those micro HDMI connectors and i don't think many will need two display outputs so i would have rather seen them keep the single full sized HDMI.

dr.diesel:
Although I understand their decisions, i was really hoping for an M.2 version on the P4!

But WooHoo on the 4G of DDR4!

Monkeh:

--- Quote from: GeorgeOfTheJungle on June 24, 2019, 07:31:32 am ---Who knows if all those USBs + the ethernet port are still hanging off a hub from a single USB port like in the old ones? The "schematics" are here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/schematics/README.md but don't help much because they're incomplete "(REDUCED)".

--- End quote ---

Their blog post made it quite clear. The USB ports are all (except I think the USB-C as it's OTG) handled by a VLI controller hanging off PCIe, so no more crappy Broadcom USB, and the ethernet is a dedicated PHY for an internal MAC. Much improved, it's beginning to look like a real and usable computer. It's just missing a decent storage option now - a good EMMC would be fine..

coppice:

--- Quote from: Berni on June 24, 2019, 07:57:00 am ---I'm really not a fan of those micro HDMI connectors and i don't think many will need two display outputs so i would have rather seen them keep the single full sized HDMI.

--- End quote ---
I was skeptical of those micro HDMI connectors when I first saw them, but they seem to work pretty well on the numerous cameras which use them. You need to keep them clean, but they seem more robust than they look at first sight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version